Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Novice Amateur In Every Way

• 21-09-2020 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

So here I am looking to keep myself accountable for the next year so I can achieve some realistic goals and possibly some unrealistic ones aswell.

Background
    - Male
    - Mid 30's
    - Married with two kids (ages 12 and 2)
    - Accountant working from home currently
    - 77KG (ish)
    - 5' 8"

Fitness History

Swim
    I worked as a lifeguard and swim teacher when I was in school/college so I know I'm not the worst swimmer but I'm not the best either. I haven't given much time to swimming training over the last number of years so this next year will require some serious input.

As far as open water swimming is concerned I'm a novice. I've done the Lee swim previously - put in all the training in the pool so when it came to the day I blew out and found it very hard to cope. This is something I'm looking at giving a go of again but this time with more structured training.

Cycle
    Once again pretty much a novice here aswell. I haven't cycled past 40KM for about 3 years so this will have to increase gradually over the year.

I'm investing in a new bike over the coming weeks to allow me have a decent go at the bike element but over winter I'm hoping to bring my distance up using a turbo trainer indoors and hit Spring with a good base to push on from into the new year.

Run
    I've completed several runs in the past everything from 5ks to a Marathon (but that was in 2010 so can't rely on any miles from that anymore).

I wouldn't consider myself a fast runner, in fact from reading other peoples training diaries I consider myself slower than what most people consider plodding. My pace would be 5.50/KM (9.20/M) for most runs where I would feel comfortable with the pace tapering as I'm nearing the end of the distance where I feel comfortable.

Goals
    So like alot of people I've looked on from afar when triathlons are advertised/taking place thinking I'd love to have a go off that. So with the Ironman 70.3 set to take place in Cork next year I've bitten the bullet and signed up. I know in triathlon community there's a bit of snobbishness surrounding the IM brand but for me I want to whole experience - the large crowds, the organised venue, the closed roads, everything and I'm using it as the goal to aim for. I'm using it as my RACE.

For the RACE I don't have any preconceived notions of putting down a magnificent time or anything, I'm just concerned with getting around having put in a decent effort representative of the training I've completed so if 8.29.59 is what it reads on the clock when I cross the line I'll still be happy.

With the RACE not until August I'm looking to knock off a few other events before then, half-marathons, a tour or two, the Lee Swim again, these I plan on incorporating into my schedule and building my training towards so as to give me short-term goals aswell.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Nidot

So this was the week I just had up to yesterday where I had a virtual half marathon to complete.

Sun - 13/09
    Run 14.52KM
    Duration 1.33.54
    Pace 6.28/KM
    Training run in Tramore Valley Park. Haven't run here before and I don't think I'll be giving it a go again. The Park undulates quite a bit with a gravel track making it hard on the feet. Good to get it done but the pace was well off where I wanted it to be.

Mon - 14/09
    Run 5.0KM
    Duration 0.25.36
    Pace 5.07/KM
    Went out there to blast a quick time to see how I can go. Went early morning so the route was very quiet. New 5K PB for me.

Tues - 15/09
    Rest Day

Wed - 16/09
    Rest Day

Thurs - 17/09
    Run 8.11KM
    Duration 0.47.24
    Pace 5.51/KM
    Went out mid morn again. Felt good heading out and the weather was fantastic for run (bit of cloud cover, slight breeze, fresh). Run takes me more on backroads around home and it's a solid route I plan on using for my training runs. Happy to be at this pace.

Fri - 18/09
    Cycle 14.11KM
    Duration 0.42.12
    Avg Speed 20.1
    Elev Gain 86
    Took a commuter bike I currently have for a little spin. Felt grand to be out cycling but I know that I'll have to be keeping atleast this pace up come the RACE. The route I took was to stretch the legs as it's through estates and back road - nothing I would consider race roads but it showed me for proper training spins I'll have to get onto proper roads to get mileage up.

