Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Haunted Houses etc in Clare/Galway?

• 29-07-2009 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Anyone know of any haunted houses or stuff like that anywhere in Clare or Galway (Woodlawn House obviously)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

There was a haunted house in Galway city on an American program recently. The program is called "a haunting" it did a reconstruction of the family that lived in it. It is in corrib park west of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

From Paranormal.ie -
    Strange Woman
    Type: Haunting Manifestation
    Date / Time: Unknown
    Further Comments: The shadowy figure of an unknown woman stands around the castle entrance, as if in waiting.

Spanish Sailors
    Date / Time: Unknown
    Further Comments: The beach below the castle is haunted by the ghosts of Spanish sailors from a shipwrecked Armada ship. Those who did not drown were quickly put to death by Boetius Clancy, the Sheriff of Clare.

Red Mary
    Date / Time: Seventeenth century
    Further Comments: Mary O'Brien was said by many to be a witch, and tales are told of how frequently she hanged her servants if they made mistakes. Some say she was finally caught by her enemies and left to stave to death in a hollow tree. Regardless of how she died, her unearthly form still returns to her castle.
    WB Yeats
    Further Comments: Yeats treated this building as home away from home, and is believed to still reside here. Several of the rooms are also haunted by the ghosts of children.

http://www.paranormal.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Shoop

6th wrote: »
    From Paranormal.ie -

http://www.paranormal.ie

I've never heard of teh Yeats one before, deinatly must search for more on that.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

There's a house or two out in oughterard..which have had poltergeist activity, pretty vague after that..have tried to find out more but have had no luck..one of the houses is on the outskirts of the village heading to clifden. Would like to know of any on this neck of the woods, Ive heard about Yeats's haunt:)..but not much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Sam Kade wrote: »
    There was a haunted house in Galway city on an American program recently. The program is called "a haunting" it did a reconstruction of the family that lived in it. It is in corrib park west of the city.

That house is in Corrib Park but it's no longer haunted as there was a cleansing done. That episode of 'A Haunting' was hilarious, the accents were terrible!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

There is supposed to be a old man seen around Maam Cross.The stories are mainly that you pass him and if you look back he s gone.Some have added that he looks sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    There is supposed to be a old man seen around Maam Cross.The stories are mainly that you pass him and if you look back he s gone.Some have added that he looks sad.

Isnt there a bar at Maam's cross? I know of a haunted place in Oughterard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Grimes wrote: »
    Isnt there a bar at Maam's cross? I know of a haunted place in Oughterard.

Yep-Peacocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    Yep-Peacocks.

Great toasted sambos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Grimes wrote: »
    Great toasted sambos
    YAY it had the plastic donkey :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Dromoland Castle is supposed to be haunted. Don't know how true that is but I've heard it from a couple of different people and also from somebody who saw a ghostly figure on the stairway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

That Yeats house do overnights?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Riamfada wrote: »
    I know of a haunted place in Oughterard.
    where's this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ha i asked the same question a few weeks ago and all i get was a smart alic reply...

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Chimo29

ultain wrote: »
    There's a house or two out in oughterard..which have had poltergeist activity, pretty vague after that..have tried to find out more but have had no luck..one of the houses is on the outskirts of the village heading to clifden. Would like to know of any on this neck of the woods, Ive heard about Yeats's haunt:)..but not much else.

Hi I know it's years after this post but I think I know of this house. It's a few miles towards clifden just inside a little forest off the main road. I'm not really a believer in these things but this house really got me about 13 years ago. I stopped with a girlfriend at the time and we looked in.. the back door started shaking and bats started flying out through a hole.
    Inside it looked lived in but like no one had been there in years...table set etc...but dusty as hell.
    I often wondered if it was just a myth told to me by someone or do others know of this house.
    Can you describe the one you know to me a bit better please?
    I'm going down to clifden from Dublin tomorrow and want to stop there and look again. Although a little apprehensive lol.
    Thanks

Chimo

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Pjizzle

Chimo29 wrote: »
    ultain wrote: »

Hi I know it's years after this post but I think I know of this house. It's a few miles towards clifden just inside a little forest off the main road. I'm not really a believer in these things but this house really got me about 13 years ago. I stopped with a girlfriend at the time and we looked in.. the back door started shaking and bats started flying out through a hole.
    Inside it looked lived in but like no one had been there in years...table set etc...but dusty as hell.
    I often wondered if it was just a myth told to me by someone or do others know of this house.
    Can you describe the one you know to me a bit better please?
    I'm going down to clifden from Dublin tomorrow and want to stop there and look again. Although a little apprehensive lol.
    Thanks

Chimo

Hello! I live out in Connemara and know the house you are talking about. My grandfather once went up to it to look in the windows and saw the same thing, table set but looked as if someone had gone in a hurry. We've always been told it's haunted and not to go up there. Throughout the years we've seen it for sale lots of times. Rumour was nobody could ever stay there. A friend of mine was asked to do work in there for the new owners (holiday makers) and he said he had a hard time finding other lads to come with him as they all said they didn't want to go inside. My friend told the home owners this and they said they were aware of the stories but they had never experienced anything. It's a terribly spooky house. I just feel like there is something not good about it that's why I stay away.

