Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemara National Park Hikes - Advice Sought

• 30-07-2018 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

Howdee

I’m heading up to Clifden next week and fancy getting in a hike or two in the Connemara National Park while I’m up there.

I do most of my hiking in Wicklow and I’m not familiar with the hills in Galway so I’m looking for some pointers

I’m thinking of hitting Benbaun (weather dependent) and I was wondering if anyone here would be so kind as to let me know of a good route up (and back!)

Or please shout out if anyone has any suggestions for any other walks up that neck of the woods that they’d recommend.

Loop walks or out-and-back ones only as I’ll only have the one car

And here’s a picture of some wild Wicklow goats I took on Eagle’s Crag yesterday as a pre-emptive thanks!!!!457055.jpeg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭tphase

Loads of good loop walks in the Bens.
    For Benbaun I'd suggest the Glenn Carbad loop. Heading N in the Lough Inagh valley (between Recess and Kylemore), turn left at the Kylemore marker (stone sign). 100m or so past the little bridge you get parking. Up the ridge to Benbrack, onto Muckanaght, Benfree and Benbaun. When you drop off Benbaun, keep heading down towards the head of the valley rather than along the flat ridge. You'll hit a track/road that will will bring you back to your car. There's a nice pool for a dip too...

Other loops - Mweelin, Benchoona (did it yesterday), Glen Coaghan (6-7 hours), Glen Uisce
    There's also the Maamturks, Joyce country, the Sheefry Hills all within a fairly short drive

As for the national park itself, there's Diamond Hill - great views, worth doing but not exactly a challenging walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭fillup

Great info there.

Ill check them out and report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

tphase wrote: »
    Loads of good loop walks in the Bens.
    For Benbaun I'd suggest the Glenn Carbad loop. Heading N in the Lough Inagh valley (between Recess and Kylemore), turn left at the Kylemore marker (stone sign). 100m or so past the little bridge you get parking. Up the ridge to Benbrack, onto Muckanaght, Benfree and Benbaun. When you drop off Benbaun, keep heading down towards the head of the valley rather than along the flat ridge. You'll hit a track/road that will will bring you back to your car. There's a nice pool for a dip too...

Is there now a bridge to cross the river just past the forestry plantation? When I was up there last we had to walk across the river, it wasn't very high but I'm not sure I'd fancy it after much rain!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If you're up for a challenge look into the Glencoaghan Horseshoe. You'd want to have some experience and be prepared for a very long day but it's one of the finest walks in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭tphase

Is there now a bridge to cross the river just past the forestry plantation?
    no, the bridge I'm on about is just off the main road
    I usually cross the river at a ford (53.541436, -9.825146). If it's high I just plough across as quickly as I can - I don't mind if I get wet socks as it's not far to the car at that point

• Advertisement

Quick report back from my Benbaun excursion.

I had to wade across the river which wasn’t as easy as I had hoped. It was impossible to do so without getting the feet wet (I’d recommend brining a pair of wellies for this part as the water will be above the height of a waterproof hiking boot) – I tried to find a stretch of the river that I’d be able to cross using stepping stones but I couldn’t find anywhere. I did only look at the area from the missing bridge and into the valley so there may be a more suitable crossing point before you come to the bridge. Also, bearing in mind that it’s been an extremely dry summer there was a fair flow of water in the river – I wouldn’t fancy attempting to cross it during a wet season.

Because I crossed the river further up the valley than I had hoped I missed/forgot about heading up the gentler peaty slopes of Knockpasheemore Ridge before ascending Benbaun and instead went straight up Benbaun’s shaley, rocky slopes. This wasn’t a great idea as it was misty at this stage and the rock and shale made for slippery progess over the already challenging steep terrain

At one point when I was nearly clear of the slopes I had to back track by crawling backwards because I’d hit a rocky outcrop that I didn’t fancy climbing. I was going to call it quits at this stage but I reassessed when I got back down to less challenging ground and plotted a different approach.

Anyway – replotted and reinvigorated I eventually got there on the second attempt. The summit was covered in cloud when I got there but as I posed for the obligatory selfie at the (smashed) trig point the clouds miraculously parted and the views of the 12 Bens revealed themselves in all their magnificent glory.

I had a well-earned cuppa on top and the stony bivouac at the summit provided some welcomed shelter from the wind.

I descended via the slopes leading down from the saddle between Benbaun and Benfree and again forded the river the Benbaun side of the bridge.

All-in-all about 5 and a half hours of a slog, mostly due to my cocked up initial approach but a very rewarding day in the hills.

That vista of the majesty of Connemara laid out below me like mother nature’s magic carpet will stay with me for many a year

Thanks to all for the advice!

And here’s some pics of me on the summit!

459713.jpg

459714.jpg459715.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 6 maryennis

Hello!

Ive seen a lot of route details but can anyone give exact co-ords for parking? One guide I saw suggested Kylemore Park, but apparently they now no longer allow parking there if you're leaving the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If you're up for a challenge look into the Glencoaghan Horseshoe. You'd want to have some experience and be prepared for a very long day but it's one of the finest walks in the country.

I lived up there for a while and it is spectacular

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Mickeroo wrote: »

Thanks for sharing.

Looking to run the route bu tover 2 days,a weekend maybe.
    Checking this photo below,taken from H E R E.

Is there a location (or more) where i can set the tent and have a quiet night ?
    Can i leave a car parked at the base / beside the road safely,over 2 days ?

image2.jpg

Advertisement