Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Folks, same as always, if anyone has any concerns or would like to approach the half more cautiously, we're here to advise.

Good luck to those racing Tullamore tomorrow. I expect some race reports. Good luck also to you all on your LSRs. Do drop in to let us know how you got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Sorbet

Is it just me or is it getting hot in here :) fair dues to everyone - all sharing your opinions with us novices - much appreciated.

I'll lighten the mood - delighted to get my 19 mile LSR done today.

From my log:

In case they drop by, a quick thanks to Treviso and Kellygirl for the advice on eating day before and morning of the LSR. Did my 19 mile longest run this morning and while it wasn't easy it was certainly the easiest of my +10 mile runs. I believe largely down to eating pasta the night before (as well as a separate dinner) and a good breakfast. I'm definitely going to keep that up going forward for long runs.

I did have a curious wobble at km 14 of 30 where I just craved food - aqua gel didn't sort it and happily I was running in a park doing 5/6k loops and had brought some "emergency" jellies in the car. They sorted me right out and didn't look back. Is that a thing - where you need the sensation of eating something?!!

Anyway thanks again - just another example of the great advice you get on here. Be lost without it.

Best of luck everyone with your LSRs or races this weekend. I'll look on with interest as your runs come through on Strava while I have a lie in. I'm not gloating, honest :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Best of luck to all racing in Tullamore! Looking forward to ticking 19miles off my plan tomorrow!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Hey folks. I've never done any proper excercise/sports in my life (totally unfit apart from a bit of easy cycling) - but I started running back at the start of the summer by doing the C25K. Did the 8 weeks and have been running pretty regularly since. I've also been doing parkruns for the last 6 weeks now as well.

I'd love to be able to run the DCM next year. Any advice/tips on what I should be doing over the autumn/winter to be in a position to do this programme next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Rossi7

Supercell wrote: »
    Way to miss my point entirely....
    Lets keep the personal attacks out of this please.

Remind me again what your point was ? Not to listen to the advice given that it’s ok to race on tired legs ?
    If your going to question the mentors might be advisable to send them a message rather than call them out on the Novice post. If this years Novices are doubting themselves then posts like yours isn’t going to help them.
    There’s as much benefit to training & racing on tired legs. Any level of runner is going to be tired coming closer to DCM that’s the whole point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Supercell wrote: »
    I strongly feel that if you are very tired , and many will be by now, then don't race it, its inviting injury. Enjoy the event and all the comradery etc that comes from the build up, it can be a fun run while still giving some recovery for the next couple of weeks ahead and maintaining fitness reached.
    If you are carrying a niggle now then racing anything and then then doing an 18 miler the next weekend is going to be not much fun.

I've said this before, Supercell: why question the plans?

If the plans have races built in, then they're there for a reason. It gives a novice a good chance to see how their training has helped their strength, endurance and speed. A chance to see how much some adrenaline in their system has an effect after weeks of easy running. A chance to see how the body recovers after hard effort.

That doesn't give someone carte blanch to ignore their body and race all out when they know they shouldn't. I really think novices should trust their plans, but above all, listen to their own body.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Oh for the love of the good Lord Himself! Sometimes I read crap and every now and again I get to see it taken to a new level. :eek:

Firstly, the suggestion that your mentors are giving you bad advice is beyond laughable. It is a downright rude and baseless remark, the lowest I have seen on any recent mentored Novices thread. An apology should be forthcoming.

For any novices who have read some of the posts above suggesting it is sensible not to race between now and the marathon....please please disregard the nonsense and scaremongering. There is absolutely no reason to fear racing except for the 3/4 Marathon a few weeks before DCM.

The plan you are following allows you to race it. It has an easy week before it and a recovery week after it. It is only a risk if you ignore the advice to run easy runs easy during those two weeks. I have been on this thread for 3 years now as a novice, an assistant mentor and this year as an interested spectator. It has gotten so many people over the line and those who put the work in, follow the plan and embrace the logic behind it have positive outcomes. Those who don't seem not to make the start line!

Injuries can happen. I have had a couple this year. But to suggest there is any increased injury risk by racing the half is nonsensical. Yes it's possible you'll find it tough. It's possible that heavy legs will prevent you running as fast as you hope to. Racing in the middle of a training block does that. All you have to do is look at some race reports from the Frank Duffy to see that. Many far more experienced runners than you struggled and believe me it wasn't just because of the heat. It will still be of great benefit to you to give the half a good lash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭py

Looks like 20Km/hr winds in the morning for LSR. Do people think a jacket is required for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

py wrote: »
    Looks like 20Km/hr winds in the morning for LSR. Do people think a jacket is required for that?

