Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,813 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I don't get the motivation for this guy and people like him.

Are they simply zealots or are they monetizing this stuff somehow?

We live in a world where Fox News exists, why not both?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭JRant

peddlelies wrote: »
    He ruled it out for the opening of the investigation, why does he state it gets very murky and is unable to answer concerning the actual FISA applications? I do get the point you're making but still he was able to differentiate between the FISA applications and the opening of the investigation itself.

The FISA applications were made in a very deceiving and one might say corrupt manner to the courts, it might not be political bias but they were done in such a way you have to question the intent of those making such situations. I doubt it was political bias more so just a bias in doing whatever it took to surveil Page and nail Trump. To me that's no better or worse than actual political bias, it's still bias. The guy who doctored the email tweets things out like "Viva la resistance" and "Trump supporters are dumb", how does someone like him get into that position of power in the first place.

The political bias angle is just a red herring IMO. What the IG uncovered was serious malfeasance by the FBI with respect to these FISA applications. That alone is shocking and needs to be further investigated. That level of incompetence should never be tolerated by any body, never mind one with the standing of the FBI. The granting of a FISA warrant gives great power to the intelligence agency and with that should come greater responsibility.

What’s clear is that despite the legitimacy of initiating the investigation, what happened after is an utter disgrace and needs to be rooted out.

It also calls into question Schiffs role over this past 2 years. After dismissing the Nunes memo as a conspiracy theory it now appears that Schiff either willingly lied to the House or was completely incompetent. Either way he doesn’t come out of this well at all.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,876 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

JRant wrote: »
    It also calls into question Schiffs role over this past 2 years. After dismissing the Nunes memo as a conspiracy theory it now appears that Schiff either willingly lied to the House or was completely incompetent. Either way he doesn’t come out of this well at all.

Anyone talking about incompetence in a sentence with Schiff and Nunes, and yet focuses on the former.... well...

Honestly, I cannot understand the dynamic of the Conway's marriage at all. George has gone all out on Trump on Twitter, then writes an op-ed questioning his mental status, and now this...

https://twitter.com/sppeoples/status/1206895643509301249?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 14,357 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

everlast75 wrote: »
    Honestly, I cannot understand the dynamic of the Conway's marriage at all. George has gone all out on Trump on Twitter, then writes an op-ed questioning his mental status, and now this...

Christmas dinner should be fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Setting up for future tv deals.

Anyone talking about incompetence in a sentence with Schiff and Nunes, and yet focuses on the former.... well...

Well what exactly?
    I’m talking about a specific example here, any particular view on that?

Well what exactly?
    I’m talking about a specific example here, any particular view on that?

My point is Nunes' incompetence, including being involved with an indicted person involved in the very topic he is to investigate, without disclosing it stands out a lot more than Schiff's.

So, by all means - the floor is yours. What did Schiff do exactly that was incompetent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Yeah it's a real shame. It is why the Nixon one never really gained any traction with the public, and was quickly forgotten about!

Ah that one was interesting! This one isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,792 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Ah that one was interesting! This one isn't.

This one's much, much worse than Nixon's. Nixon's was so secretive and took so long, by the time impeachment came around it was already over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Trump has released a six page letter rambling on about impeachment and Nancy pelosi. And the women burned at the stake during the Salem Witch trials were treated better than he has been amongst other mad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

It'll be some craic if he ends up testifying. Dems should just goad him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭abff

Don is so childish that simple reverse psychology would get him to testify. All they have to do is let slip that they are scared of having him testify and his ego would demand being allowed to do so. Any attempt by his advisors to dissuade him would be seen by him as anti-Trumpism.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

That letter is one hell of a read, a good collaborative effort obviously as some of the words just aren't in his vocabulary but to think, that will be in the record books now forever also :)

Mitch McConnell is another one, some man he is to say the ridiculous but with a completely straight face. He won't call the witnesses the dems want because helping them make their case would "hardly be impartial" the same man who has also said there is no distance between the senate and the White House in this matter and that under no circumstances will the president be removed.

Ive said it before and I'll say it again, if this were a TV show there would be uproar with all the plot holes and unbelievability of it all.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

As Miley would say, well holy god. That is some rant.

My point is Nunes' incompetence, including being involved with an indicted person involved in the very topic he is to investigate, without disclosing it stands out a lot more than Schiff's.

So, by all means - the floor is yours. What did Schiff do exactly that was incompetent.

It's almost like none of that has any bearing whatsoever on Schiff misleading the House for over 2 years on the FISA issue. Nunes has his own questions to answer and just like a stopped clock he could be correct every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Is there a link to the letter? Lindsay Graham made a similar comparison between the witches and Don late last month.

aloyisious wrote: »
    Is there a link to the letter? Lindsay Graham made a similar comparison between the witches and Don late last month.

Here you go https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/politics/read-president-trumps-letter-to-house-speaker-nancy-pelosi-decrying-impeachment

He's a gas man altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

It's almost like none of that has any bearing whatsoever on Schiff misleading the House for over 2 years on the FISA issue. Nunes has his own questions to answer and just like a stopped clock he could be correct every now and again.

