Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A3 2019

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dahat

CRNS CLassic

This was a race i had targeted for some weeks due to the final, nice uphill dig that suits power riders.

The race was listed as A2/A3 which had changed from previous years and as expected a huge crowd turned up on a good day. The rumored count was 115-125 riders which worried most as its a fast course but narrow in places and within 5km the worst happened, a rider collided with a parked car taking out himself & 15 plus riders. The sound of the pile up was horrific and i was glad to somehow get through unscathed. As there was only one ambulance the inevitable happened, race abandoned after a short neutralized roll back to the start. It was unclear how badly injured riders were at this point but gladly word came back that although some nasty knocks all were relatively okay.

Two points from the race

1)The comms should have handicapped the race which would have shed a few from each grade.
    2) Riders really need to start observing rules of the road as much as possible with particular care taken on the white line rule. Thats twice this year an incident like this has resulted in race abandonment & the awful tragedy in Wexford. A small group of riders caused this incident which could have avoided by due care & attention.

All roads to Charleville

Racing has been sparse for me recently so block after block with Charleville & M40 Nationals in mind. There was period in which i thought my legs were gone for the year after a failed ftp & a couple of disaster VO2 sessions. All credit to my coach though he picked me up with some plan adjustments to freshen me up. A little break in Killarney helped and a nice 4hr spin around some quiet roads really cleared the mind for the period ahead.
    I will be guesting on a team for the event and hope i can help the tram get a decent result over the weekend. My own personal aims are to finish the event with stage 1 my best chance of a result. The time trial i'll do on my road bike cos i aint got no TT bike!!! I'll likely just try hit 500 plus watts for the duration and see if that will help me avoid the lantern rouge!!

Season high watts

After a failed ftp my most recent one was done last week. I've done 2 of the last 3 outdoors so did this outdoors again. I was pretty confident of a decent test and when i felt good 10mins in i knew today was the day to get the magic 400 watt avg. The next 10mins were tough and the last 3 horrific but got there albeit in a proper heap for 400 watt avg.
    This gave me lifetime best figures for 10 & 20 min power with the 5 min clearing effort giving an all time high, happy days!!

Starting Stats:
    Weight: 99.2kgs
    FTP: 330

Current Stats:
    Weight: 94kgs
    FTP:388

The National M40 is where i'll finish the season, far beyond my current level but i'll follow wheels and see if i can survive the race for a top 20 finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Seadin

dahat wrote: »
    CRNS CLassic

This was a race i had targeted for some weeks due to the final, nice uphill dig that suits power riders.

The race was listed as A2/A3 which had changed from previous years and as expected a huge crowd turned up on a good day. The rumored count was 115-125 riders which worried most as its a fast course but narrow in places and within 5km the worst happened, a rider collided with a parked car taking out himself & 15 plus riders. The sound of the pile up was horrific and i was glad to somehow get through unscathed. As there was only one ambulance the inevitable happened, race abandoned after a short neutralized roll back to the start. It was unclear how badly injured riders were at this point but gladly word came back that although some nasty knocks all were relatively okay.

Two points from the race

1)The comms should have handicapped the race which would have shed a few from each grade.
    2) Riders really need to start observing rules of the road as much as possible with particular care taken on the white line rule. Thats twice this year an incident like this has resulted in race abandonment & the awful tragedy in Wexford. A small group of riders caused this incident which could have avoided by due care & attention.

All roads to Charleville

Racing has been sparse for me recently so block after block with Charleville & M40 Nationals in mind. There was period in which i thought my legs were gone for the year after a failed ftp & a couple of disaster VO2 sessions. All credit to my coach though he picked me up with some plan adjustments to freshen me up. A little break in Killarney helped and a nice 4hr spin around some quiet roads really cleared the mind for the period ahead.
    I will be guesting on a team for the event and hope i can help the tram get a decent result over the weekend. My own personal aims are to finish the event with stage 1 my best chance of a result. The time trial i'll do on my road bike cos i aint got no TT bike!!! I'll likely just try hit 500 plus watts for the duration and see if that will help me avoid the lantern rouge!!

Season high watts

After a failed ftp my most recent one was done last week. I've done 2 of the last 3 outdoors so did this outdoors again. I was pretty confident of a decent test and when i felt good 10mins in i knew today was the day to get the magic 400 watt avg. The next 10mins were tough and the last 3 horrific but got there albeit in a proper heap for 400 watt avg.
    This gave me lifetime best figures for 10 & 20 min power with the 5 min clearing effort giving an all time high, happy days!!

Starting Stats:
    Weight: 99.2kgs
    FTP: 330

Current Stats:
    Weight: 94kgs
    FTP:388

The National M40 is where i'll finish the season, far beyond my current level but i'll follow wheels and see if i can survive the race for a top 20 finish.

Its great to see you are increasing your ftp since start of season. Well done. You have more than enough power there to win an A3 race. You be able to hold your own in an A1/A2 race with that ftp never mind an A3 race.

IMO you might be better off trying to improve your race craft and tactics from now on and making sure you get on the right breaks in a race when they do go. Sometimes you can have all the power in the world but if not clued into the race, or not race smart, you won't win. The most powerful rider doesnt always win the race its the rider whos smart and crosses the line first is the winner. Sharpen up with race tactics and you will do even better i have no doubt. You have the commitment and that's great to see.

Best of luck.

Seadin wrote: »
    Its great to see you are increasing your ftp since start of season. Well done. You have more than enough power there to win an A3 race. You be able to hold your own in an A1/A2 race with that ftp never mind an A3 race.

IMO you might be better off trying to improve your race craft and tactics from now on and making sure you get on the right breaks in a race when they do go. Sometimes you can have all the power in the world but if not clued into the race, or not race smart, you won't win. The most powerful rider doesnt always win the race its the rider whos smart and crosses the line first is the winner. Sharpen up with race tactics and you will do even better i have no doubt. You have the commitment and that's great to see.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the kind words.

I have a few areas for improvement to target alright. This was my first year being at the pointy end of A3 so hoping to upgrade next year all going well.

The C2D will test my race craft this weekend with 159 of us in the A2/A3 race. Being honest it's a i'm a little nervous but hoping that about 100 get shelled at some point over the forst 70km of stage 1!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Seadin

dahat wrote: »
    Thanks for the kind words.

I have a few areas for improvement to target alright. This was my first year being at the pointy end of A3 so hoping to upgrade next year all going well.

The C2D will test my race craft this weekend with 159 of us in the A2/A3 race. Being honest it's a i'm a little nervous but hoping that about 100 get shelled at some point over the forst 70km of stage 1!!!

Day 1 is flat stage. Day 2 has the TT which is short about 6km. The 2nd stage there is a climb near ballyhoara be up near the front for that as thats where the breaks will go. It will split there so be up near the top 10 in the bunch and hang on.

Seadin wrote: »
    Day 1 is flat stage. Day 2 has the TT which is short about 6km. The 2nd stage there is a climb near ballyhoara be up near the front for that as thats where the breaks will go. It will split there so be up near the top 10 in the bunch and hang on.

TT is non event as I'll be on the road bike.
    Stage 2 should be fun as I quite like climbing but physique stops me doing well.
    Stage 1 I hope to do well in but I must remember that this is a field of strong A2 riders as well.

It's my first stage event so it's a learning curve really.

• Advertisement

Charleville 2 Day

Stage 1

Sheer numbers had me a little anxious here with 159 registered beforehand as its a flatish stage on narrow roads. Straight from the get go the pace was high and i was little anxious as i'd never raced in these numbers with no recent race my legs were hanging off pretty early on. I ended up too far back because of this but was nevewr in danger of being dropped so after the first lap or so i started to feel a little more comfortable but unable to make my way forward to be near the pointy end. Eventually on the third lap i got near the pointy end but there was a break up the road and the work wa sleft to Lucan to pull this back for John Priest. At 5km to go i had a real nic spot but a brief hesitation meant it was gone just as quick so just rolled in with the main bunch feeling happy & fresh after the body eventually woke up.The break hung on and our group came in 36 secs down on GC.

Headed home for a nights sleep feeling good with the TT & hill stage to come.

Stage 2

The TT is a flat 6.3 km which if i had bothered to organise a TT bike i would have cracked a decent time in hindsight. The road bike had no clip on bars so it was just brute power to get the best possible time.

6.3km @ 40.7 avg & 398 avg watts or 4.2 ish watts/kg gave me a time of 9.01. The team i was guesting on reckoned i'd have taken another 20-30 secs off that with a TT bike. That will be something to work on for next year as a sub 8.30 is well within reach for me i reckon.
    9.01 was 58/125 which wasn't so bad though i suspect at least 30 lads just rode down the raod to preserve effort for the later stage.

Stage 3

This stage i was warned off and honestly i was pretty nervy beforehand as i'm no climber though i can survive well once not at the front. I was determined not to be so far back early doors here so made every effort to be further up even though it was as normal full gas from the get go. In a blink of an eye we were 40km in with the legs feeling okay. Soon we met the turn for Ballyhoura for the main climb which felt okay early on but it soon split so my effort was being managed to get to the top. I settled in a good group that crested together then on the descent i was dropped as i'd never been down there. I had been advised that if i was dropped a good TT effort should get me back on after it. I made up that distance to my group, settled in then the group set about getting back to the main bunch. The junction was made after the final big TT effort for 1km by myself so settled in once again waiting for the second lap.

At the start of the second time up i was told everyone was still together but i had my doubts. The group slowly spilt on the climb again but this time my effort was all about survival. About halfway up i started to feel some faint hints of cramp which wasn't ideal so dropped to the small ring to try ease them out before it got worse. In what seemed like an age we got to the top in a small group but as expected the bunch was well gone so now it was just a full gas chase to the line. The cramps were like a dull headache but as we went on the chase the y got worse so had to mange efforts and miss turns to survive, our group had a few strong A2 there so it was a soft pace. We rode strong in between cars & traffic, taking risks at times but we were determined to finsh well. The group seemed to have a sprint so i pulled out to open up but my right leg near locked up with cramp and so my race was done.

The aftermath of the cramp was horrific, it hurt badly for ages with legs muscles almost seizing up, body shakes the whole lot!! I was empty of fluid and fuel it seems. As the racing had been full gas i had neglected to drink my bottles so this was my punishment. Eventually after some coke, jelly babies,a litre of electrolytes they subsided. Lessons learned for the Nationals next week so need to organise a bottle carrier at the feed zone somehow.

The end classification for me was 43rd down 2m 57 on GC, i'd have been chuffed with this beforehand, overall a very good weekend.

Stuff i learned at C2D 2019:

Kanturk have riders over the age of 18.
    I can TT pretty good so need to get a basic TT set up.
    My climbing is decent especially when using a 28 block.
    It's nice to be nice when riders are suffering around you but talking to them isn't apparently.
    Consume more fluids to avoid cramps.
    Tea & sandwiches for riders are frowned upon by race organisers.
    Chasing on between cars is exciting & scary as **** especially downhill.
    I also need a prep race beforehand next year.

Thanks to Cram Cycle for the push on here to enter the event & to the team mates over the weekend, made feel welcome as a guest in their team.

Roll on C2D 2020!!!!

Old & sore

After last weekends racing i am pretty damn sore & stiff to the point i was considering if racing Nationals was the right idea. The cramps caused some issues that need nursing through foam rolling & stretching.The workouts sechduled for this week have been modified to reflect my state so it's an easy run to Sunday to allow the body recover from Charleville.

Nationals looks a daunting race for an M40 A3 but i'll go there with the aim to stick on wheels to last as long as possible with the bunch. I won't nake the same fuel & hydration mistakes as last week though i've no one to get a bottle off from a car or at the feed zone. My goal is a top 20 finish but bunch finish would be a satisfactory given my improvement from 2018 to 2019.

M40 Nationals

This event was never my plan but after encouragement from my coach i decided to undertake this huge event. I was extremely nervous beforehand as the filed was pretty heavy with A1 & A2 riders of a far higher level than me. The mind knew there was a long day ahead in the saddle.

The first 35km were hell, too far back due to the pace which meant i was close to being shelled on each drag. Effort was high to maintain contact with the bunch though 20 or so riders weren't so lucky,average speed to this stage as near 43km/hr. The thoughts of a 4hr round trip for 35km drove me to hang on for dear life.
    Laps 3-4 were slightly easier but still max effort until i moved a little further up once my legs came round, confidence that i could last the full distance was increasing now, a lowly A3 hanging on with strong A1 & A2 riders over a challenging stuff, mad craic.

Last lap was mental, break caught, legs good, lets try for a medal here sham....pace high, lads mad for a galllop,jumping all over the road, unreal stuff. I had a geat postion 4 km out but a crash distracted me so lost it so had to fly up the last hill to try get a decent finishing position, just outside the top 20 which i felt was a savage result for me.

135km @ 41.4 avg & 1360m of up.

And that's a wrap here for A3 2019, a highly successful year even without a race win. Most of my goals and objectives achieved so I'll have to set new ones for for next season.

Time now to rest & recharge for 2 weeks with the aim of A2 2020 as the primary objective.

Advertisement