Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I bet you didnt know that

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

enfield wrote: »
    The 'pincers' on a earwigs bum is for folding his wings.

Speaking of pincers., you can tell the sex of an earwig by them. Males have the rounded ones, females have the straight ones. Also only female flies buzz .. The males are silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Evade wrote: »
    Quazzie wrote: »
    Kilometer
    The base unit of distance is metre.
    Wouldn't the base unit of weight then be the gram?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Evade

Wouldn't the base unit of weight then be the gram?
    You'd think that since it has a prefix, but no.

The base units are:
    Metre (m)
    Ampere (A)
    Second (s)
    Kelvin (K)
    Mole (mol)
    Candela (cd)
    Kilogram (kg)

If you want to define 1 of any of the other units you use formulae that involve multiplying and dividing 1 of the above units.

Eg a force of 1 Newton (N) = 1 kg x 1m /1s^2

So using the gram as the base would mess up those calculations.

It would have fit the naming scheme better if what we call a kilogram was called a gram.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The length of a metre was also defined as 1 ten millionth of the distance between the north pole and the equator in 1793.
    It was later refined as the distance travelled by light in a vacuum in 1/299,792,458th of a second, which is what its standard is today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Just watched an interview with Sean Astin and discovered that he's the adopted son of John Astin, who played Gomez in the Addams family TV series. His mother Patty Duke claimed that entertainer Desi Arnaz Jr (son of Lucille Ball) was his real dad, but in the 90's he undertook a blood test that proved that Michael Tell, a music promoter, was his biological father. He only undertook the blood test after meeting a relative of Michael, who claimed they were related

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

From todays curiosity app.

The number zero was "invented" in ancient India. Obviously the concept of nothing has been known since forever but the mathematical concept of zero zero was really only defined sometime around the 3rd or 4th century. It spread from India to the Muslim world where the familiar 0 symbol was known as sifr.
    When it in turn made it's way from the Muslim world to Europe with the coming of the Moors, sifr became anglicised to cypher. The church however were horrified by the whole thing and seeing it as the work of the devil it was promptly outlawed, but due to it's fairly undeniable usefulness, merchants etc. continued to use it but had to do so in disguised form and hence the word cypher became synonymous with code.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

Although now being used as an irreligious term, X-mas originally just started out as an abbreviation for a religious term as Χ (Chi) is the first letter of Christ in Greek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Although now being used as an irreligious term, X-mas originally just started out as an abbreviation for a religious term as Χ (Chi) is the first letter of Christ in Greek.

Yes, the Greek for Christ is Χριστός. The X, or Chi, the 22nd letter of the Greek alphabet.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭pawdee

Squirrels can't fart.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

And the Chi Ro(XR, though it looks like a P in Greek) symbol/letters were a very early Christian theme*. As was the fish that you sometimes see on the backs of Christian cars. Again from the Greek Ichthys(sp? spellcheck keeps giving me itches :D). I being the first letter of Jesus in Greek, Iesus? - *Aside*, in Islam Jesus is Isa, which shows they were influenced by the Greek, rather than the Jewish sources which would have been his actual name Yeshua**. - The Ichthys continues in that vein, so Jesus(i) Christ( c) and the rest IIRC is Son of God, or the Saviour, can't quite recall which TBH. :o

*Speaking of the Chi Ro, likely one of it's most elaborate representations is to be found in Trinity College Dublin in the Book of Kells.
    d2ddb600-5612-49ab-a297-145a1147de21.jpg
    When it came to intricacy and ornament those guys weren't screwing around. On that note the Book of Kells appears to have been made by six or seven hands. It was a book to be venerated and displayed rather than read from as words(in Irish vulgate Latin) are left out of the original and there are repetitions. A goodly chunk of it is missing sadly. The cover would have been incredibly ornate made from precious metal and semi precious stones. Lost when it was reported stolen by Vikings, only to be later found abandoned in a bog IIRC minus the covers. Some of the pigments came from far away. The ultramarine blue for example would have come all the way from present day Afghanistan. A few years back another Early Irish Christian booklet was found that had sheets of papyrus(from where we get the word paper, though a very different material) which originated in the Middle East, so even that far back trade brought all sorts of things across big distances.

** a few times in the Christian New Testament he's compared to and considered to be the returning prophet Joshua, because of how close the names were.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

pawdee wrote: »
    Squirrels can't fart.