Pjizzle wrote: »
    Hello! I live out in Connemara and know the house you are talking about. My grandfather once went up to it to look in the windows and saw the same thing, table set but looked as if someone had gone in a hurry. We've always been told it's haunted and not to go up there. Throughout the years we've seen it for sale lots of times. Rumour was nobody could ever stay there. A friend of mine was asked to do work in there for the new owners (holiday makers) and he said he had a hard time finding other lads to come with him as they all said they didn't want to go inside. My friend told the home owners this and they said they were aware of the stories but they had never experienced anything. It's a terribly spooky house. I just feel like there is something not good about it that's why I stay away.

Hi
    Do you mean the same house? A few miles towards clifden there is a wooded area on the right and a lake behind trees on the left heading in the clifden direction. The house has an old metal gate and you can just about see the house behind all the bushes?
    I was in clifden over the weekend and really wanted to stop and have another look as it's been 13 years I pulled in at the gate and it still looks like nothing has been touched from the outside anyway. My girlfriend freaked out and didn't want me to leave the car so I didn't.
    Obviously nothing has been done to the house I in the 13 years since I looked in the window.
    The story I heard from my mother when I was a child was that some ucg students did some investigating into that house and during the process one jumped through one of the windows and two others committed suicide after that.
    No idea if that's just fairytales or not. When I looked inside 13 years ago it certainly looked as though it was abandoned very suddenly without a thing packed away. The table being set is what really got me thinking. We went round the back and saw bats flying around and a partly damaged wooden door in the back.
    I'm so curious to look in the windows again and take some pics this time to see if they show anything after. I might go down sometime with friends. But I really can't see myself going inside. Don't think I'd have the guts to do that.. there's definitely a strange feeling about that house .
    I've never thought much about haunted houses and wicklow gaol and the likes but that house always made me think...
    If you want I'll post the GPS location so you know the one I mean unless you know exactly which one I mean.
    Unfortunately I probably won't be down there till about March now but who knows.
    If anyone else has a look, please post..

Chimo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Think I found it on Google Maps. Might take a spin over at some stage to have a look. Easy enough to enter the house?

Think I found it on Google Maps. Might take a spin over at some stage to have a look. Easy enough to enter the house?

Hi. I've attached the coordinates and a screen shot of the house marked with a star from oughterard out towards clifden.
    Funny enough looking at the map in satellite mode the top gables of the house are shaped as an upside down cross lol..creepy.
    Please let me know if it's the same one and of you go inside please take loads of pics. I'm dying to see.
    From what I remember the wooden back door was not in good condition and could easily be opened.. there were bats in there too so don't be too startled by that. I wouldn't go inside but if you do please post any pics you do take.

Regards
    Chimo

Hi. I've attached the coordinates and a screen shot of the house marked with a star from oughterard out towards clifden.
    Funny enough looking at the map in satellite mode the top gables of the house are shaped as an upside down cross lol..creepy.
    Please let me know if it's the same one and of you go inside please take loads of pics. I'm dying to see.
    From what I remember the wooden back door was not in good condition and could easily be opened.. there were bats in there too so don't be too startled by that. I wouldn't go inside but if you do please post any pics you do take.

Regards
    Chimo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Did you ever take a look?

Our family has talked about that place for decades too. Its almost a landmark on the road between Galway and clifden.

And people joke about it a lot but i've ever actually heard of anyone going in. personally I wouldnt go near it, not a chance.

sounds very interesting... MMm might have to try and find this place.

Milly33 wrote: »
    sounds very interesting... MMm might have to try and find this place.

Be careful. (I dont think I would have ever posted its location.) And post pictures, i've only ever glimpsed it through the trees.
    There's a group of large old evergreen trees in front that are out of place for the area and block any view of it from the road.

As Pjizzle wrote its been bought and sold a few times over the years I think. The driveway was cleaned up at one point.

6th wrote: »
    From Paranormal.ie -
    WB Yeats
    Further Comments: Yeats treated this building as home away from home, and is believed to still reside here. Several of the rooms are also haunted by the ghosts of children.

Room 27 is the haunted room I think.

Although I think its a little fanciful to think the ghost is Yeats. When I was younger I had heard about a young girl. And I think Yeats has been added later to bring in the tourists.

thanks for the word of warning, will take it easy

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dvkv7

Did you have a look at the house? Very interested to hear.

no not yet, have to wait till i can get someone to go with

no not yet, have to wait till i can get someone to go with

Did anyone ever look into this house since this conversation? The one on the clifden road from oughtarard? Would love to know. Thinking of going to see at some point.

No never managed to get there myself, checked out the one in Oranmore but there isnt a hope of getting in there unless you have a streamers

• Advertisement

No never managed to get there myself, checked out the one in Oranmore but there isnt a hope of getting in there unless you have a streamers

Hopefully I'll get youbsee it soon. I'll be heading down that way in the next few months anyway. Some people going with me said they'd go in. Not sure if i will though haha...

Advertisement