Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you happy about how your career is progressing?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

rahmalec wrote: »
    Haha this is funny. My answer is God no! I certainly was up until a few months ago though.
    This coronavirus thing is literally the worst possible thing that could have happened to my industry. Not even a war would have as much effect and I wouldn't have predicted something like this to happen in a million years! (not that I'd prefer a war but in relation to my industry, the point still stands).

I worked in the arts and entertainment. As well as a performer I had a few side hustles like a small backline hire business, etc. I know this is usually seen as a precarious field but I had a very stable income, spread around a few different sources. Given that I'd be first call in the country for certain things, I would easily have handled something like the last recession (I wasn't working then). Half as many events in existence would just mean saying yes to some of the work I'd have normally said no to.

So now I'm sitting twiddling my thumbs, have no experience of the regular working world (I was always self employed), have never had to write a CV, etc. Don't even know where to start ...

I feel for you, I know a few guys who would be similar and they have had a rough few months. Can't believe I'm counting my stars at how lucky I am to still be working in my job which i've been considering leaving. Chin up buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The amount of abbreviations people are trotting out I never heard of in this thread is unreal. What in the bejaysus is a 'MN company'? One that's based in Minnesota?

I always wonder how happy I should be. I have feck all commute and I live in a place where people on the corporate ladder can only visit on their hollibobs but then I see ads up on Indeed paying double and more of what I'm making for comfier office work. Some of those jobs aren't even in Dublin which is quite amazing and makes me reconsider everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Kamu

I've been NEET for this last 12 years since I left college. In fact I've never worked and at this stage I am unemployable.

What I find interesting is that so many of you have been experiencing the neet lifestyle for the last month or so. I hope the experience has made you more humble and made you realise that working and money is not the be all and end all.

Is it a choice that you're living a NEET lifestyle or something that is outside your control?

Never heard of NEET before this post.

The amount of abbreviations people are trotting out I never heard of in this thread is unreal. What in the bejaysus is a 'MN company'? One that's based in Minnesota?

I always wonder how happy I should be. I have feck all commute and I live in a place where people on the corporate ladder can only visit on their hollibobs but then I see ads up on Indeed paying double and more of what I'm making for comfier office work. Some of those jobs aren't even in Dublin which is quite amazing and makes me reconsider everything.

NEET is a new one on me too.

People do love the acronyms through.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

Ya what’s up the acronyms? What’s an AO, or EO or whatever?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Indestructable

What is NEET??

rahmalec wrote: »
    Ya what’s up the acronyms? What’s an AO, or EO or whatever?

AO is the Administrative Officer grade of the Civil Service; the graduate position.

EO is the Executive Officer grade, technically either junior management (though HEO, the Higher Executive Officer grade may be deemed the first management grade depending on department) or more experienced/specialized than the CO, Clerical officer grade.

What is NEET??

Not in Education, Employment or training, NEET.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Stop with all the abbreviations. Trying to be hipsters

Multi nationals beat the acronyms into you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Lads what would you say to someone who currently working in retail but wants to do an apprenticeship as an electrician for example?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Don’t bother. Apprentice rates are ****e and the only way you’ll ever make good money is going out on your own once you’re competent

A combination of a useless degree and mental health issues.

Sorry to hear that, I hope everything works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

NEET is the goal but how does one get there without slaving away for years?

Fair enough. Each to their own. So do you just get the unemployment benefit or what’s the craic there? I remember tommy tiernan on his show a month or two back said he did it for 4-5 years in Galway after he left college.

I honestly couldn’t do it. I suppose it’s just what you’re brought up with. All of my wider social circle and family on both sides would never have been on it. And anyone on it would have been frowned upon. “Waster” “dosser” “layabout” would be the words used. I’m more open minded thankfully.

But how do you plan or budget for your future or anytbing? Have you many savings? As long as you’re happy in NEET

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

Not really happy. Came out of university at end of recession. Spent the last 6+ years fighting to climb up competing against dead man's shoes of cúnts who should have been promoted, retired etc.

Now I'm facing another possible recession where I'm going to be fúcked again on the rebound.

Not really happy.

AND I feel for the people far worse off than me. The poor fùcks who never really recovered from repossessions, the graduates who never got a chance to put into practice their study.

Don't think the world ever fully recovered

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Josuke

I wouldn't say I'm overly happy with my career progression but in hindsight a lot depends on what comes next.

I did a master's in economics during the recession and came out with a 1:1 and was lucky enough to get a job but only stared on 21k. The job was in financial services and to be honest it was awful, I absolutely hated it and despised going in everyday.

Fast forward a year into the job and I managed to get a PhD abroad. It was a no brainer at the time to take it...the scholarship was generous and with not paying tax I actually wasn't losing out financially and it was a guaranteed salary for 4 years. Plus it was an opportunity to leave finance for good and pursue something I was interested in.

However since finishing my PhD I have moved back to Ireland and moved from PostDoc to PostDoc. I've come to accept that the money is terrible in science and research but not having a permanent position is even worse!

If I could get a permanent position in the research institute I'm in then I'd be delighted though. Even though the money isn't great there is a great work life balance and the older I get the more important that feels.

When reading boards at times and hearing what others are on can be frustrating. However, the last recession really was a pivotal point in how my career progressed.

I'm approaching the midpoint of a PhD and thinking of getting the hell out to save my sanity. I have zero confidence that it will be worth it for my career prospects (social science discipline) and haven't liked it one bit so far. Not fully sure about what I'll do next and know I'll probably have to do a masters down the line, but hoping having a strong first will help me get something, anything in these times..

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Josuke

Hope you don't mind me asking, what degree did you do? I think there's a lot of non-vocational degrees out there that have lead people I know to similar circumstances

I just get my dole money and I try to live as frugally as possible. Well I don't live, I just exist. I don't experience depression anymore but I also don't experience joy. After about 5 years your brain starts to turn to mush.

I know many of you see me as a worthless leech but honestly, if you forced me into a job I'd probably just kill myself. That's how incompatible with modern life. Maybe I should go join a monastery or something.

Ah sure do a bit of volunteering for a few hours a week, get to know some folks and work your way out of the NEET lifestyle gently. No need to give up. When I was a young lad I had fierce trouble finding work and it did get me down so I have an idea of how you feel

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm a software developer - it could be better tbh. I stayed for 5 years with a company where I was going nowhere because they had good maternity benefits and I had two babies while I was there, but didn't really progress technically until I moved. I also moved to a city where most jobs are Java or C#/.NET and I'm mostly a Python developer, it's a bit of a pain in the arse. I enjoy what I do, but haven't generally made the smartest moves career wise. I also have the issue now that hiring a mid 30s single mum of two when they could have a 20 something single man is not hugely appealing to employers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nutjobb

Money is crap but you have to keep your eye on the prize. Apprenticeships open lots of doors, began mine at 22.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Not really happy. Came out of university at end of recession. Spent the last 6+ years fighting to climb up competing against dead man's shoes of cúnts who should have been promoted, retired etc.

Now I'm facing another possible recession where I'm going to be fúcked again on the rebound.

Not really happy.

AND I feel for the people far worse off than me. The poor fùcks who never really recovered from repossessions, the graduates who never got a chance to put into practice their study.

Don't think the world ever fully recovered

Only a small few felt the recovey of the recession and id argue they are the few who caused it and weren't really impacted by it. My payslip still, and always will show the impact the banks and economic policies of Bertie and co for the rest of my life. And im only 35. Things will get better again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I'm a software developer - it could be better tbh. I stayed for 5 years with a company where I was going nowhere because they had good maternity benefits and I had two babies while I was there, but didn't really progress technically until I moved. I also moved to a city where most jobs are Java or C#/.NET and I'm mostly a Python developer, it's a bit of a pain in the arse. I enjoy what I do, but haven't generally made the smartest moves career wise. I also have the issue now that hiring a mid 30s single mum of two when they could have a 20 something single man is not hugely appealing to employers...

Python is the no1 in-demand skill right now, in dublin anyway. And tbh, a mum of 2 seems a safer, more stable appointment for a company than a young guy fresh out of college, who will more than likely look to move on in a few years anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭antimatterx

24 and I'm a software engineer for a development house.

I'm doing this just under 2 years and making 32K. I made a bad move while getting my first job. I took the first offer I got, despite ****e wages, **** company, **** work. I took it as I had experience. I shouldn't have.

I need to move on soon and get more money. I'll be looking for 50K in a few months once COVID passes.

24 and I'm a software engineer for a development house.

I'm doing this just under 2 years and making 32K. I made a bad move while getting my first job. I took the first offer I got, despite ****e wages, **** company, **** work. I took it as I had experience. I shouldn't have.

I need to move on soon and get more money. I'll be looking for 50K in a few months once COVID passes.

It might be hard to manage a big jump in salary like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Definitely not in his industry. Can attest to this with friends who within 3 years of finishing computer science/software dev course are on close to or over 50k.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

€50k would be on the low side of things for a dev with his experience in Dublin, so it should be very easy for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭dmn22

Can I ask for some advice from you all? Currently 26, living at home and saving. Working for a large company and hate it. I want to go to Australia but not sure what to do now with the virus and restrictions on travel. Any advice appreciated.

Should be in the clear after Xmas to go? Set your sights for Oz from January onwards. They’ve been relatively unscathed economy wise. All of my friends have been working away the whole way through this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭dmn22

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Should be in the clear after Xmas to go? Set your sights for Oz from January onwards. They’ve been relatively unscathed economy wise. All of my friends have been working away the whole way through this

Dread to think what my mental state will be come December. Working in a needlessly hostile/toxic working environment.

Advertisement