Please tell me this isn't just hot air and back up the statement with links ?

I know I'm goin to regret this, and oddly enough never forget it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Adventure1

Susie Dent is 52

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

From todays curiosity app.

The number zero was "invented" in ancient India. Obviously the concept of nothing has been known since forever but the mathematical concept of zero zero was really only defined sometime around the 3rd or 4th century. It spread from India to the Muslim world where the familiar 0 symbol was known as sifr.
    When it in turn made it's way from the Muslim world to Europe with the coming of the Moors, sifr became anglicised to cypher. The church however were horrified by the whole thing and seeing it as the work of the devil it was promptly outlawed, but due to it's fairly undeniable usefulness, merchants etc. continued to use it but had to do so in disguised form and hence the word cypher became synonymous with code.

Merchants and presumably educated mathematicians who would often be clerics. I doubted the Church banned the zero story immediately and could find no evidence of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

deise08 wrote: »
    Speaking of pincers., you can tell the sex of an earwig by them. Males have the rounded ones, females have the straight ones. Also only female flies buzz .. The males are silent.

Female of the species makes the most noise?

Well colour me surprised!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Danny Glover's daughter in Lethal Weapon, when he was "too old for this shít", is now older than he was in that film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Merchants and presumably educated mathematicians who would often be clerics. I doubted the Church banned the zero story immediately and could find no evidence of it.

I thought it strange it was invented so late, how did the Greeks make as much progress in mathematics without representing 0 or its equivalent at some point?
    Fascinated to know if it is in fact true.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

razorblunt wrote: »
    Danny Glover's daughter in Lethal Weapon, when he was "too old for this sh, is now older than he was in that film.

Glover, born 1946, film released 1987 was only 41 when he was "too old for this sh!t!! FML!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

quickbeam wrote: »
    Glover, born 1946, film released 1987 was only 41 when he was "too old for this sh!t!! FML!!

Meaning that when he was "five days from retirement" in Lethal Weapon 3 in 1992, he was still a sprightly 46 years of age. Being a cop in LA is cushy number.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

VW 1 wrote: »
    I thought it strange it was invented so late, how did the Greeks make as much progress in mathematics without representing 0 or its equivalent at some point?
    Fascinated to know if it is in fact true.

A lot of their progress was in geometry but they didn't advance much in algebra- the Arabs did that. Perhaps the lack of a zero really held them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I don't know to be honest, I just parroted the app. It says it was banned in Florence, in the time of the crusades???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

A lot of their progress was in geometry but they didn't advance much in algebra- the Arabs did that. Perhaps the lack of a zero really held them back.

The greeks really were the founders of Algebra - geometric algebra is algebra, the Arabs added something to it, over time but they invaded part of the world that had algebra of course.

The dispute rages on in Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algebra

The expression "If looks could kill..." was coined by Bram Stoker.

"If ever a look meant death - if looks could kill - we saw it at that moment"

- Dracula, Chapter 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

quickbeam wrote: »

He was 41 in Lethal Weapon 1, but she is now 56.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Northern Ireland are the smallest nation ever to reach a football World Cup Quarter Final.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

At the 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, the Great War ended.

11,000 people were killed or wounded on that day. More than during the invasion of France on D-Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Probably one few people know, but the Big Bang Theory does not describe the origins of the universe, i.e. it doesn't state that the universe began in the big bang. It just says that 13.7 billion years ago the universe was roughly pea-sized and too hot for most particles to exist and that this pea rapidly expanded.

What the universe was like before this expansion, or how old it really is, is not described by the theory.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

^^^^

“There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.”

- Douglas Adams

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

^^^

(Sorry, but I had to do it, you forced my hand, Capt'n).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Fourier wrote: »
    Probably one few people know, but the Big Bang Theory does not describe the origins of the universe, i.e. it doesn't state that the universe began in the big bang. It just says that 13.7 billion years ago the universe was roughly pea-sized and too hot for most particles to exist and that this pea rapidly expanded.

What the universe was like before this expansion, or how old it really is, is not described by the theory.

There's also a theory that the universe, as we know it, is just one iteration of it as it will eventually expand fully then collapse back to the singularity , explode and expand again the way it has done several time already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

Fourier wrote: »

The Big Bang theory says the universe began as a singularity which by definition has a size of 0.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement