Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What boardsies would you bring back?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Faugheen wrote: »
    I miss Gordon and his trolling of the trolls in prison.

I had no idea what was a "prison" so I just googled it there. I fhought first it was a forum fir people in The Joy or Wheatfield.

I had a quick nosey and for those interested there is a post from KikiLaRue2 about why she was banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,342 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Imagine a place for real prisoners? I wonder would they all protest their innocence? :pac:

Earthhorse wrote: »
    No? :confused:
    Dude we've established that you weren't that attention seeker from some private forum, I'm just trying my hand at humour!
    Noveight wrote: »
    Was MadsL a Yank who point blank denied they had a gun problem?

Yes! But strangely enough, a Labour Party supporter/ member. I'm still not certain how they reconciled that one.

Fairly knowledgeable poster, in fairness, especially on local authority issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Is WhiteWashMan still around?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

anewme wrote: »
    I had no idea what was a "prison" so I just googled it there. I fhought first it was a forum fir people in The Joy or Wheatfield.

I had a quick nosey and for those interested there is a post from KikiLaRue2 about why she was banned.

There's gold in them there hills.

I dunno when I first discovered the place, but many a laugh was had. Some of the longer threads from way back are absolutely epic. The level of pure spoofery on display is gobsmacking. I still have a look at every now and again, in the hope that a "debate" has caught fire, because when they do they are usually very entertaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

beks101's posts were always well written, and made sense.
    I don't know if she ever came back after she closed her account.

Sometimes it's ridiculously obvious when people rereg, short of actually saying, " hello it's me, blabla", they post in the same way, in the same thread...

Some we miss, some are silly gooses.

I don't know how you people can seemingly recognise people posting under new names. There's maybe a handful of posters here whose style I'd recognise, but for everyone else I wouldn't have a clue if it was a re-reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Is WhiteWashMan still around?

Him and Ruu.
    Old AH mods.
    Ruu had some post count!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

...I'm just trying my hand at humour!

I know.

Arghus wrote: »
    I don't know how you people can seemingly recognise people posting under new names. There's maybe a handful of posters here whose style I'd recognise, but for everyone else I wouldn't have a clue if it was a re-reg.
    You're not alone Arghus, most of us probably don't.

If only 1% of us can recognise previous users from their writing style or from their opinions, then all it takes is a nudge for the rest of us to say "oh THAT'S who you are!". There are some people here whom I'd have sworn are new users, and yet when someone points out the obvious, it's immediately clear.

Some people, of course, are retained in the memory for all the wrong reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

richindub2

If only 1% of us can recognise previous users from their writing style or from their opinions, then all it takes is a nudge for the rest of us to say "oh THAT'S who you are!". There are some people here whom I'd have sworn are new users, and yet when someone points out the obvious, it's immediately clear.

I think the only time my spidey sense would start tingling was if someone started going on about their nubile young early twenties wife and their idyllic life of raising half a dozen young children together, while earning big bucks being a shithot financial genius down in a version of The American Deep South that'd be too corny for even the Grand Ole Oprey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

RMAOK wrote: »
    Flutterinbantam

He's been back for some time

I always liked Millicent's contributions hereabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    How come she was banned?

Less than pleasant talk about Jews and the holocaust.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Mikom
    RunToDaHills
    Lux23 (know her from another web forum)
    Whoopsadaisydoodles
    Dudess
    The King Of Moo
    Biggins

..miss them all and their posts. :o

And then there are those boardsies who are sadly no more, either online or in real life, including

Pygmalion
    Rosabeez

...and a couple of others. :(
    RIP

Gone on to the great big boards forums in the sky...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I always enjoyed reading the Paranormal forum back in the day, despite being a complete sceptic. 6th was an interesting contributor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I can spot a re reg a mile off. A number of posters being lamented are still here.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    I can spot a re reg a mile off. A number of posters being lamented are still here.

62 posts?

It takes one to know one I guess!

Permabear - With his absolutely 100% totally real life.

My favourite posters were some lads, during the last recession (with total sincerity, by the way) asking if this was a good time to be investing in gold/ coinage metal.