Sat - 19/09
    Rest Day with half marathon tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Best of luck and enjoy the journey. Just make sure thay you enter a triathlon or two early next year so that you are not doing your first triathlon at the 70.3. Ideally you would try the sport first before entering a half but nothing wrong with jumping straight in if that is for you.

EC1000 wrote: »
    Best of luck and enjoy the journey. Just make sure thay you enter a triathlon or two early next year so that you are not doing your first triathlon at the 70.3. Ideally you would try the sport first before entering a half but nothing wrong with jumping straight in if that is for you.

Thanks EC1000.

I'm hoping to do one or two short distances alright next year.

I've looked at both 'Hook or by Crook' and 'King of the Hill' which would both be easy enough to add to the schedule.

Also Cork Tri Club are based locally so hoping to link in with them where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Nidot wrote: »

Also Cork Tri Club are based locally so hoping to link in with them where possible.

You could do a lot worse than joining a club right now.

There is generally great support form like minded individuals who will be at all levels. Key advantages will be planned training sessions and most likely pool and cycle training through the winter.

When I was at your stage, I found my running improved no end through having the competitive challenge through training with others. There will always be someone just that bit better than you to give you a target to chase.

Training with others will help you motivationally and with consistency.

Most of all you MUST enjoy the journey you are embarking on. It is a hobby and should be fun while testing yourself.

sconhome wrote: »
    You could do a lot worse than joining a club right now.

There is generally great support form like minded individuals who will be at all levels. Key advantages will be planned training sessions and most likely pool and cycle training through the winter.

When I was at your stage, I found my running improved no end through having the competitive challenge through training with others. There will always be someone just that bit better than you to give you a target to chase.

Training with others will help you motivationally and with consistency.

Most of all you MUST enjoy the journey you are embarking on. It is a hobby and should be fun while testing yourself.

Thanks sconhome.

It's in my thoughts alright, element I'll struggle with most, probably like many others, is fitting the training into the schedule with work and kids.

• Advertisement

Sun - 20/09
    Run 21.1KM
    Duration 2.13.41
    Pace 6.20/KM
    Part of the Dublin series which I'm now running virtually for a charity. Happy enough with how the run went. As I expected my last few KMs were where I struggled, kept up an average of under 6.10/KM until 17KM when it dropped down to 7.10/KM. Just didn't have enough sorted before heading out for the run - I hadn't placed any water drops after the first 12KM so once that was done I was on my own. For any future runs of this distance I must plan to have water further on the route. Also, thinking I should try gels or bars, I haven't ever taken them, but many online seem to be using them. Does anyone have any good suggestions for something light on the stomach.

Mon - 21/09
    Rest Day

Tues - 22/09
    Rest Day

Wed - 23/09
    Run 14.1KM
    Duration 1.22.17
    Pace 5.49/KM
    Grand run over lunch time. Kept good pace.

Thurs - 24/09
    Bike 30mins
    Set up turbo trainer in the garage here on a wet day. It's a dumb turbo so connected to nothing - looking at getting the Wahoo tracker so I'll have some data on it. Looking to use it to build up strength and stamina in the legs over next few months.

Fri - 25/09
    Rest

Sat - 26/09
    Rest. Had planned on getting a swim session done today but other tasks took over. Delayed until tomorrow but that's what I want to do over the coming months with training - move around sessions to times that suit while also getting the required training completed.

News
    Bought a new bike. Went with Giant Revolt as I want it to be used outside of road use as well. I'll use this bike for just myself cycling and use the Trek for spinning around home with the family.

Here's hoping that the Giant Revolt will get me through the RACE and all the training required until then - do people have any past experience using it for Tris?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

high 5 gels are / were pretty easy on the stomach,

they used to come into lidl every now and again too, but havent seen them in there for a while

woody1 wrote: »
    high 5 gels are / were pretty easy on the stomach,

they used to come into lidl every now and again too, but havent seen them in there for a while

Thanks Woody, I'll pick up some in town or in some sports store. Not too put off on the price (don't think I'll use them too much) just want something that's not going to leave me with an upset stomach to worry about during a session.