I wouldn’t think so unless it’s less than 10 degrees or so ... I think it’s supposed to be dry?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

rizzee wrote: »
    Eating rings around me lately, especially after long runs. Also feeling quite stuffy/blocked nose etc the morning after them runs. Anyone else in the same boat?
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    It's pretty common to find yourself having a massive appetite as the training ramps up. Just try to ensure that the majority of what you are eating falls into the healthy category :).

Our immune systems will be in a slightly weakened state following a long run or tough session. Post-run refueling and recovery is very important. You might find the sections on sleeping and eating in this article relevant.

Poke your head into the Cooking Club for ideas. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1355

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 kemcloughlin

Have had a mad week with back to school, mental workload, thinking a cold was coming...that didn't...halleluiah, tapering for the half this weekend in Tullamore AKA doing absolutely nothing since Tuesday night apart from eating carbs, missing a wedding today, and being tortured by the massage therapist on Wednesday...I have no idea how I ever had time to go running, read these Boards or stalk everyone on Strava…! Running may have tapered but life certainly didn't.

Good luck to everyone who is running in Tullamore tomorrow - it's all very pink! I have no idea what anyone looks like but do say hello if you come across me...we're making a night of it with a stay afterwards in the Bridge House. We're like 2 bold teenagers - we haven't told the kids we're not coming back (I don't want to arrive back to the afters of a house party...!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

we haven't told the kids we're not coming back (I don't want to arrive back to the afters of a house party...!)
    Hopefully they don't read here or else that plan might be scuppered. :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Omg kemcloughlin, what are ye like :D:D
    I'll be keeping an eye out for you in the morning, I'll be the one in pink :D
    The wind will be more or less against us for the first half, but that means it'll be behind us for the second :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

deconduo wrote: »
    Hey folks. I've never done any proper excercise/sports in my life (totally unfit apart from a bit of easy cycling) - but I started running back at the start of the summer by doing the C25K. Did the 8 weeks and have been running pretty regularly since. I've also been doing parkruns for the last 6 weeks now as well.

I'd love to be able to run the DCM next year. Any advice/tips on what I should be doing over the autumn/winter to be in a position to do this programme next year?

Started C25K myself in 2011. Post some more info around what you've been doing. See about moving on to 10k. Look at targeting a race for some time in the new year, you might even get there soon, but hard to know without seeing your current training.

Consider starting a log. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1139

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Started C25K myself in 2011. Post some more info around what you've been doing. See about moving on to 10k. Look at targeting a race for some time in the new year, you might even get there soon, but hard to know without seeing your current training.

Consider starting a log. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1139

4Q1EODl.jpg

August stats. I try and do the parkrun as fast as I can (28 min at the moment), and then 3-4 easy runs during the week of 5-7k.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fraggle07

Just popping in to say hello. Ye're all doing so great. Great to see all the updates and progress. Well done!

Irishder hope all goes well with injury and that you're back on your feet soon.

Not much progress here. Nearly 3 weeks now since I last ran... Getting really nervous as time is ticking. My hip still isn't right. I headed off for test jog earlier this week as I was feeling much better. Unfortunately the pain kicked in at the one mile mark and I had to stop. Saw Physio yesterday, more rest from running and exercises recommended. Got a consultant apt next week for further investigation...

I was a bit upset after the failed test run. I had to limp back home with tears in my eyes watching loads of people running past me. Just felt it was all slipping through my fingers.... Physio has indicated a 2 week timeframe, and then it's decision time on whether I should continue or not :( Fingers and toes crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

DBB wrote: »
    Omg kemcloughlin, what are ye like :D:D
    I'll be keeping an eye out for you in the morning, I'll be the one in pink :D
    The wind will be more or less against us for the first half, but that means it'll be behind us for the second :)

I'll be there in the orange mullingar half marathon t shirt, black shorts and blue runners.

It's never worked out for me in a race where the conditions were against you turned in your favour :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Some healthy debate in here today :). There is no one-size-fits-all solution to training and racing. As always, when asked, we'll offer our considered opinion on your specific situation.

Well done to those who have their long runs completed already. It's great to have another milestone ticked off.

