Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trashing of our parks and beaches

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

accensi0n wrote: »
    I'd say this particular point has been noted a million times but what really gets me is the littering of cigarette butts by people that wouldn't normally litter.

It's so strange, I see senior managers in my work do it who would never throw a wrapper on the ground.

Yeah it's a strange one..I'd also like to add in

1. People who spit chewing gum out
    2. People who spit. Nothing more nauseating than trying to sidestep fúckin globs of hocked up phlegm eugh. Saw it all the time when I worked in town. Anyone doing it should be just shot.

Good luck with that. They aren't bothered licensing them, let alone having them microchipped. And as for the 'supply' side it's like the Wild West with theft, smuggling and dodgy mom and pop breeders.

It's ok cause they "saw the dad".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Its been brutal of late.

The problem we have here is that leaving your shiet beside a bin rather than bringing it home is incentivised. You've to pay for it to be collected at home.

We desperately need to take the waste management back into council ownership in every county. Let Greyhound/CitiBin/Panda tender to pick up a particular district.

Waste charges should be a flat fee added to your property tax - for this, you get your black, green and brown bin lifted. People who want to recycle will, people who don't wont - but there will be no incentive to throw your rubbish on the street, burn it or fill a street bin. This way, we can provide more street bins and they are solely for the person passing by the bin. In addition, there is no escaping or hiding behind GDPR.

We desperately need the bottle and can return scheme. Eamon Ryan bleated about this for years in opposition. If it doesn't work with glass (which I think is a stumbling block) - we add 25c to every glass bottle sold, and then we can afford to put bottle banks, etc all over the place at every park/beach/shopping centre/wherever because the funding is there to facilitate it through a glass bottle tax.

At the moment, Wexford County Council spend 90m quid a year on collecting fly tipped waste - if this is the same everywhere, this is 2.34bn in the 26 counties. This is staggering and if councils can afford that, why not fix the problem at source?

For the rare sunny warm weekends that we do get in this country, there should be more than enough money for councils to pay workers triple time or whatever to make sure the bins are changed in parks and beaches. It must be about 10 weekends a year tops that we are taking about.

Or people can tidy up themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

On my way to work on a certain morning I pass a whole lot of houses, wheelie bins I could count on one hand.
    Until waste is taken seriously in this country this problem is only going to grow.
    Surely if the council know there is say 100 houses in an area and the bin man has 10 customer's that should bring up a flag.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The councils did bins for years and refused to enforce payments on people. There was massive arrears when they finally got rid of it.

I like the property tax idea tbh although in rented accomodation I think the tenants need to pay for bins.

Or people can tidy up themselves.

Exactly. How many of these people would just throw a used nappy or scrape their dinner plate onto the floor in their own kitchen "because the bin was full". It's a wider problem in today's society - zero accountability.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I saw an ad on Australian TV years ago.

It started off with a group of people watching TV sitting on their sofas in the front room. One guy got up and took a piss in the corner, one spat on the floor, a woman came in and spewed on the floor. The kids pulled wallpaper from the wall and broke bits off furniture. The floor was littered with chip papers, cans, all sort of sh!te.

The slogan was along the lines of 'If you wouldn't do it in your front room, don't do it in the National park'.

Bottom line, it's **** parenting, but as a public service ad, I thought it was pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

GreeBo wrote: »
    Bushy park has been the same over the last few weeks, in some cases they just pile their crap up beside the bins.
    They then get annihilated by the animals and its mess everywhere.

The area around bankstand was covered in cans and broken bottles yesterday morning. :(

Same **** again in Bushy this morning, carnage all over the place.

Its bloody hard enough to drag my sorry ass out for a run without having to dodge bottles and cans, not to mention the seemingly hundreds of trays of curry chips.

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    Same **** again in Bushy this morning, carnage all over the place.

Its bloody hard enough to drag my sorry ass out for a run without having to dodge bottles and cans, not to mention the seemingly hundreds of trays of curry chips.

Money back on glass bottles and cans would make a big difference I think, still the foil and polystyrene take away trays are a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

This country has produced too many teenagers with zero values.

Dragged up, not brought up.

The absolute state of an inner city Luas stop yesterday, I wont say which one. People sat on the bench eating McDonalds and left every single item on the ground.

With a bin 5 meters away!

Biker79 wrote: »

The absolute state of an inner city Luas stop yesterday, I wont say which one. People sat on the bench eating McDonalds and left every single item on the ground.

I wonder would the way to go would be to fine the likes of McDonald's and KFC etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

I wonder would the way to go would be to fine the likes of McDonald's and KFC etc

I believe Zero tolerance is the only solution.

Cant keep sidestepping the issue of personal responsibility and civic pride. Can't always be somebody else's fault.

Fines issued from wireless handheld devices linked to PPS numbers, so that the Taxman will deduct the fine, is one idea.

Actually, I'm beginning to come around to the Chinese way of managing these issues:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/china-social-credit-system-explained

• Registered Users Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭corks finest

Money back on glass bottles and cans would make a big difference I think, still the foil and polystyrene take away trays are a problem.
    They do it in Germany ( bottles )

Whenever you go to McDonald's or KFC etc your handed a bag full of plastic, paper and cardboard that there is no need for. They don't care where it ends up after it leaves the shop, and most of it is for attracting people and advertising.
    All I want is my food, ok you will need a small amount of paper to wrap and separate but not a car load of rubbish after two people have eaten that won't even fit into the bin outside.
    Until the main money makers in this problem are bought to book the problem will remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,703 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Biker79 wrote: »

No no, these are the young, environmentally aware disciples of Greta, they are our future.
    (God help us)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

No no, these are the young, environmentally aware disciples of Greta, they are our future.
    (God help us)

After seeing the pictures of Milltown it's fairly galling to think that young people will lecture the rest of society on environmental matters when these filthy pigs will not clean up after themselves. Never mind covid, the way they left the park was utterly shameful and there was not one person there that didn't know it was wrong. They just didn't care.

First, a return scheme should be set up for bottles and cans, secondly take aways should be responsible for the paper and foil waste they and their customers produce and three, there should be absolutely zero tolerance for this. Cans bottles should carry a unique mark that can be traced back to the purchaser and they should receive punishing fines and litter picking duty for this.

Yes the above sounds expensive but the only way to solve it is to make business and individuals responsible for waste. Civic mindedness is a failed concept here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,703 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yes the above sounds expensive but the only way to solve it is to make business and individuals responsible for waste. Civic mindedness is a failed concept here.

Sending out council workers to pick up everything from black bags, dumped furniture and appliances is probably just as expensive.

Some form of public awareness is badly wanting for those that can be shamed and real consequences for those who cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I know bored youths have always been a problem, but it seems to be getting worse of late.

But even when me and my mates used to kn*cker drink in the park as teens we at least picked up after ourselves and binned our rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I know bored youths have always been a problem, but it seems to be getting worse of late.

But even when me and my mates used to kn*cker drink in the park as teens we at least picked up after ourselves and binned our rubbish.

If you can bring it with you then you can bring it home with you.

Thats always been my opinion, but when you see people eat McDonalds in their car and then dump it out the window when they are 2m from a bin, you can only despair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Scumbag parents raise scumbag kids because there are no consequences.
    My teenagers know that I would freak out if I found out that they had littered - and they know that there would be consequences.

Its not just scumbag kids and scumbag parents. Remember this hero - he can afford a 152 SUV but won't pay 20 quid to get rid of his rubbish.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugkt8lgC-3w&ab_channel=EricKeegan

The only thing Irish people understand is "how much is this costing ME". Not the council, ME.
    Only when people think "this is costing me 50c if I leave it here" will people think.
    Either that, or we need to start having plain clothes Gardai fining people or CCTV in parks and highlighting these scumbags as they leave.
    It is despairing to think that we have to deal with this every time we've a few fine days.

But the reality is, unless it is costing people in their own pocket, people don't care.

Also - I know I said add it to the property tax above - whether a landlord pays that and gets it from tenants, is up to themselves to sort out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Also - I know I said add it to the property tax above - whether a landlord pays that and gets it from tenants, is up to themselves to sort out.

Well that is the point. You are advocating personal responsibility but if it is a landlord levy (whether that be a private LL, vulture fund or local council) then there is no benefit for the tenant not to be a pig. Unless there is recourse on the tenant in this situation then it is pointless other than as a revenue generator and the situation will not change.
    There is no political appetite for levying tenants with anything (see LPT, water charges, NPPR etc).

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Well that is the point. You are advocating personal responsibility but if it is a landlord levy (whether that be a private LL, vulture fund or local council) then there is no benefit for the tenant not to be a pig. Unless there is recourse on the tenant in this situation then it is pointless other than as a revenue generator and the situation will not change.
    There is no political appetite for levying tenants with anything (see LPT, water charges, NPPR etc).

I lived in the UK and we paid for water, council taxes, TV license etc as tenants. I get what you are saying though.

All a landlord has to do is up the rent to cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

When someone complained on social media about young people getting out of their minds drunk, making a show of themselves, abusing people and littering in the local park, they were attacked and abused themselves and told that the park would survive, but the poor young people have been through so much and we should be caring for them and not embarrassing them on social media and worrying about a bit of litter. Adults also trash the same park with doggie bags, coffee cups and face masks.

I lived in the UK and we paid for water, council taxes, TV license etc as tenants. I get what you are saying though.

Possibly but it still does not give the tenant any motivation unless the landlord adjusts the rent monthly by personally monitoring compliance (which would be impossible and illegal). Also LL cannot just up the rent anymore so that option is out.

I think the UK systems is better tbh but there is no political here will to do something similar and if they tried we would have water charge protest part 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭SteM

Not so straightforward in RPZs though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

accensi0n wrote: »
    I'd say this particular point has been noted a million times but what really gets me is the littering of cigarette butts by people that wouldn't normally litter.

It's so strange, I see senior managers in my work do it who would never throw a wrapper on the ground.

I get exactly what you are saying as I was the same as your senior manager when I smoked. Haven't smoked in 6 years but when I did I used not think twice about flicking a butt on the ground but I would never drop any other litter.

It was only after I quit smoking and saw someone else doing it that the cognitive dissonance evaporated and I realised they were one and the same thing. :o

Advertisement