Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Euromillions

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

Wheety wrote: »
    How far do you go with the gifts too? A sliding scale? I was thinking immediate family €5m each, that would be €20m between mine and the wife's brothers. Both sets of parents wouldn't want that much. So maybe €2m for each set of parents. That's only €24m.

Then close friends, maybe €3m each. Say that's 15 between me and the wife, another €45m.

Still have €91m left :eek:

Do I move onto cousins? €100k each? Friends who aren't as close, the same? Then they get resentful that they 'only' got €100k.

It's actually incomprehensible with that amount of money.

I'd probably be happier winning €250k on the lotto plus. Mortgage paid and extensive work done on the house without a loan. Set up for life then and no one expecting you to clear their mortgage too. Could still afford to give money to brothers but it would be in the €10ks

I have a small enough family but my extended family is quite big. How much is enough? How much is too much?

I suppose you could start by clearing all their mortgages.
    Maybe bringing them all off on a nice family holiday somewhere. And think about it from there.

I would actually prefer people not to know the actual amount i won... even family, but again as you say it would be hard to keep that a secret.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

WB Yokes wrote: »
    Ah i know its easier said than done. That would be my aim anyway.

How would people deal with family and close friends regarding looking after them? With that amount of money you could obviously make sure they were all very comfortable for the rest of their lives..

I think id just give my family x amount and then help set my friends up in business so they could make their own money.

That’s pretty nice for close friends. Must be pretty close.

I’d tell family only and trust them to keep it secret. Then I’d migrate to Spain.

Just move to a country or city where having 150mil is not of the ordinary.
    You could easily blend into New York with 150 mil - nobody would bat an eye. Plus they don't gossip anywhere near like us Irish.

Or Monaco. Or London for that matter. These places have billionaires. And plenty of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭facehugger99

20Wheel wrote: »
    Let them find out.
    Line them all up.
    Ill be on my throne with my cock out.

Why? - You want oral sex from friends and family?

Or you just want to show them your cock?

That’s pretty nice for close friends. Must be pretty close.

I’d tell family only and trust them to keep it secret. Then I’d migrate to Spain.

My close friends of which i dont have that many, i would look after as ive been friends with them nearly 30 years or just about my whole life.

Yeah i think a nice house in the hills above marbella would be my base... id imagine with that amount of money youd be on the move quite a lot for the first couple of years. Going and seeing parts of the world you may have never seen.

• Advertisement

The problem is close friends won’t keep a secret.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I would set up a " business" as cover. Get your accountant to run it for you. Something simple like a Centra franchise, it would run itself. A great way to mask your new Range Rover and countless global shopping trips, host of new girlfriends, golfing and ski holidays, motorbiking trips to Africa and Asia, racehorse ownership, wearing of brand new designer labels, constant late nights, brand new set of teeth made out of the same material they build space shuttles with, constant champagne drinking, like before every fúcking meal you have, new found social awkwardness and general boredom with your friends financial difficulties. Art collecting, scuba diving holidays, house swapping with rich financiers from the Cote D'Zore, collecting rare crap that non one else needs, drinking coffee procured through a Siamese cat's arse, diamond wearing, classic Ferrari driving, weekly makeovers, vomiting into expensive terracotta drinking vases whilst on retreat in the Hamptons for weeks on end . Speed boating with wannabe models and overpriced hookers on the Italian Riviera. Humble pastimes. Goose Hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

you'd have to declare a syndicate with whoever you're planning on sharing it with anyway, unless you want to pay capital gains on what you give away.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    It's not that amount in 1 go I think either installments over time or a smaller one off payment like America?

Pretty sure you get it in one go if that’s what you want, they do give advice etc if you want it. Apparently if you go in to claim it they will give you a pile of of cash to keep you going whilst everything is sorted out if you want, say 15,000 to start the ball rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Just to point out, there are Euromillions draws on Tuesdays also these days. Have been since 2011. But I don't fancy those odds much (200 million to one or something).

• Advertisement

€20m Million Close Family
    €24m million Charity
    €10m million Children Inheritance Fund
    €20m million - future grandchildren inheritance fund
    €20m million - diversified property portfolio
    €20m million long term bonds
    €20m stocks and commodities
    €6m nice garage of cars
    €10m in cash spread across a number of currencies
    €10m on a property to live in

Total - €160m

Perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Honestly, I'd end up giving most of 160m away. Put family members and some close friends down as being part of "the syndicate" that won on the deal that we claim to have won one of the larger Irish lotto draws as a syndicate (i.e. we'd publicly have won a million or so each), have a few quiet meetings with the local council to anonymously fund a swimming pool for the community centre, a youth centre, some other facilities etc.

I'd probably manage to get through 10m or so on doing up the house, a nice workshop somewhere near home, never working again, epic holidays with the kids every summer, skiing in winter, some nice cars, maybe a holiday home or two etc. but much more than that I don't know. My tastes are for simple, well-made things rather than "bling" and I find ostentatious displays of wealth extremely vulgar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

€20m Million Close Family
    €24m million Charity
    €10m million Children Inheritance Fund
    €20m million - future grandchildren inheritance fund
    €20m million - diversified property portfolio
    €20m million long term bonds
    €20m stocks and commodities
    €6m nice garage of cars
    €10m in cash spread across a number of currencies
    €10m on a property to live in

Total - €160m

Perfect

You haven't accounted for divorce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I would spend 140million on drugs and hookers.........and probably just waste the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Yep, you'd be a lot more divorceable with that sort of money.

Personally I'd buy Boards.ie, get rid of the lot you and rent out the space to a load of Travelers.

Id just do a runner if she wanted out... hopefully the kids are old enough to look after themselves at that stage. I wouldnt give her a cent.

D3V!L wrote: »
    Personally I'd buy Boards.ie, get rid of the lot you and rent out the space to a load of Travelers.

What would you do with the remaining 159,999,500 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I would purchase a subscription to Grammarly for the journal.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Probably buy thejournal.ie and knock them into each other. Think of the space :D

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

Why? - You want oral sex from friends and family?

Or you just want to show them your cock?

I might just want to slap a few people with it.

A true friend would be ok with a few cock slaps.

Offer an ex boss 50,000 if I can give him the old Roman helmet.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Advertisement

Ah that’s nice. Does he like antiques?

I might just want to slap a few people with it.

A true friend would be ok with a few cock slaps.

Slapping someone with your cock is likely to prove just as painful for you as for them.

With €160m to play with, I would consider paying someone to administer said cock slaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I wouldn't be putting anyone down as part of a syndicate. Give it a while and they'll be demanding an equal share, like that recent case.

Let them pay CGT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

If I won it, I'd just hire some marketing genius to take over my business and run it for me, I would not quit working since you need something in your life that you can feel achievement from. I'd buy a nice mansion in Dubai though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

El_Bee wrote: »
    has anyone ever won online?
    Janurary saw an Co.Armagh couple pocket £115m on the Euromills, they did it online think just before close of entries 7:30pm or so. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-46751276
    They gave most of it away to f&f, the strange thing is they actually choose to public with it.

Will only do the full Euromills ticket when it gets close to exceeding the odds of 139,838,160 to 1. €160m is a decent enough amount this week, not enough to live on, but it's a good start.
    Normally will do a couple of pick 2/3/4 or 5 calculated via the LOLN(expectancy/elasticity/trend etc) for a 'P+' value of 0.5-5. Cheaper to enter, and much easier to win something on, with 10% wins going to good causes.

Ocassionaly you hear of baffons winning the lotto, and turning their back garden into an onoffical stockcar race track, but one nice story in recent times, was the highly commended K'BellTrust winning a well-deserved 1m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    It's not that amount in 1 go I think either installments over time or a smaller one off payment like America?

It's the full amount within 48 hours.

Wheety wrote: »
    How far do you go with the gifts too? A sliding scale? I was thinking immediate family €5m each, that would be €20m between mine and the wife's brothers. Both sets of parents wouldn't want that much. So maybe €2m for each set of parents. That's only €24m.

Then close friends, maybe €3m each. Say that's 15 between me and the wife, another €45m.

Still have €91m left :eek:

Do I move onto cousins? €100k each? Friends who aren't as close, the same? Then they get resentful that they 'only' got €100k.

It's actually incomprehensible with that amount of money.

I'd probably be happier winning €250k on the lotto plus. Mortgage paid and extensive work done on the house without a loan. Set up for life then and no one expecting you to clear their mortgage too. Could still afford to give money to brothers but it would be in the €10ks

After tax, your brothers would only be getting E3.3m. Friends would be taxed even more.

After tax, your brothers would only be getting E3.3m. Friends would be taxed even more.

My understanding is that you can have the lotto split the funds up front so everyone gets theirs tax free but if you do it after normal tax rules apply. Could be way off of course.

salmocab wrote: »
    My understanding is that you can have the lotto split the funds up front so everyone gets theirs tax free but if you do it after normal tax rules apply. Could be way off of course.

You’d have to claim to be a syndicate. See how friendly people are when they start saying they want an equal share. €5m or €35m

• Advertisement

You’d have to claim to be a syndicate. See how friendly people are when they start saying they want an equal share. €5m or €35m

No I thought I read that once you go in that it can all be arranged, it doesn’t have to be a syndicate you can just decide who gets what and it’s tax free so long as the lotto are cutting the cheques.

Advertisement