Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sigfox - first impressions

Options
  • 08-03-2021 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭

I bought meself a Sigfox module a while back and started trying it out

Registering the device was reasonably straightforward, as is interfacing it with the computing machine - I use a 3.3v FTDI cable for now and the cable provides sufficient power to run it.

Coverage is decent in rural North Cork. Didn't have to place the antenna anywhere special to make it work.

The biggest disadvantage seems to be the limited number of downstream messages (4x 8byte messages per day) and it appears to be the case that the module needs to request a downstream message before it can be sent.

I havn't received a downstream message on it yet as I need to set up a script on my web server to handle the call

Still if the device is sending out a generic stats message every 15 minutes and requests the downstream frame it might be possible to use it for switching on heating or other devices without relying on Wifi/GSM. Havn't yet discovered if requesting the downlink frame alone eats into the 4 messages a day budget. If it does it might be completely useless for home automation use

Upstream is not so limited - 140x 12byte messages per day

Advertisement