Sun - 27/09
    Swim 720m
    Duration 21:30
    Pace 29:52/KM
    First swimming session as part of training. Swimming in a local hotel pool so it's only 18m long which caused a few headaches with the other swimmers in there. Our membership is running out soon so I plan on moving to a local 25m pool for the winter for training swims.

Mon - 28/09
    Run 8.1KM
    Duration 45:55
    Pace 5:40/KM
    Good morning run on the 5M route around home. I want to bring this run below 45mins over winter which I feel is very achievable. The element which comes against me here is the pull around the 4M mark which is quite steep (don't know the gradient) but I end up having to walk this section just to lift my legs.

Tues - 29/09
    Bike 40mins
    Turbo again in the garage - going to have to get the tracker to measure heart rate and distance going.

Weds - 30/09
    Rest Day

Thurs - 01/10
    Swim 720m
    Duration 21:50
    Pace 30:19
    Slower than on Sunday but I have been reading a few of the logs kept by others and noted how focusing on swim technique has been important for them so with that I slowed my stroke down, making sure to get the full extension and glide. I must say it worked in that I did the session without any breaks and felt I had loads more to give. So going to work on that for the next few weeks while stretching out the distance then see where I am.

Fri - 02/10
    Bike 60mins
    Turbo set up in front of the TV - much easier than just looking out the window in the garage.

Sat - 03/10
    Run 14KM
    Duration 1:18:57
    Pace 5:38/KM
    Felt run went very well until the 10/11KM mark where I could feel the energy beginning to drain - supporting more my thinking of looking at gels/foods to bring with me on the long sessions. Going to look at what's available over the week and put an order in then for somewhere.
    Good news is that I was well within the 45min mark for 5M on this run which doesn't include the pull until 12KM mark. I was going at 43:30 for this so my hope will be to keep this going and do the John Treacy in Feb and get it under 1:30:00.

Worries this morning about the training and planned races for the next few months since NPHET have indicated moving the country to Level 5.

I've got my name down for the Clonakilty Half Marathon at the end of November and I'm wondering will it go ahead now. My wife is saying it'll be called off with the uncertainty at the moment - we may not be out of Level 5 until mid November and who's going to try and run a race coming out of that with all the confusion.

Oh will there ever be just a clear racing calendar again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

keep training towards the race, the worst thing that can happen is the race is called off but you have built some nice fitness going into Dec and the new year.

all you can do is keep training, i fully understand the situation though, was tipping away meself until may and then just couldnt bring myself to keep doing that level of training anymore, have done a couple of races in the last 2 weeks and i can see the difference they make motivationally ,

woody1 wrote: »
    all you can do is keep training, i fully understand the situation though, was tipping away meself until may and then just couldnt bring myself to keep doing that level of training anymore, have done a couple of races in the last 2 weeks and i can see the difference they make motivationally ,

Ya it's the motivation you need with it in the calendar.

My training over the summer had a run flavor to it mainly as I had the Dublin series (virtual) and the Clon Half down as goals to encourage me to lace up the runners.

If I'm thinking logically I don't see the Clon race going ahead - the number of cases are still too high and by the time they might be lowering to an acceptable level (2/3 weeks from now) the Clon organisers would have to be making a decision - it's just too tight on time.

How do people keep the training tempo up?

I headed out for a quick 5M run this morning and just found it hard. The time wasn't terrible - roughly what I'm doing for this route regularly but it just felt slow, felt like I was slogging around, and after it I feel more tired and worn than usual.

I don't think I did anything particularly differently, had same breakfast and same routine until I headed out. Only difference was that I wore tracksuit pants instead of shorts and I won't be doing that again - felt that they were touching my leg all the time if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭carbonceiling

How do people keep the training tempo up?

I headed out for a quick 5M run this morning and just found it hard. The time wasn't terrible - roughly what I'm doing for this route regularly but it just felt slow, felt like I was slogging around, and after it I feel more tired and worn than usual.

I don't think I did anything particularly differently, had same breakfast and same routine until I headed out. Only difference was that I wore tracksuit pants instead of shorts and I won't be doing that again - felt that they were touching my leg all the time if that makes sense.

Fitness for endurance is built over the long term and over that long term you are going to have days where you have less energy than normal and days where you have more energy than normal, nobody feels the exact same every day.

I think the key is to take a more relaxed approach and move on to the next session, don't dwell on a single day where you ran slower than normal, it happens everyone. if it occurs a few days in a row, maybe back off for a bit until you feel the appetite to push on again but you shouldn't expect that your body will feel the same every day.

I always try to keep my eye on the long run, and that includes decades ahead into old age. the goal is to be as fit and as active and as healthy as you can be for as long as possible. Sustained periods of regular training will serve you much better in the long run than sporadic periods where you ramp up the training super fast and are then forced to ramp it back down just as fast through exhaustion / injury.

I don't know your training background before your log started, but it feels like you have increased your training load significantly over the last few weeks and now you are running out of steam a little. my gut instinct would be to rein it in a little, consolidate the good work you have already done and then try to build on that by increasing the training load at a steadier pace.

I'm not a nutrition expert, but I don't think you need gels for a training run of 1hr 15 mins. You should already have more than enough energy on board to cope with that. If you are running out of steam towards the end, it's most likely you are running too fast and need to slow down.

Sun - 04/10
    Rest Day

Mon - 05/10
    Swim 720m
    Duration 0:21:07
    Pace 29:19/KM
    This could be my last swim for a while as the hotel where the pool is based has closed after the discovery of a COVID case. Could be a blessing in disguise as we've decided to move to another location for our pool and gym membership. The pool is only 18m long so it's more for splashing around really.

Tues - 06/10
    Spinning 55mins
    Good just to get the legs going when it's raining outside.

Weds - 07/10
    Rest Day

Thursday - 08/10
    Run 8.1KM
    Duration 0:47:08
    Pace 5:48/KM
    This is the run I posted about last week where I just couldn't get it going. Nothing wrong before I went out just didn't have a good run. I definitely made the mistake trying it in sports pants - won't be doing that again felt like my legs were totally worn after it and I'm putting it down to this.

Friday - 09/10
    Bike 13.8KM
    Duration 0:42:24
    Pace 19.5KM
    Ok this session while slow in overall speed terms is probably how I need to use short time during lunch on the bike. There's a hill coming out of home which I set about going up and coming back around to the start for several loops. Mistake I made is that the loop took me through an estate to get back to the bottom of the hill which totally slowed me down - the path goes through a public area so loads of people out walking who I'm trying not to kill in my pursuit of time.

Sat - 10/10
    Rest Day

Overall happy enough with the week but the biggest disappointment came on Saturday night when the Clon Marathon was cancelled. I can see why it's being cancelled but it's another race gone from the calendar - I don't know how they'll fit so many redo's in next year.

The pool situation will hopefully be sorted within a few weeks as the pool we're thinking of moving to has a 25M pool with several lanes so much more conducive to my training plans.

Thanks to Carbonceiling for what you have said. To give a bit of plan I'm currently using a hybrid Fink plan which I'm having to adjust due to the pool situation. My plan is that come February I'll be comfortably able to fit all the base sessions from Finks plan into my own schedule and have the fitness built up to maintain that. Then use Finks 6 month plan to get me to August - I'm giving myself the extra 2 months to take step back weeks during the schedule so as I'm not over loading myself.

Sun - 11/10
    Run 8.12KM
    Duration 0:44:38
    Pace 5:29/KM
    It may not be fast for anyone else but this was a great little achievement for me. Doing 5M below 45mins is a yardstick I wanted to get to in preparation for the road races next year and to of acheieved it so early in my training I'm very happy.

My plan in terms of road races next year includes John Treacy and Sonia O'Sullivan 10 milers in Feb and April respectively and I'm hoping to go below 1:30 in both.

It also puts a sub 2:00 half-marathon as a realistic goal with Clon in March and Cork in June, with both leading into the RACE in August.

I'm being far too optimistic really tho. I'm writing this as we're set to hear what the cabinet have decided for Level 4 / 5 lockdown for the next few weeks so any racing plans should have a big 'IF' next to them. And with the pools pretty much closed for action my swim training has gone to pot. I was planning on going to a 25m public pool close by this week, try to get there more than once a week until I sort my own membership issues, but I can't see these places being open for much use either.

Mon - 12/10
    Rest Day.

Tues - 13/10
    Spinning 40mins
    Set it up in the garage so trying to get sessions in at lunch for this week.

Wed - 14/10
    Spinning 60mins

Thurs - 15/10
    Run 9.29KM
    Duration 0:52:06
    Pace 5:36/KM
    I had to drop a package over to the post office so just used it as an opportunity to get a quick run in. Nothing spectacular just solid pounding pavement. I got home afterwards and my eldest said I was literally dripping swet - I don't know is that a good thing or bad, or a compliment or not but felt grand out after it.

Fri - 16/10
    Rest Day.

Sat - 17/10
    Rest Day.

Overall happy enough with what I did turned out. I'm feeling more comfortable on the turbo for cycling for an hour so looking to bring that up to 1:30 over the next few weeks as a standard session - the new bike should be in hand soon enough so would like to get out on that aswell.

The running has once again proven to be comfortable for me so I'll keep up that sort of mileage over the next few week.

Anyway onwards and upwards as we await what comes out of todays COVID announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭joey100

Can I ask, are you following a plan? Are you being honest about your rest days, are they planned or you waking up thinking I'll take a rest day. Seems to be a fair few in the last 2 weeks, think 6 days? Little and often might be a better approach than stretching out your current sessions. So rather than stretching the turbo out to 90 mins aim for 2x 1hrs instead. I'm not trying to pick holes in anything your doing, just curious.

joey100 wrote: »
    Can I ask, are you following a plan? Are you being honest about your rest days, are they planned or you waking up thinking I'll take a rest day. Seems to be a fair few in the last 2 weeks, think 6 days? Little and often might be a better approach than stretching out your current sessions. So rather than stretching the turbo out to 90 mins aim for 2x 1hrs instead. I'm not trying to pick holes in anything your doing, just curious.

Thanks for the feedback, it's important to think of these elements.

So to start with my aim is to ensure come August I can fully get around the course, like I said 8:29:59 and I'm happy. I'm hoping that with some training and enough prep I can get better than that.

I'm not following any specific training plan yet but I plan on following an Ash/Penker plan to get me to race day. The plan itself doesn't kick in properly until 3 months before the event so I'm hoping that I can put myself in good position with that come April next year, so giving myself plenty of time.

The plan has only 5 sessions per week with the peak number of hours training per week at 12 hours. In the fourth month of the plan it has the training of 6-8 hours per week and my aim is to get my own training up to this standard with the ability to:
      Run Half-Marathon Cycle 3 Hours Swim Mile

I think given my current training I can comfortably aim to run half marathon and cycle the 3 hours by Feb with the only uncertainty being the swimming - COVID dependent with all swim training at the moment.

In the plan for beginner it states that you should be able to do a 6:00/6:30 time with the following breakdown:
      Swim 1.2M - 0:45:00 Cycle 56M - 3:10:00 (hoping to bring my training up to this over the winter) Run 13.1M - 2:10:00 (should be capable of a time close to this by Feb on current training)

Got the flu jab yesterday and must say I've been knocked by it - feeling no energy in my legs or arms today.

I'm pro-vaccine, just saying how I'm feeling after getting it.

Hopefully the feeling will pass by the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭S_D

Got the flu jab yesterday and must say I've been knocked by it - feeling no energy in my legs or arms today.

I'm pro-vaccine, just saying how I'm feeling after getting it.

Hopefully the feeling will pass by the weekend.

Strange..its not a live vaccine?... maybe just the added recent load.

S_D wrote: »

I was thinking more the effects of the vaccine:
    Flu vaccine side effects
    You may have a mild fever and aching muscles for a couple of days after having the vaccine. Your arm may also be a bit sore where you got the injection.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭carbonceiling

S_D wrote: »

I use an Oura ring to monitor overnight HRV. Last year I got the flu vaccine for the first time and my HRV dropped immediately afterwards, way way lower than normal. it took about 3 or 4 days for it to get back to normal levels. I was surprised because, as you say it is not a live vaccine but it's definitley having some sort of impact on your body.

I use an Oura ring to monitor overnight HRV. Last year I got the flu vaccine for the first time and my HRV dropped immediately afterwards, way way lower than normal. it took about 3 or 4 days for it to get back to normal levels. I was surprised because, as you say it is not a live vaccine but it's definitley having some sort of impact on your body.

It would definitely make people think of when they're going to get it, I couldn't imagine getting it if I was building up to a match, race or something - I'm grand enough in that I can just take it easy for a few days.

Sun - 18/10
    Spinning 55mins

Mon - 19/10
    Run - 8.11KM
    Duration - 0:45:24
    Pace - 5:36/KM
    Lovely run over lunch. Back at the desk for the afternoon and really felt the mental benefits of getting out for it

Tues - 20/10
    Swim - 1.1KM
    Duration - 0:30:23
    Pace - 28:08/KM
    Last swimming session for a while I' say :(:(:(
    Went back to the hotel pool where we are joined just to get a session in as my swimming had gone to the dogs. Felt grand and able for the session and I know I was taking it easy - plenty left at the end of the hald hour time limit. I wonder how swimming pools will handle everything once lockdown eases?

Weds - 21/10
    Flu Jab :mad::mad:

Thurs / Fri - 22/10 & 23/10
    Feeling the effects of Flu jab. :(:(

Sat - 24/10
    Spinning for 50 mins to get something done for the day. Feeling better since Wednesdays Flu jab.

Sun - 25/10
    Cycle - 20.96KM
    Duration - 1:00:49
    Pace - 2:54/KM
    Outdoor spin on the bike. Felt good going across town. I didn't head out on any particular cycle route as I wanted to stay local in case of rain (didn't fancy getting a soaking on top of the Flu jab reaction from earlier in the week) and I was vindicated when after 45 mins the heavens opened up and it lashed rain. I was lucky to nip in under the awning of entrance way to a house and waited it out there before heading for home mostly dry and thankful that I hadn't gone far.

Mon - 26/10
    Run - 8.59KM
    Duration - 0:47:33
    Pace - 5:32/KM
    Quick run over lunch. Didn't get caught in any rain and I was back in time to enjoy the rest of the afternoon.

Overall very happy with how training went over the last few days, apart from the Flu jab laying me low, which allowed me get a few sessions in.

Tues - 27/10
    Rest Day

Weds - 28/10
    Run - 8.67KM
    Duration - 0:49:26
    Pace - 5:42/KM

Thurs - 29/10
    Spin for an hour on the Turbo. Ordered sensors from Amazon to get some feedback on how my power and distance is so will set them up once I have them in hand. Will probably join Zwift aswell to give it a go over the winter months.

Fri - 30/10
    Run - 14.89KM
    Duration - 1:28:53
    Pace - 5:58/KM

Very happy with this run as I had to take a detour about 40 mins around as nature called which cost me about 5 mins as I jumped the fence into a wooded area for coverage.

Sat - 31/10
    Rest day with the family.

So how am I feeling coming to the end of October?

