Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New vanity mirror in bathroom only works when main bathroom light is on??

• 30-05-2020 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi everyone

I have a new vanity mirror in my bathroom I used twin and earth wire blue and brown in this country and ran the line from above the sink where the mirror is up the wall and across the ceiling to the main bathroom light

There were 2 brown wires together going into a connector and the main bathroom light brown wire connected to it on the opposite side of the connector. And 2 blue wires together going into a connector and the main lights blue wire connected to these on the opposite side of the connector the same way as above.

So I connected my new mirror light into the main bathroom lights side of the connector matching the colours brown to brown and blue to blue

But now I can't switch the mirror light on and off without the main bathroom light being on

What did I do wrong??

I know I probably worded this question way too much for you pros because I think this is a very simple task for you guys but is it just a matter of putting the neutral wire separate from the line coming in from the switch? And if so how do I do it?

Many thanks for any advice I might get

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

bules wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I have a new vanity mirror in my bathroom I used twin and earth wire blue and brown in this country and ran the line from above the sink where the mirror is up the wall and across the ceiling to the main bathroom light

There were 2 brown wires together going into a connector and the main bathroom light brown wire connected to it on the opposite side of the connector. And 2 blue wires together going into a connector and the main lights blue wire connected to these on the opposite side of the connector the same way as above.

So I connected my new mirror light into the main bathroom lights side of the connector matching the colours brown to brown and blue to blue

But now I can't switch the mirror light on and off without the main bathroom light being on

What did I do wrong??

I know I probably worded this question way too much for you pros because I think this is a very simple task for you guys but is it just a matter of putting the neutral wire separate from the line coming in from the switch? And if so how do I do it?

Many thanks for any advice I might get

Were there any other brown wires at the main bathroom light?
    What you have done is put the switches in series with each so the vanity light will not work unless the main switch is on(as you have discovered already).
    If there are no other brown wires at the main light then you will have to run a new wire from the unswitched live at the switch to the vanity light.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭meercat

As aido79 said,you have connected to a switched feed instead of a permanent feed

More importantly only a rec is permitted to do electrical work in bathrooms.
    This cable you installed should be rcd protected to comply with current regulations

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bules

No only the 2 brown and the 2 blue are coming down to the main light

There is a fan tho and there are 3 wires headed to that right beside the lines that are running to the light I'll test and see if one is a constant and run that to the mirror instead

Am I not allowed to do electrical in my house? I'd imagine it would void insurance if any fire resulted from it right?

Other than that I guess it's my own responsibility and my own problem if anything bad happens from the wire to light like if the mirror didnt work it would be my fault yes??

Is the rec required in other parts of the house or just bathrooms??

No only the 2 brown and the 2 blue are coming down to the main light

There is a fan tho and there are 3 wires headed to that right beside the lines that are running to the light I'll test and see if one is a constant and run that to the mirror instead

Am I not allowed to do electrical in my house? I'd imagine it would void insurance if any fire resulted from it right?

Other than that I guess it's my own responsibility and my own problem if anything bad happens from the wire to light like if the mirror didnt work it would be my fault yes??

Is the rec required in other parts of the house or just bathrooms??

What do you mean by lines?

Legally only an rec can do work in a bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Two other issues,

1, Did you connect the earth wire (at both ends obviously)?

2, What zone is the vanity mirror located? (some zones would not be suitable)

It's not just fire risks, it's a serious risk of death to you and your family from electrocution.

• Advertisement

Two other issues,

1, Did you connect the earth wire (at both ends obviously)?

2, What zone is the vanity mirror located? (some zones would not be suitable)

It's not just fire risks, it's a serious risk of death to you and your family from electrocution.

There are no earths on the mirror to connect to there are no earths in the ceiling just 2 single browns and 2 single blues,, the new wire I've used has earth but I've taped it as theres no use for it here

The zone?? Its above the sink in the corner, there is a small heater in the top right corner of the room, it's not on the lights line its separate from the light. The light line goes from the switch to the light to the fan, then off into the next rooms lights, it's not taking power from the sockets or anything like that, if that's what you mean by which zone.

But how is there a risk of electrocution if I am connecting it exactly he same way as an electrician would?? If i had the money to pay for the sparks to come and put the vanity in wouldn't he be doing exactly the same thing as i am, just clearly he would have the knowledge and experience to do it right first time round and wouldn't have to ask someone for advice on which way to connect it to the light

This is a really simple and straight forward task, for most people to do, it's not magic, I'm not rewiring a fuse board or putting in a new shower,I wouldn't go near a board,im putting in a vanity light in my own bathroom,

I think I have it sussed out now anyway I need to feed the vanity separate from the feed that's coming from the switch to the main bathroom light, I need a constant feed to the mirror so the mirror it self can switch it on and off, simple really

Thanks all

aido79 wrote: »
    What do you mean by lines?

Legally only an rec can do work in a bathroom.

When I say lines I mean the wire running from the switch to the light

So am I allowed to do it outside the bathroom

What do you mean legally?? Is it a criminal act to do a mirror in a bathroom??

The zone is based on the distance from the bath. There are various rules about what equipment can be installed depending in each zone.

There are a lot of rules developed over the years for people's safety, especially in higher risk areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭irishkopite 2011

What do you mean legally?? Is it a criminal act to do a mirror in a bathroom??
    Yes, a man in wicklow got a 6 month prison sentence for doing restricted electrical work.

There are no earths on the mirror to connect to there are no earths in the ceiling just 2 single browns and 2 single blues,, the new wire I've used has earth but I've taped it as theres no use for it here

The zone?? Its above the sink in the corner, there is a small heater in the top right corner of the room, it's not on the lights line its separate from the light. The light line goes from the switch to the light to the fan, then off into the next rooms lights, it's not taking power from the sockets or anything like that, if that's what you mean by which zone.

But how is there a risk of electrocution if I am connecting it exactly he same way as an electrician would?? If i had the money to pay for the sparks to come and put the vanity in wouldn't he be doing exactly the same thing as i am, just clearly he would have the knowledge and experience to do it right first time round and wouldn't have to ask someone for advice on which way to connect it to the light

This is a really simple and straight forward task, for most people to do, it's not magic, I'm not rewiring a fuse board or putting in a new shower,I wouldn't go near a board,im putting in a vanity light in my own bathroom,

I think I have it sussed out now anyway I need to feed the vanity separate from the feed that's coming from the switch to the main bathroom light, I need a constant feed to the mirror so the mirror it self can switch it on and off, simple really

Thanks all

This explains the zones for a bathroom

https://www.lightplan.ie/bathroom-lighting-zones-explained-i97

If it was simple you would have done it correctly on your first attempt. I find it worrying that you have a light and now a vanity with no earth in your house unless they are double insulated. Even still I would still expect an earth to be present at the main light.

• Advertisement

aido79 wrote: »
    This explains the zones for a bathroom

https://www.lightplan.ie/bathroom-lighting-zones-explained-i97

If it was simple you would have done it correctly on your first attempt. I find it worrying that you have a light and now a vanity with no earth in your house unless they are double insulated. Even still I would still expect an earth to be present at the main light.

Yes I guess that's true not rocket science but clearly less simple than an ordinary socket installation

The wire is double insulated yes, theres no earth wires on there just 2 brown going into a connector and 2 blue going into a connector and then the main bathroom light going into those no earths

I take it that's not the ordinary method for installing lights

I

Yes I guess that's true not rocket science but clearly less simple than an ordinary socket installation

The wire is double insulated yes, theres no earth wires on there just 2 brown going into a connector and 2 blue going into a connector and then the main bathroom light going into those no earths

I take it that's not the ordinary method for installing lights

Double insulated refers to the lamp not the wires. There should be a symbol which is a square within a square.

http://double-insulated.com/

Cables are not typically double insulated, they consist of a copper core, that is usually insulated with brown or blue PVC and protected by a grey sheath.
    (It may be pedantic but the outer PVC isn't considered insulation).
    https://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-matters/years/2019/75-may-2019/mythbusters-4-double-insulated-cables/

While in the current regulations there wasn't always a requirement for a protective conductor (earth) in bathroom light fittings, it's likely you are living in a house that was wired some time ago. But lamps that require an earth MUST be earthed regardless.

Yes, a man in wicklow got a 6 month prison sentence for doing restricted electrical work.

That case was commercial the guy told the customer that he was a rec and did what seems to me would be something that needs significant training and experience to achieve

Wouldn't it being commercial and him being deceptive the thing that brought him to court?

Advertisement