Sorry, I'm not sure I follow this.

Would you mind explaining what you mean by Schiff misleading the house for over 2 years in the FISA issue?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭valoren

That letter reeks of a rattled individual. I'm sure Pelosi will be doing an "Erdogan" with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭abff

I wonder is he demented enough to actually believe any of that unbelievable drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

valoren wrote: »
    That letter reeks of a rattled individual.

Its a totally unhinged rant/ polemic from someone who says he can't wait for the Senate trial but is totally bricking it.

In the light of Moscow Mitch's refusal to hold a fair trial in the Senate, I'd throw the cat among the pigeons tomorrow and go along with Lawrence Tribe's thinking, i.e. hold off on sending the articles to the Senate until it demonstrates that it will hold a fair trial. The Chinese water torture effect of such an approach will be accompanied by an ever increasing avalanche of revelations of how Trump is continuing to abuse his power, which continues to make matters even worse. As 2020 comes in, there is nothing but bad news ahead for the Donald, as he runs out of road with likely SCOTUS decisions on tax returns etc , as well as investigations into Giuliani and his band of thieves (Parnas et al) that are going to come to a conclusion. And of course, the SDNY has not gone away in respect of its other investigations from which more chickens will ultimately come home to roost.

abff wrote: »
    I wonder is he demented enough to actually believe any of that unbelievable drivel.

He probably is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

On MSN. Rick Gates given 45 days in prison for lying to FBI and conspiracy to hide income from his and Paul Manafort's lobbying work in Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,342 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It reads like a '' Prison'' defence you'd see on boards over a ban .

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

valoren wrote: »
    That letter reeks of a rattled individual. I'm sure Pelosi will be doing an "Erdogan" with it.
    The bit where he says that the women who ended up burnt alive in Salem got more due process than him is particularly amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

It's absolutely bat**** insane that this clown is this most powerful man on the planet and he will likely dodge conviction due to a complicit senate and then be re-elected.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

bad2dabone wrote: »
    It's absolutely bat**** insane that this clown is this most powerful man on the planet and he will likely dodge conviction due to a complicit senate and then be re-elected.

The first cause can be placed reasonably enough at Republicans.

If Trump gets re-elected, it'll be despite the Republicans, not because of them. I'm going to lay blame squarely at Democrats if it happens.

Though even if Trump loses, a lot of conservatives are happy with their long-term victory. From a month ago:

https://rewire.news/article/2019/11/08/democrats-federal-courts-lifetime/

Republicans hit a new milestone in their campaign to capture the federal courts for a lifetime. President Trump has now appointed over 150 judges to the bench, including one-quarter of all judges on federal courts of appeals.

Let that number really sink in: One in four seats on federal courts of appeals is now held by a Trump appointee.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/12/9/20962980/trump-supreme-court-federal-judges

At this point in the Obama presidency, Obama had appointed only 24 court of appeals judges, meaning that Trump is appointing appellate judges twice as fast as Obama. At a similar point in their presidencies, President George W. Bush had filled only 30 seats on the federal appellate bench; President Clinton, 27; President George H.W. Bush, 31; and President Reagan, 23.

It’s tempting to assume that Trump’s judicial appointees share the goonish incompetence of the man who placed them on the bench, but this assumption could not be more wrong. His picks include leading academics, Supreme Court litigators, and already prominent judges who now enjoy even more power within the judiciary.

[...]

In other words, based solely on objective legal credentials, the average Trump appointee has a far more impressive résumé than any past president’s nominees.

And they’re young, too. “The average age of circuit judges appointed by President Trump is less than 50 years old,” the Trump White House bragged in early November, “a full 10 years younger than the average age of President Obama’s circuit nominees.”

Trump’s nominees will serve for years or even decades after being appointed. Even if Democrats crush the 2020 elections and win majorities in both houses of Congress, these judges will have broad authority to sabotage the new president’s agenda.

There is simply no recent precedent for one president having such a transformative impact on the courts.

Arguably something else you can blame the Democrats for.
    https://www.vox.com/2014/6/10/5785938/life-after-the-nuclear-option-in-the-senate

The Democrats changed the rules to allow three appointees to the DC circuit court, rules which lasted for the one remaining year of Democrat majority. In three years of Trump, the inability to filibuster by Democrats has resulted in 150 Trump appointees.

https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/status/1207009450651004928?s=19

So, Firtash paid Parnas for his work in the Ukraine.

Parnas paid Rudy to assist in that work.

Rudy doesn't charge Trump.

Can it be reasonable to say therefore that a Russian Oligarch is funding Trump's research into his political opponent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

That letter is one hell of a read, a good collaborative effort obviously as some of the words just aren't in his vocabulary but to think, that will be in the record books now forever also :)

I'd say that there's mostly Trump himself in that letter, edited and tidied up a lot by Pam Bondi, who appears to be another head-the-ball and up to her eyes in swampy stuff! Only the best people....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement