Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HAP

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Bazz1234 wrote: »
    I’m heading off myself.
    If you mean you'll be going abroad, put everything of sentimental value into a lockup.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Bazz1234

the_syco wrote: »
    If you mean you'll be going abroad, put everything of sentimental value into a lockup.
    Aye I will. What about the tax thing - how does that work out? Forms to fill out from Hap etc? Is it an on going thing or yearksy whatever? Have literally idea of doing my own tax

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Bazz1234 wrote: »
    Aye I will. What about the tax thing - how does that work out? Forms to fill out from Hap etc? Is it an on going thing or yearksy whatever? Have literally idea of doing my own tax
    How long are you going abroad for? Because with HAP, you'll need to fix anything that goes wrong. And with HAP, if the tenant doesn't pay the council, you will stop receiving rent without any warning and it's up to you to evict the tenant.

If you plan on going abroad for 10 or 25 years, look at the Long Term Leasing Initiative. As far as I can see, with the LTL, you get paid regardless, and aren't responsible for day-to-day maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

sk8board wrote: »
    It’s pretty simple folks - you can’t refuse HAP if it’s offered.

Therefore your outcomes are:
    tenant continues to pay the rent as before
    Tenant reports you for not accepting HaP
    HAP report you to revenue for not being tax compliant
    Tenant stops paying rent and you initiate eviction proceedings - and still end up getting reported for not accepting HAP, unless you can show you were planning to sell the house

Too many LLs were avoiding tax on a mass scale and HAP is forcing people to go legit or leave the market. The RTB and Revenue write to over 20,000 non-compliant landlords every single year. Almost all will sell up or go legit.

To answer the OPs other question, I get the >full amount< from the social welfare Dept, on the last Wednesday of the month, in arrears. The tenant pays them their portion each month separately
    According to lads on here Most landlords are angels who provide a civic service by renting out their properties for nothing and overpaying their income tax.
    Admittedly there are some good landlords out there (We were landlords at one stage ) but the majority I have met are not honourable people

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Priority seat

My `tenant` is refusing to supply any personal details like her home address or the name of the partner she is occupying with.
    She is refusing to supply HAP papers so I the 'landlord' can at least get some income. She keeps saying she will produce them but 4 months in and no sign despite repeated requests from my solicitor.
    What gets me is that as a landlord I apparently cannot refuse a HAP case if my tenant falls on bad times yet there is no obligation on them to enact a HAP application to ensure the rent gets paid.
    or do i have this wrong?

see other info on my boards.ie post topic...
    "what defines a tenant and rights of the owner"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,970 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

the_syco wrote: »
    If they honestly can't, and have never said that they don't want HAP (and thus not assumed that they're not co-operating with the HAP process), I assume HAP won't be given. They'll then have to go through the eviction process to evict the tenant.

will you get any rent in the interim?

Advertisement