On a stats basis I'm fairly happy:

Run Total - 79.8KM
    Average Pace - 5:40/KM

Cycle Total - 34.8KM
    Average Pace - 2:57/KM
    There were also 6:30 spent on the turbo spinning during the month so that will hopefully continue.

Swim Total - 2.5KM
    Average Pace - 29:16/KM

So I know for most people these aren't any great stats to be writing home about but I know where I need to focus aswell as that's important.

The cycle distance will have to increase along with the regularity of getting out on the bike into actual roads but given winter is coming in I don't know where this is going to happen so I'm happy that I'm getting 3 or so sessions a week on the Turbo.

Swimming of course is gone to the dogs and I'm waiting to see how it'll be impacted with COVID. I'm not sure I want to trying to increase my swimming distance until I can get there more regularly and who knows when that'll be...

Anyway into November with all the hope a new month brings. I'm really excited actually to get the speed and cadence sensor for the Turbo and hook them up to give Zwift a try - from all the coverage on instagram and other training websites it looks like good fun.

I'm hoping to continue the running training at 2/3 times a week with a thought in the back of my head that I'm going to do a half marathon distance run myself towards the end of November and see what time I'm capable of putting down. I'm thinking 2:00 should be in my range and if I get that I'd be delighted as it's 15 mins quicker than I've ran an official half before.

So it’s been a bit of a break since I last updated this due to a number of reasons (work, birthdays, family elements) but I’ve been trying to keep my training up as much as possible.

I’ve been lucky enough to get the new bike sorted and took delivery last week – like a kid at Christmas I was delighted to be out showing it off.

Over the last three weeks I’ve split my training as below where I now try to distinguish between road cycle and zwift:

Week 1/11 – 7/11

Date Activity Time Distance - KM Pace / KM
    01/11/2020 Spinning 00:48:00
    02/11/2020 Spinning 00:57:29
    03/11/2020 Run 00:55:11 4.81 00:11:28
    05/11/2020 Spinning 01:00:03
    07/11/2020 Run 01:07:49 11.31 00:06:00

Week 8/11 – 14/11

09/11/2020 Spinning 00:56:45
    10/11/2020 Run 01:07:03 11.43 00:05:52
    12/11/2010 Spinning 01:00:00
    13/11/2020 Run 00:47:06 8.73 00:05:24

Week 15/11 – 21/11

15/11/2020 Zwift 00:36:31 22.09 00:01:39
    16/11/2020 Run 00:45:05 8.12 00:05:33
    18/11/2020 Zwift 00:46:45 21.27 00:02:12
    18/11/2020 Cycle 00:30:23 8.71 00:03:29
    20/11/2020 Run 00:56:31 9.84 00:05:45
    21/11/2020 Zwift 00:51:43 27.79 00:01:52

I must say I’m really enjoying Zwift for the training with the preprogrammed workouts its very good to get a quick session in. How does effort on Zwift compare to real cycle? I did a cycle on the 22nd and I was averaging 3:00/KM or so on a pretty hilly route with 55KM in total done and it’s definitely different experience.

Anyway training took a step back this week after picking up a head cold from my eldest who had it last week so haven’t done much since Monday but hopefully I’ll shake it off and get back into 4/5 sessions a week at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

i like zwift myself, its great for getting in workouts when dark or p1ssing down and I'm too old and fragile to get wet and cold.

imo power is power, so being able to do an hour at x power on zwift you should be able to hold similar power on the road, (using the same power meter as a source)
    the speed on zwift is no where near real life, lack of wind and the perfect road surface.

the major down side from zwift is bike handling, this is something you dont have to worry about but in real life you do.

• Advertisement

cant handle zwift at all
    was congratulating myself up to last week at staying cycling outside in the rain
    but the drop in temperature meant cold and wet, not just wet, zwift is looking a lot more appealing, funny enough im working off a dumb trainer set up with approximated power and i find i have to work very hard to get close to real life speed , if you can avoid every workout turning into a race then its very handy this time of year,

Advertisement