Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

• 22-08-2015 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭tomfoolery60

I have started using a service called Revolut which offers a prepaid mastercard and allows you to convert money to USD/GBP at market rates with zero commission https://revolut.com/

Have used to purchase some stuff online in GBP and requested the physical card (to allow ATM withdrawals when outside the Eurozone) and it works very well so far.

As I understand it, it is free for the first 12 months and then they might charge a fee. There is a code from MoneySavingExpert "MSE" that will give you a £5 bonus if you sign up and deposit a tenner or something like that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

Any fees

I have started using a service called Revolut which offers a prepaid mastercard and allows you to convert money to USD/GBP at market rates with zero commission https://revolut.com/

Have used to purchase some stuff online in GBP and requested the physical card (to allow ATM withdrawals when outside the Eurozone) and it works very well so far.

As I understand it, it is free for the first 12 months and then they might charge a fee. There is a code from MoneySavingExpert "MSE" that will give you a £5 bonus if you sign up and deposit a tenner or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭tomfoolery60

GY A1 wrote: »
    Any fees

Not for the first 12mths they say

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Looks very good but I'm curious as to how a "no fee" company like themselves makes money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Niemoj wrote: »
    Looks very good but I'm curious as to how a "no fee" company like themselves makes money.
    We earn a nominal fee paid to us by merchants every time you use Revolut Card.
    We reserve the right to review our pricing structure after the first 12 months of your use of the Revolut service. We do not anticipate any significant changes. Revolut was launched to offer a fair and transparent service. It has been designed to offer the best value and the best user experience. There are no hidden fees to our users.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Well that was the quickest 5 pounds ever earned! Wonder if I can make off currency fluctuations too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Can you top up in euro or will you end up paying fees on the Irish end converting to GBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

Can you top up in euro or will you end up paying fees on the Irish end converting to GBP.

I topped up in €, got the £5 that way, converted that £5 back to € and it was added to my € balance. All in the space of about a minute. Saved me a bit of money on something I was planning to buy online anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Easiest £5 ever.

I'm heading to the States in 2 weeks time, and as far as I can see, this is the best way to go about getting my cash in $.

I owe you a pint OP!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

You have to enter it in while you set it up, though I've seen people mention they messaged the Revolut customer service about it and had the £5 applied later. Could try that and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Anyone know can this be used for gaming/gambling? Have emailed but thought I'd ask anyways to see if anyones tried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Tried to register and got a message "device already registered". Never heard of them before today. I have had the same number for a good few years. I put +353 and left the 0 off my mobile number. Am I doing something wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Tried to register and got a message "device already registered". Never heard of them before today. I have had the same number for a good few years. I put +353 and left the 0 off my mobile number. Am I doing something wrong?
    Getting the same message here when trying to register using the iOS App

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Lumi wrote: »
    Getting the same message here when trying to register using the iOS App

I'm on android. I sent them a message on Facebook. I will post if I hear anything back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

can we top this card with our credit card online?
    or is there any other prepaid cards that can be topped up using a credit card? (without being charged by credit card bank as cash advance?)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Can this be used with PayPal?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭KaseLieberKase

or is there any other prepaid cards that can be topped up using a credit card? (without being charged by credit card bank as cash advance?)

I think its debit card only

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I topped up with my credit card using the app. it shows up in the app immediatley. it would be a good way to withdraw cash without fee's

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Toxica

Racket wrote: »
    I topped up in €, got the £5 that way, converted that £5 back to € and it was added to my € balance. All in the space of about a minute. Saved me a bit of money on something I was planning to buy online anyway.

Did you top up by €10 to get the £5 or the euro equivalent of £10?

Toxica wrote: »
    Did you top up by €10 to get the £5 or the euro equivalent of £10?

I topped up with the equivalent, thought I would then have to transfer it over to £ in the app to get the £5, so don't know if just €10 would suffice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

crazyderk wrote: »
    I topped up with my credit card using the app. it shows up in the app immediatley. it would be a good way to withdraw cash without fee's

Withdraw cash ? How ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

bmm wrote: »
    Withdraw cash ? How ?
    get their ATM card.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭tomfoolery60

crazyderk wrote: »

I'd be careful topping up with a CC, I imagine it is like an online bookmaker and you might get whacked with a cash advance fee. Did you check with customer service?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

at the very least a quick way to make €6.89 . Thanks OP

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

I opened the App again a few minutes ago and my account was registered - I had gotten the same error message as you earlier but the registration must have gone through ok after all. I topped up and got my £5 bonus so happy days!
    Thanks OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I'd be careful topping up with a CC, I imagine it is like an online bookmaker and you might get whacked with a cash advance fee. Did you check with customer service?

No but I'll report back when it shows up in my online banking

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I topped up €10 and got £5 logged our checked again fivers gone and app keeps crashing.
    I tried to verify my drivers licence and app was having none of it
    I hope it's not a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Anyone have any joy topping up with a card on a rooted Android phone? When I try the app just freezes. Contacted support, and they said "Our app is not optimised for rooted phones" which doesn't really help as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

nephster wrote: »
    Anyone have any joy topping up with a card on a rooted Android phone? When I try the app just freezes. Contacted support, and they said "Our app is not optimised for rooted phones" which doesn't really help as such.

No problems here. It does take about 30 seconds to load 3D secure (or the Visa equivalent) for verification. It might take longer to load depending on your connection.

Otherwise works smoothly here (using an LG G3 on the 3 network).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Xzen wrote: »
    No problems here. It does take about 30 seconds to load 3D secure (or the Visa equivalent) for verification. It might take longer to load depending on your connection.

Otherwise works smoothly here (using an LG G3 on the 3 network).

Thanks for that. Absolutely no joy for me after trying different cards, wi-fi/mobile data, and clearing the app's cache. Ho hum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement