Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

6.20 euro for a chicken fillet roll? The Boom is Bollixed

Comments

That’s correct but you could still make a hang sandwich at home.
    I leave home at 0650. It's true that I could make a lunch, but it's also true that I might not have time to eat a lunch.

I really wish people would stop comparing millennials (or whatever we are) to people who were at work in the 1990s. Things have changed completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I leave home at 0650. It's true that I could make a lunch, but it's also true that I might not have time to eat a lunch.

I really wish people would stop comparing millennials (or whatever we are) to people who were at work in the 1990s. Things have changed completely.

Depends what you do. Not every 'millenial' works in software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Cant beat quality.

The difference in quality between a €2 sandwich during a bust and a €6.50 during a boom is either nothing or the latter is worse. Assuming price matters to quality here is like assuming that the expensive houses built from 2001-2006 are the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Wasn’t there a Facebook page dedicated to chicken fillet rolls. People would whack up the prices and quality, heaven. Like pumps.ie was for petrol and diesal. We need a chicken fillet radar app that’s going to give us the information for the most important feed of the day. High in protein and fresh outta the glass box sitting there for at least 4 hours. Whopper munch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

And the same chicken was probably the sweepings off the meat factory floor.
    A roll of the dice whether you would end up with a dose of the wild sh1tes after it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You know the Tiger is back when there's gormless pillocks wandering around buying chickie filleh baggehs without checking the price first

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Am starving reading this thread.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I

How has it changed? Genuinely curious here? I assume you mean working in IT?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

for the same price you could buy a whole cooked chicken in most supermarkets

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭corkboy38

€4.70 for a chicken fillet roll near my gaff, bit of butter, coleslaw, and onion and you'd be elected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

corkboy38 wrote: »
    €4.70 for a chicken fillet roll near my gaff, bit of butter, coleslaw, and onion and you'd be elected.

Same down here in the wesht. The daughter's boyfriend paid €9 for two of them today.
    More money than sense if ye ask me!

Depends what you do. Not every 'millenial' works in software.
    Stheno wrote: »
    How has it changed? Genuinely curious here? I assume you mean working in IT?
    Not working in IT, I work in a bank. I have a brother who is 13 years older than me who worked in the same bank, and we often compare our working conditions and laugh (I cry).

Lunch breaks, holidays, pensions, you name it; all different. It's only fair to mention that I'm a 'contractor', although working like a regular employee on very ordinary wages (this didn't exist in his time, except for highly paid directors). Anyway this isn't about working conditions per se, this is about the price of a chicken fillet roll!
    You might have met a strict person at the deli counter who tried to charge you for a portion of coleslaw as well. There's one near me and I always go out of my way to avoid her when getting food at the deli counter.
    The thing that gets me is the price when I looked at the label on the roll.

The roll with chicken cost a fiver.

The coleslaw and cheese were only 60 cent each.

Sorry, but that price for a roll is gouging, and the people who charge it are on their way to putting themselves out of business.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

You'll be paying extra for the "Chlorine wash".....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Welcome to Ireland where we will fleece you at every opportunity and we do it with a smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Welcome to Ireland where we will fleece you at every opportunity and we do it with a smile.

Or perhaps it might change if a few more people to a leaf from the OPs book and returned the over priced item.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

You don't even get the smile anymore, unless they have wind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Since when, most places it's €3 or €3.50....

I've seen it at €4.50 but never over €5 never mind €6.20 that is absolutely crazy and then chicken fillets are actually coming in from China.... Yes China....

Sometimes Thailand.

Not working in IT, I work in a bank. I have a brother who is 13 years older than me who worked in the same bank, and we often compare our working conditions and laugh (I cry).

Lunch breaks, holidays, pensions, you name it; all different. It's only fair to mention that I'm a 'contractor', although working like a regular employee on very ordinary wages (this didn't exist in his time, except for highly paid directors). Anyway this isn't about working conditions per se, this is about the price of a chicken fillet roll!

What were once considered professional jobs worldwide are largely fcked.
    They will evolve to paying min wage eventually, as people will take less and less pay to work in a so called respectable job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

The rest of the world has the "Big Mac index", we have the chicken roll index, can't decide if it's better or much worse

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

€4 in my local Centra at work. Granted they do a massive volume of the things, beside an industrial estate and the only decent shop for around 3km in any direction.

Even that's too much. Profiteering is all it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

You will find that while it might look expensive (My missus works for a large chain of convenience stores), the shops are being robbed blind by corporations, Franchises, landlords and of course the Taxman. Not to mention pharmaceutical end users who drive up the price of the roll with robbery. Thanks Paul and Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭corkboy38

You used to be able to get a roll and a can of coke for 3 quid only two years ago near me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Kingp35 wrote: »
    You're missing out.

I never got the obsession in this country for chicken fillets rolls...

Just dry and utterly tasteless :confused:

Nobelium wrote: »
    What were once considered professional jobs worldwide are largely fcked.
    They will evolve to paying min wage eventually, as people will take less pay to work in a so called respectable job.
    Completely agree. A machine will be doing my job in the next 15-20 years.

I never questioned my career choice until I figured that out.

Ah! Bank Holiday Tuesday. Have a great one, folks :pac:

Completely agree.

Cripes, we agree on practically next to nothing, so that's a pretty worrying confirmation.

And fair play to you for not talking that price gouge like far too many do.

Have a nice evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Wow this thread is so funny you're all such madmen having chicken rolls and lucozade to fix your hangovers what a mad wild bunch of people on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Wow this thread is so funny you're all such madmen having chicken rolls and lucozade to fix your hangovers what a mad wild bunch of people on here.

If that's your definition of mad and wild I'd say you're some craic at parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Was it the Centra near Connolly Station? I'm struggling to think of the one you could mean if it's in the IFSC area, why not just say where it is...

Nobelium wrote: »
    Cripes, we agree on practically next to nothing, so that's a pretty worrying confirmation.

And fair play to you for not talking that price gouge like far too many do.

Have a nice evening.

You too! I think as consumers, regardless of politics, we all have a common interest in this. People are being gouged and there are no two ways about it.

The chicken fillet roll is just an ordinary example but it applies equally to everything from retail costs, to hotel prices for tourists.

We've been through an awful recession. And although that wasn't retailers' fault, we can limit the depth of the next recession by saying "Enough" now.

• Advertisement

Bateman wrote: »
    Was it the Centra near Connolly Station? I'm struggling to think of the one you could mean if it's in the IFSC area, why not just say where it is...
    Mea Culpa, it was a Spar (I use those terms interchangeably) and it was 5 minutes from Henry Street.

Am I allowed to name it?

Advertisement