Best of luck to those racing (:eek::pac:) in the morning, and also to those of you doing long runs. There is nothing to fear, you are all well able for these distances. Make sure to refuel and recover well afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I'll be there in the orange mullingar half marathon t shirt, black shorts and blue runners.

It's never worked out for me in a race where the conditions were against you turned in your favour :eek:

I'll be in the blue irish day of PBs vest, bib 595! Come say hi if you spot me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Some healthy debate in here today :). There is no one-size-fits-all solution to training and racing. As always, when asked, we'll offer our considered opinion on your specific situation.

Well done to those who have their long runs completed already. It's great to have another milestone ticked off.

Best of luck to those racing (:eek::pac:) in the morning, and also to those of you doing long runs. There is nothing to fear, you are all well able for these distances. Make sure to refuel and recover well afterwards.

You should be a politician! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Lombardo123

Long run completed, 19 miles. New territory for me and a lot more daunting beforehand than it turned out to be if you do it right. One of my more fluid runs.

Based on the feedback here, I was well hydrated during the week and ate LOADS the last few days. I managed to get 2l water in throughout the run along with a few gels and even ran the last 12 miles of the course, which was a part of the route I wanted to get familiar with. Feeling tired now but that's to be expected.

Looking for some advice on next week's training. For a number of reasons, my next long run needs to take place Thursday (Family wedding Friday which writes Saturday off and an early flight Sunday.. Monday means 20 miles in Spanish heat which I don't like either). Thays why I brought forward this week's to tonight so I had an extra nights sleep between them.

Front loading the runs Sunday through to Tuesday next week doesn't bother me if that's what's required with a rest Wednesday before 20m Thursday but wondering is there a better way? Thanks.

Good luck to all in Tullamore tomorow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭py

Legs felt better on the LSR today, expect them to be back to normal come Tuesday's run.

Best of luck to those racing today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

Good luck to everyone racing today! Looking forward to the race reports :)

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

17 miles done this morning. Felt fine. Looking forward to a nice quiet weekend now. Best of luck to all the runners today!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭akenno

Took the advice here and brought the pace back on my LSR today, did 30km in avg 6min pace. Felt good to do it, legs weren't doing too bad, the mental thoughts are starting to creep in. I did find it boring however running slower than usual, but I'll put up with that if it is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Euphoric after finishing the 19miles this morning. My sister and her friend met me for the last 7 miles so mentally I was just getting to 12 miles and then let them chat me through the rest finishing with the park run in Castletown - it really helped, it would have been very long and lonely without them. My heel is very sore now and am limping on it but it usually eases by Sunday - have physio on Tuesday again anyway. It's a right pain - feel like everything is going well except for a damned achilles that snapped 20 years ago and still haunts me. Word to the wise: do not do step aerobics, it's not as harmless as it looks!! Now to bring my daughter to her swimming class after inhaling a post-run breakfast of sausages and eggs. Good luck to the racers and runners today!

Finally a performance and validation of the hard work and assistance on this thread.

Will have a PB and expect chip time to be around 95..
    Hope everyone else enjoyed it.

Chip time 95'30

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Fantastic running unknownability... it wasn't an easy peasy course by any standards. A lot of undulating, and that bloody wind!
    Still, the stadium finish was fun:D
    Very well done to you, you must be thrilled with yourself :)

On an entirely different level, my watch time was 2:16:00. That's a 15 minute improvement on my last half marathon in July. Lessons learned too, which is always a good thing.
    And best of all, I got to meet kemcloughlin, who will by now be wining and dining her way around Tullamore on her secret day away from the kids:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Fantastic PBs Unknownability and DBB - well done!

I don't quite know what happened this morning for my 19mile LSR, but I had the time of my life! It felt so easy the entire way and at the end I could have kept going. 30km was always a bit of a mental barrier for me, but now that I've broken it I feel amazing!

Celebrating with a mug of tea, cuddles with the doggy and an early night :pac:

• Advertisement

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Fantastic PBs Unknownability and DBB - well done!

I don't quite know what happened this morning for my 19mile LSR, but I had the time of my life! It felt so easy the entire way and at the end I could have kept going. 30km was always a bit of a mental barrier for me, but now that I've broken it I feel amazing!

Celebrating with a mug of tea, cuddles with the doggy and an early night :pac:

Thank you, I was just looking at your run and was getting dizzy looking at the blue line showing your route. Really looking forward to getting back to slow miles next week.

Advertisement