Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Passport Control Backed Up.... AND!?

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I often wonder what the passport checks are like on ferries between Ireland/UK and vice versa.

Surely if it is not as strict as at airports (maybe it is but I don't think so), it is a model for druggies, illegals and so on.

What a double standard.

Almost nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Went threw the other week

Literally 15/30 secs to go threw.

Obv not enough staff for the bank hol return

Also can I just say I hate the mile walk before u ever even get to the immigration hall

To sum up

Dublin airport is a kip

A kip might be overstating it a bit but in terms of planning it’s a disaster. Everything has been reactionary as opposed to any joined up forward planning. New terminal, taxiway infrastructure etc updated with certain volumes in mind. The post recession notable travel boom wasn’t thought about, growth wasn’t thought about...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

My kip line was a bit of a throwaway comment. Don’t take it too seriously

I often wonder what the passport checks are like on ferries between Ireland/UK and vice versa.

Surely if it is not as strict as at airports (maybe it is but I don't think so), it is a model for druggies, illegals and so on.

What a double standard.

They usually ask for your ticket and nothing else, I’ve been asked for no I’d boarding ferry’s in the car but maybe it’s changed in more recent years.

The whole thing is a joke, there should be no showing a passport on arrival within Europe schengen or no schengen. It’s a needless waste of people’s time. The sooner our passport is in a chip implant or similar the better and you are just scanned as you walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭mazwell

Just seems crazy that within a "Common Travel Area" passengers travelling between the UK and Ireland are required to queue at Passport Control to have their passports checked . It's not even a legal requirement to carry a passport travelling from the UK .
    Surely there's a way to direct these passengers straight to the baggage hall ( where a random document check could be carried out as in the UK ) and simply clear customs and exit .

If you fly from donegal or Kerry to Dublin you also have to go through passport control

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

mazwell wrote: »
    If you fly from donegal or Kerry to Dublin you also have to go through passport control

All the more need for a separate channel for domestic and UK arrivals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

mazwell wrote: »

And pay a decent chunk of tax. I flew Dublin to Cork a few times with Ryanair. Madness that you need to carry passport ID for the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

This is not a big deal.. some cryers about. Try Copenhagen, Rome FL etc on any normal weekend.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublin-airport-passport-control-16371357
    I'll tell you what an outrage is.....using that ****e dublinlive for news.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

Went through T1 at 11.30 tonight and no issues. Straight through and with no time spent in queue or at baggage collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

No passport requirement on Aer Lingus travelling from the UK.
    The airline will even accept a bus pass .

For EU Citizens yes, but not everyone on that flight is exempted from the requirement to have a passport and present to an Immigration Officer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Berserker wrote: »
    Anyone know why Dublin stopped using police at the passport control? The police used to be much more efficient.

Police were much, much more expensive. Better utilised doing work that requires police powers. I don't recall them being more efficient either...

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/passport-anger-as-gardai-do-their-job-26513870.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

KaneToad wrote: »
    Police were much, much more expensive. Better utilised doing work that requires police powers. I don't recall them being more efficient either...

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/passport-anger-as-gardai-do-their-job-26513870.html
    At least the present INIS have uniforms, even if they are of the same sloppy type as the Gardai and Customs (why cant we have neat, sharp looking public servants?)
    The detectives who used to check passports looked like wineos - stained shirt and anorak, clearly hungover to sh1te, barely even looking at the passports. A scaldy first impression of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

CPTM wrote: »
    Nah, this is BS. I've been a frequent traveller for years now flying through Dublin every few weeks. I've never waited longer than 5-10 minutes (at worst).

It’s not BS, I’m a frequent traveler too, it’s the luck of the draw. Sometimes there are outrageous queues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    It’s not BS, I’m a frequent traveler too, it’s the luck of the draw. Sometimes there are outrageous queues.
    Indeed this is definitely the case. I've found huge queues there sometimes. Try arriving with your Irish passport card and it's even more fun. No automatic barriers for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

Allinall wrote: »
    Is there not passport checks in UK airports for Irish flights?

They don’t check every passenger but I’m fairly sure they’re there.

Suppose it’s up to each country to put in place their own checks. However, it’s a bit of a stretch to say there is free travel between Ireland and the Uk.

In effect, you need to be able to prove you’re entitled to free travel, which normally means producing a passport.

There is. Last time I had a stopover in Heathrow there was a separate desk for UK&IRE nationals but I was still expected to produce a passport. I'm sure I'd have been fine with any form of government ID but they definitely check.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Always found Dublin Airport pretty quick both going out and coming back.

The main problem is the lack of a second runway, they need that new one asap. Outgoing flight on Friday we were an hour queueing on the runway and coming back we had to wait in Gatwick an extra 45 mins because the queue to get back into Dublin was so long.

A third terminal wouldn't go astray either, terminal one is getting very claustrophobic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

They usually ask for your ticket and nothing else, I’ve been asked for no I’d boarding ferry’s in the car but maybe it’s changed in more recent years.

The whole thing is a joke, there should be no showing a passport on arrival within Europe schengen or no schengen. It’s a needless waste of people’s time. The sooner our passport is in a chip implant or similar the better and you are just scanned as you walk.

I fly back and forth a lot and London city you never are asked for id on arrival, gatwick, usually not asked. Heathrow has a seperate line where you show a boarding pass and stansted your straight out also...

Any can have random checks but only when you come back to lovely dublin do you have to queue in the silly queues for ppt control!

Advertisement