Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cold Spell Late Feb/ Early March Technical Discussion only MOD NOTE POST #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

In regards to your comment earlier about a possible downgrade. How’s it looking since ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

davidsr20 wrote: »
    In regards to your comment earlier about a possible downgrade. How’s it looking since ?

12Zs rolling out over the next two hours. Nothing to worry about anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

davidsr20 wrote: »

No change. It's a possibility. No more than that. Favored outcome is still the severe end of the spectrum.

We'll know more shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

No change. It's a possibility. No more than that. Favored outcome is still the severe end of the spectrum.

We'll know more shortly.

Is this the ICON your talking about Kermit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by a sea fetch

And while we're at it what is a streamer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Just google "lake effect snow" and think of the Irish sea as your lake and you will get all your answers

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Sea fetch is the length of sea the air mass travels over, the longer it is the greater for lake effect snow when it comes to the Irish sea in our case.

A streamer is like a continuous line of showers generated from the same spot, caused by the lake effect snow scenario.

pad199207 wrote: »
    Is this the ICON your talking about Kermit?

ICON and NAVGEM.

Both picked up sudden more progressive retrogression of high pressure toward Greenland this morning. Still a cold outcome, no doubt about that, but not quite as severe and more marginal overall.

tempresult_crx5.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

ICON and NAVGEM.

Both picked up sudden more progressive retrogression of high pressure toward Greenland this morning. Still a cold outcome, no doubt about that, but not quite as severe and more marginal overall.

tempresult_crx5.gif

Now we don't really want to be hearing the word "marginal" here with a severely cold easterly. If we don't get snow out of this on the east coast next week, I will really give up!!!! However glad you are referring to NAVGEM and ICON models!!!

For a moment there I thought you were talking about the ECM, GFS and the UKMO! Phew!!!!!

D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Not that the ICON is worth all that much, but that still depicts a very snowy outcome. Some of the big 3 model runs had hinted at that also yesterday but since 00z they seem more on board with more prolonged cold and windy conditions over a week from now.

We have the GFS 12z coming out currently too :)

• Advertisement

Not that the ICON is worth all that much, but that still depicts a very snowy outcome. Some of the big 3 model runs had hinted at that also yesterday but since 00z they seem more on board with more prolonged cold and windy conditions over a week from now.

We have the GFS 12z coming out currently too :)

And in fact the 12z ICON is looking much better for cold too

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

RobertKK wrote: »
    Sea fetch is the length of sea the air mass travels over, the longer it is the greater for lake effect snow when it comes to the Irish sea in our case.

A streamer is like a continuous line of showers generated from the same spot, caused by the lake effect snow scenario.

With the lake effect in operation over the irish sea, is there any chance of more localised lake effect snow to the west of places like Lough Derg, Lough Corrib, Lough Ree etc or are they all much too small in Ireland for that kind of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Akrasia wrote: »
    With the lake effect in operation over the irish sea, is there any chance of more localised lake effect snow to the west of places like Lough Derg, Lough Corrib, Lough Ree etc or are they all much too small in Ireland for that kind of thing?

The're too small. I reckon we'll need a fetch of at least 50 km to get showers properly going.

-10 850 hPa air is reaching Ireland at 6am on Monday going by the latest run:

GFSOPEU12_66_2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

I think kermits little worry could be fixed on this run!

The trend from GFS 12z seems to be an upgrade, I can't really believe how quickly the air is being sent westwards from Russia though. Also heights a built up a little more north from Sunday onwards, and leaves us with a strong and slightly further away Scandi High by t+96.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

To close the topic on the air source of this airmass, its clearly an arctic continental hybrid. Arctic air cooling down over western siberia, then west of the urals before moving towards scandi while retaining a lot of its frigid characteristics. As it stands looks like the most potent easterly/north easterly in decades. Let's see what effects it will bring to the ground.

111 hrs GFS 12Z

GFSOPEU12_111_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

UKMO is fantastic. ICON again has a different development but still cold and snowy

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

pad199207 wrote: »
    I think kermits little worry could be fixed on this run!

Excellent!

First snow to Louth and Cork at 1pm on Monday!

72-574UK.GIF?23-12

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Ridiculous at 144 hrs. Going to take a good 10 hour break from model watching I think

GFSOPEU12_144_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

-15c 850's in even faster on this GFS run, ICON is a marginal improvement and is still very cold but also very different to the other models.

12_120_ukthickness850.png?cb=13

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

12z is perfect. Cold air entrenched over Ireland by Monday. Showers possible from Monday night, increasing into tuesday and wednesday with some nice kinks in the flow, leading to good instability. Thundersnow anyone? :pac:

Quite severe runs from the UKMO and GFS. Plenty of snow particularly in the eastern half of the country, really piling up there. Lake effect, relentless.

If the ECM is equally severe this evening I'll draw up the forecast for the other thread. Proviso is the 12z ICON model is consistent so there is some uncertainty there.

gfs-0-126.png?12

gfs-1-126.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

Quite severe runs from the UKMO and GFS. Plenty of snow particularly in the eastern half of the country, really piling up there. Lake effect, relentless.

If the ECM is equally severe this evening I'll draw up the forecast for the other thread. Proviso is the 12z ICON model is consistent so there is some uncertainty there.

gfs-0-126.png?12

gfs-1-126.png?12

Agree with cautious approach but honest question: when have we ever cared about what the ICON is showing? I don't recall it getting so much consideration before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭pauldry

That second chart is the most wonderful thing I have seen on boards.

Theres purples near us

Its a day after tomorrow scenario except...

Its the day after the day after the day after the day after tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Why are people getting hung up on the ICON. Kermit the frog is just suffering late stage nerves.:P The Icon is cannon fodder compared to the big three- which all show snow heaven for a few days. As someone said we may not see charts like these again for a long, long, time. For those who drink, if the ECM show what we want this evening(which i think it will), then it's time to open the champagne.

ARPEGE is on board too-

arpegeeur-0-114.png?12

503 DAM, wow that is some depth of cold.

12_138_ukthickness.png?cb=44

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    503 DAM, wow that is some depth of cold.

12_138_ukthickness.png?cb=44

My God to think we were marvelling at the depth of cold over Canada a few weeks ago, we are not that far off it ourselves. it's really incredible stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement