Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We'll build your PC for you

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I think most of us are just happy to help

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think most of us are just happy to help

Just curious. A former housemate offered to help me build a PC a few years ago when I was living in Manchester.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭LeeMaher92

Is this post still relevant..? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

LeeMaher92 wrote: »
    Is this post still relevant..? Lol

It is aslong as people who are willing to help like myself still hang around

I’m a first time gaming pc builder and would love to be able to have someone put the pc together and set it up with me so I can learn first hand rather than trying to build the entire pc solo first time!

• Advertisement

Well I would be happy to help you out if your anywhere near my area (southeast wicklow) if not hopefully one of the other lads will come back to this thread and help you out with that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Always wondered if I could get someones help turning my current Air cooled build into a watercooled build. Upgrading the GFX along the way.

Im based in Dublin so it’s about an hour drive for me to get to Arklow! Roughly how long would it take to build the pc? I’ll be needing the girlfriend to be my chauffeur so I’d need to find something to occupy her in the car for the time I’m down there haha!

Im based in Dublin so it’s about an hour drive for me to get to Arklow! Roughly how long would it take to build the pc? I’ll be needing the girlfriend to be my chauffeur so I’d need to find something to occupy her in the car for the time I’m down there haha!

It depends on the build itself, the assmebly part is fairly quick and can be done in an hour or 2 but it's the windows installation that can take up a lot of time, espiecally if updates are running slow that particular day

Always wondered if I could get someones help turning my current Air cooled build into a watercooled build. Upgrading the GFX along the way.

Would love to help but with so much that can go wrong I tend to stay away from helping people with building a water cooled loop and only really do it for close friends.

Hopefully there is someone else here who is far more confident to help you with that.

• Advertisement

Well im hoping to have all the parts and be ready to assemble the pc on Saturday 25th of May, if that seems like a date that suits you?!

Yeah that's grand, do you need help picking out parts or do you have a good idea on what you're getting?

Yeah that's grand, do you need help picking out parts or do you have a good idea on what you're getting?

I’ve bought most parts for inside the pc already, here’s some of the specs (if you need any other info let me know)
    Mobo: Asus b450 prime plus
    Gpu: Rx580
    Ram: Ballistix Sport LT (8gb x2)
    Cpu: Amd Ryzen 2600x
    Wifi card: ASUS PCE AC88
    Power supply: EVGA 600 B1 Bronze
    Monitor: Dell 27” with Freesync, 155hz, 1ms response time, QHD 2560x1440

I’ve been told the hardware I’ve gotten won’t be able to make full use of the 2k monitor until I make some upgrades, would you suggest I stick with the 2k monitor and upgrade other parts over time or maybe just start off with a 1080p monitor?

Looks like a decent build to me, altho personally I would downgrande the monitor to either a 1080p 24" refreshrate monitor (with freesync) or a 27" 2560x1440 60ghz monitor and bump the gpu up to a rx 590, a high refreshrate 1440p usually requires a quite beefy gpu like a gtx 1080 or a rtx 2070 to get the full benefit out of it in most games. But if you rather invest in a highend monitor right from the go and just play you games at 1080p with high refresh or 1440p at 60hz then go for it.
    My only other suggestion (just nitpicking here) would be to try and find a way to use a gigabit wired connection rather than rely on a fairly expensive wifi card, this will not only save you money but give you a better connection with lower ping, but if it's impossible to get your pc wired up to the network then that's fine.
    What parts do you already have?

Looks like a decent build to me, altho personally I would downgrande the monitor to either a 1080p 24" refreshrate monitor (with freesync) or a 27" 2560x1440 60ghz monitor and bump the gpu up to a rx 590, a high refreshrate 1440p usually requires a quite beefy gpu like a gtx 1080 or a rtx 2070 to get the full benefit out of it in most games. But if you rather invest in a highend monitor right from the go and just play you games at 1080p with high refresh or 1440p at 60hz then go for it.
    My only other suggestion (just nitpicking here) would be to try and find a way to use a gigabit wired connection rather than rely on a fairly expensive wifi card, this will not only save you money but give you a better connection with lower ping, but if it's impossible to get your pc wired up to the network then that's fine.
    What parts do you already have?

I’ve bought all components for the inside of the pc except the processor and ram so at this point I’ll probably stick with my original plan and get the high end monitor off the bat and then eventually upgrade the other parts to get the most out of the monitor in the long term! Unfortunately the pc us gonna be set up in my room and the only place the modem can be connected is the living room so it would require me drilling holes in the walls and running the cables half way around the house so the wifi card is an unfortunate necessity for the time being!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I use wifi and it is fine. Never have any issues for years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I use wifi and it is fine. Never have any issues for years now.

Depends on the wifi and local interference.

beauf wrote: »
    Depends on the wifi and local interference.

I’ve got the Vodafone Gigabox which gets speeds of up to 1gb (apparently) and I’m planning on getting the ASUS PCE AC88 wifi card as I’ve heard its an excellent choice, any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Downnload a WiFI analyser on your phone and map out the signal where the PC will be.

I’ve bought all components for the inside of the pc except the processor and ram so at this point I’ll probably stick with my original plan and get the high end monitor off the bat and then eventually upgrade the other parts to get the most out of the monitor in the long term! Unfortunately the pc us gonna be set up in my room and the only place the modem can be connected is the living room so it would require me drilling holes in the walls and running the cables half way around the house so the wifi card is an unfortunate necessity for the time being!

What drives are you planning to use? didn't see any hdds or ssds on your list.

• Advertisement

What drives are you planning to use? didn't see any hdds or ssds on your list.

I’ll be using the Adata SU800 128gb as a boot drive and a Seagate Barracuda 2TB for game storage, I was told the Adata wasn’t the most reliable ssd as a boot drive but I had already bought it so decided to just stick with it!

Advertisement