The lad spent his time expressing some strange grudge against primary school teachers. Everything he knew about Finance, he'd learned from YouTube. It was a strange time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Proud to say that I've never closed my account or re-regged or changed my user name since joining up nearly 15 years ago, despite being through hell and back for quite a few years with my mental health and alcohol dependency.

Boards was, at times, a bit of a lifeline for me. :o

With good ol’ JK, what you see is what you get! :D

• Advertisement

Permabear - With his absolutely 100% totally real life.

My favourite posters were some lads, during the last recession (with total sincerity, by the way) asking if this was a good time to be investing in gold/ monetary metal.

The lad spent his time expressing some strange grudge against primary school teachers. Everything he knew about Finance, he'd learned from YouTube. It was a strange time.

The BMI poster had a strange grudge against Primary School teachers too!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Danzy wrote: »
    Less than pleasant talk about Jews and the holocaust.

That’s not what she said in prison.

I think the only time my spidey sense would start tingling was if someone started going on about their nubile young early twenties wife and their idyllic life of raising half a dozen young children together, while earning big bucks being a shithot financial genius down in a version of The American Deep South that'd be too corny for even the Grand Ole Oprey.

Ashamed to say I didnt cop this at all.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Raconteuse wrote: »

It's not too hard in a lot of cases.

Their views, posting style, how they style their writing, where there from etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

Dav. It was hilarious watching him tie himself in knots while trying to justify the unjustifiable. Eventually he just rage quit - literally !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Have had a few accounts. It looks flaky for sure but some people read waaaay too much into it - coming to all sorts of conclusions about mental health and so on. It can really be just as simple as wanting to stay off Boards for a while or just feeling like a new account. Boring reasons.
    62 posts?

It takes one to know one I guess!
    Indubitably.

anewme wrote: »
    The BMI poster had a strange grudge against Primary School teachers too!!!

I don't recognise that guy, so can't comment there. I work in a bank (burn the witch) but I'm not involved in the business side of things and am certainly not rich, but it's plainly obvious when you're talking to someone who is talking horse-shît on the topic of finance or regulatory issues. I almost feel bad for ridiculing that person, but really now, he was fooling nobody.

On a more positive note, WhiteWashMan has been mentioned already, and he banned me within a couple of days of my joining this site. He didn't suffer fools gladly and took no shït, and we could do with a few more of his kind around here.

My favourite posters were some lads, during the last recession (with total sincerity, by the way) asking if this was a good time to be investing in gold/ coinage metal.

The penny finally dropped for me with PB - though it had been miraculously just about defying gravity for an extened period before then - when he started banging on about the greatness of Finnegan's Wake in a thread one time. I don't have a problem with that really, but I just knew, knew, this guy was regurgitating stuff he'd read elsewhere and passing it off as his own opinion. Every cliche in the book, about that book - every hoary one liner used by a lecturer to a room of English undergrads - was used to prop up his argument. On the surface it was all very erudite and knowledgeable, but if you did actually know something about the book you were able to see through his spoofery and quick internet research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

Hammer89 wrote: »
    I liked a lady called Medusa back in the day. I remember her writing one time that she had some sort of serious health problem, so I'm worried she might've died but I hope not.

I'm alive baby, can't kill a bad thing :D

Ah Hammer, we bonded over our inability to drive. Hope you're doing well kid.

Bring back Smash, he was a sound lad.

• Advertisement

The penny finally dropped for me with PB - though it had been miraculously just about defying gravity for an extened period before then - when he started banging on about the greatness of Finnegan's Wake in a thread one time. I don't have a problem with that really, but I just knew, knew, this guy was regurgitating stuff he'd read elsewhere and passing it off as his own opinion. Every cliche in the book, about that book - every hoary one liner used by a lecturer to a room of English undergrads - was used to prop up his argument. On the surface it was all very erudite and knowledgeable, but if you did actually know something about the book you were able to see through his spoofery and quick internet research.
    That's exactly right. If you ever engaged him on a technical point, whether that be alliteration and romantic poetry or minimum capital requirements in banks, you'd lose him. He was a man of zero detail (except on that weird anti-teacher crusade) which was always a giveaway.

I didn't want the thread to go down this route, because I bet this Forum has had many more interesting posters than it has had chancers. Nevertheless, as chancers go, that Donegalfella is rich pickings.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement