Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Ongoing Issue of Feral Youths Running Amok in Dublin

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Odhinn wrote: »
    Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao tse tung had what in common?

Each was a single mother, but because of SJWs you can't call them out.

It's so obvious now! Mandatory fathers for all kids, regardless. We can close the thread now. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Your spot on. Another thing I will never understand how junkies can openly deal on our main city centre street with guards literally metres away. Here they are openly dealing class A drugs and the guards don't touch them.

In fairness, there's not much point in going after small time junkies like that, it's not in their interest. These are sick people and are gonna get heroin no matter what. They must have some kind of strategy to just turn a blind eye to a certain extent while trying to keep some kind of relative peace.

Ye can talk about courts and whatever but the simple fact is we are not increasing our prison spaces and that's the main issue here.

We even closed our youth prison recently and closed some of the main prisons.

Until people make crime an election issue we wont see this change as sentences cannot be carried out in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cal naughton

Yeah there are bike gangs all over North Dublin at the moment, how did that happen

They didn't get them on the bike to work scheme anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭SoSolidFool

In fairness, there's not much point in going after small time junkies like that, it's not in their interest. These are sick people and are gonna get heroin no matter what. They must have some kind of strategy to just turn a blind eye to a certain extent while trying to keep some kind of relative peace.

Yet a lad with a bit of coke on a Saturday night is being arrested and charged?

Open dealing of a class A drug on our city centre streets should be clamped down on. How can anyone respect the Guards when they see even skinny junkies don't respect them. They literally sell in front of them.

They only want the soft targets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

It would take something big to happen for things to change. The murder of KMW sparked massive furore which dissappeared under the general election and pandemic.

It will take a big event such as a Garda being seriously injured to generate enough public outcry for the state to get a grip on this.

Right now it's not politically sexy so to speak.

And the Judicial system and legal profession play huge parts in this decline. Plenty of scum in them ranks.

They didn't get them on the bike to work scheme anyway!!

They got the bikes from the bike to work scheme but the bikes were previously owned...

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Nothing will change until a proper centre right party is formed which is tough on crime. But the problem then is the Irish people, many of them conditioned like children to be "looked after" by some nanny State, will only vote for the party offering them the most goodies. The general media consensus after the last election is that Irish people wanted a bigger State. That just means more welfare for exactly the people we're talking about in this thread. Paid for by one of the highest marginal tax rates in the world. It never ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

I

Now we have an incoming crack epidemic that is going to engulf the cities.

I can't be bothered to google it but you will find articles predicting an incoming Dublin crack and crystal meth epidemic on the likes of the Independent from the year 2000. Yet to this day meth is almost unheard of and crack is

a- small scale

b- seems largely restricted to existing heroin addicts, few of whom are younger than their late 30's any more.

Young lads necking benzos and xanax like sweets with drink on top seems to be more prevalent. Not uncommon to see teens and young adults around town who physically don't look like a junkie but have the same long winded drawl as one.

Your spot on. Another thing I will never understand how junkies can openly deal on our main city centre street with guards literally metres away. Here they are openly dealing class A drugs and the guards don't touch them.

LOL.

Is Talbot St our main street? As it's perfectly possible to walk down O'Connel St and not see a junkie, let alone an open air drug market.

• Advertisement

LOL.

Is Talbot St our main street? As it's perfectly possible to walk down O'Connel St and not see a junkie, let alone an open air drug market.

You're obviously not there enough so. I always see dealing at the bottom of O'Connell Street, at the Boardwalk, the lane beside the tourist office its full of people dealing.

I can't be bothered to google it but you will find articles predicting an incoming Dublin crack and crystal meth epidemic on the likes of the Independent from the year 2000. Yet to this day meth is almost unheard of and crack is

a- small scale

b- seems largely restricted to existing heroin addicts, few of whom are younger than their late 30's any more.

Young lads necking benzos and xanax like sweets with drink on top seems to be more prevalent. Not uncommon to see teens and young adults around town who physically don't look like a junkie but have the same long winded drawl as one.

Crack is taking off, I see it myself. A few years back it was small but currently its everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Nothing will change until a proper centre right party is formed which is tough on crime. But the problem then is the Irish people, many of them conditioned like children to be "looked after" by some nanny State, will only vote for the party offering them the most goodies. The general media consensus after the last election is that Irish people wanted a bigger State. That just means more welfare for exactly the people we're talking about in this thread. Paid for by one of the highest marginal tax rates in the world. It never ends.
    Oh it will Fred.
    It will end in one of two ways:
    1. When the numbers of those living the welfare lifestyle supersedes the number of workers who are paying into the system to support those living off the worker/State, which leads to number 2.
    2. Ireland will not be able to pay the interest on the hundreds of billions we now owe, plus the 30 odd billion that Covid will cost us this year alone, so the IMF or the big European players will demand changes to our welfare system to align realistically with other European countries.
    The sociological and financial cost to continue the existing welfare state in Ireland is unsustainable. It will break ...... eventually.

You're obviously not there enough so. I always see dealing at the bottom of O'Connell Street, at the Boardwalk, the lane beside the tourist office its full of people dealing.

The Boardwalk.

Laneways.

Neither of these places are O'Connell St.

Your post implied open air drug dealing a few metres from where Gardai are constantly positioned outside the GPO.

It's hyperbolic nonsense.

The Boardwalk.

Laneways.

Neither of these places are O'Connell St.

Your post implied open air drug dealing a few metres from where Gardai are constantly positioned outside the GPO.

It's hyperbolic nonsense.

I also said the bottom of O'Connell Street. That is where I mostly see it but I see it on all parts of O'Connell Street. They'll walk towards their dealer and buy it at whatever point of O'Connell street they meet on. If you haven't seen it your blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Kivaro wrote: »
    Oh it will Fred.
    It will end in one of two ways:
    1. When the numbers of those living the welfare lifestyle supersedes the number of workers who are paying into the system to support those living off the worker/State, which leads to number 2.
    2. Ireland will not be able to pay the interest on the hundreds of billions we now owe, plus the 30 odd billion that Covid will cost us this year alone, so the IMF or the big European players will demand changes to our welfare system to align realistically with other European countries.
    The sociological and financial cost to continue the existing welfare state in Ireland is unsustainable. It will break ...... eventually.

I wish i had your optimism. The welfare budget and the public sector pay will be protected, while this will be paid for by increased taxes, reducing the capital budget to zero (so no new trains, roads, hospitals etc)., and borrowing as much as we can. The welfare class and the public sector workers are untouchable in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I wish i had your optimism. The welfare budget and the public sector pay will be protected, while this will be paid for by increased taxes, reducing the capital budget to zero (so no new trains, roads, hospitals etc)., and borrowing as much as we can. The welfare class and the public sector workers are untouchable in this country.

Did you ever think about going on the scratch or joining the public sector? It sounds amazing.

LOL.

I live close to O'Connell Street and walked through there most days in non pandemic times. Its an utter ****hole. If you looked you would see plenty of them.

A national embarrassment. Just before the lockdown there was a lad stabbed beside the 123 bust stop at evening rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I also said the bottom of O'Connell Street. That is where I mostly see it but I see it on all parts of O'Connell Street. They'll walk towards their dealer and buy it at whatever point of O'Connell street they meet on. If you haven't seen it your blind.

Stand within a half mile either side of the Liffey in the city centre, throw and stone and you'll hit a dealer.
    The welfare class and the public sector workers are untouchable in this country.

Half of that is absolutely true.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I think that while we will always have to provide welfare for obvious reasons it should be reduced and after a period of one year without work reduced further. I think legal aid should be subtracted from welfare payments.

I mean they have free houses, free schools, more or less free healthcare so its ridiculous that we are paying them so much and on top of that giving them free legal aid when they go onto commit crimes. Everyone deserves legal representation so why doesn't the state subtract that representation from their welfare payments over the course of months?

All of these kids running around in welfare areas have top of the range clothes, phones. They can go out clubbing on the weekends and holiday abroad up to three times a year. The amount of high spec cars in our deprived areas is crazy.

I wouldn't even mind if they just kept to themselves but instead they go around abusing our gardai telling them they pay their wages (LOL), they go into ACTUAL hardworking areas like Portmarnock where people actually worked hard to get a house there and threaten and attack the residents. They shout and piss and fight all over town making the boardwalk an eye sore and intimidating tourists.

I am just at the end of my tether with this ****. While us working people are paying 2,000 for a one bed near our work these ****ing vermin are living rent free in prime city centre locations without having the need to even go to work. Why the **** aren't they tossed out to the commuter areas if they want a free house?

They just breed and breed generations of state spongers who are progressively getting more entitled and worse. What do they do to the actual working people? Attack, rob, intimidate, sue.

I think the people of Ireland are fed up with the soft glove approach. They have it too good.

Soft touch liberalism has failed miserably this past thirty years so the obvious solution is more soft touch liberalism

More incentives for single mothers, travellers etc

• Advertisement

This is a nationwide problem which has been getting worse and worse for the past 20 years.

The justice system is a huge part of it as are the do-gooders that oppose any form of responsibility being forced upon thugs and their thug families.

Almost every social problem in this country is the fault of liberals and the policies they demanded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

iamstop wrote: »
    It's so obvious now! Mandatory fathers for all kids, regardless. We can close the thread now. Cheers.

In the states the majority of young offenders do come from Fatherless homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I remember well during the 90's how dealers were vilified and forced out, this was one strand of the community action against them,

The woman, leading that protest,
    her son was and still is a Drug dealer,
    Her husband is also related to drug dealers who he assosiates with every day,
    I won't say her name but the irony of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

ChikiChiki wrote:
    I live close to O'Connell Street and walked through there most days in non pandemic times. Its an utter ****hole. If you looked you would see plenty of them.

ChikiChiki wrote:
    A national embarrassment. Just before the lockdown there was a lad stabbed beside the 123 bust stop at evening rush hour.

The person you are writing to has oversized blinkers on. All is, don't worry, don't fret or complain. You ate living in utopia

no.8 wrote: »
    The person you are writing to has oversized blinkers on. All is, don't worry, don't fret or complain. You ate living in utopia

I love this city and its full of great people, but **** me it breaks my heart that there are so many societal issues. Fair enough it's not East Timor but Dublin is not reaching its potential. Law and order is solvable, the political will just needs to be there to do it.

Ignoring them does not help anything.

first there needs to emerge a vaguely conservative media outlet which gains a foothold , the left completely and utterly dominate and dictate public discourse and media narratives on every topic - issue in this country

its irrelevant if centrist party ministers hold a position , its liberals who influence and effectively write policy

I'd a fella in the middle of the afternoon walk up to me and mutter "zimmos?" as I walked past.

Once.

About 4 years ago.

Not repeated in probably 100- 150 more Saturday afternoon strolls on O'Connell St since.

Can't be that I look too posh for zimmos as I'm often asked if I'm interested while walking up from where I park the car.
    ChikiChiki wrote: »

You'd want to try Sydney in Australia. You'd see a kangaroo hop down George St in the CBD (main thoroughfare) more often than you'd see a policeman walking around. Fast food joints don't have security guards so seeing violent drunks threatening sat down customers in the middle of the lunch hour and junkies KO'd in the toilet cubicles is a regular thing that locals don't even seem to bat an eyelid to, unlike Dublin this type of thing doesn't make the local media or town council agendas. Mentally ill people on crystal meth screaming, throwing bottles, ripping their clothes off. You just wouldn't see it anywhere in the tourist end of Dublin, it wouldn't be tolerated.

For a better perspective- recall all the times you've been in a McDonalds/ BK/ Supermacs in town in the middle of the day and the security is refusing admission to/ throwing out some scrote.

Imagine you live in a city that doesn't have security guards at these places, that just allows them in to beg off and threaten diners, and pass out from drugs in the toilets.

Then tell me Dublin is some sort of worldwide embarassment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

A relative of mine grew up in Shannon town in the 80's and 90's

I'll tell you one thing about Shannon, 50% of their population was from Belfast.
    They moved down during the late 70's and 80's, and you can guess where they were coming from.

Any scumbags who arrived in the town looking for trouble or dealing drug's were dealt with, and never crossed the Bunratty river on the south side or River Fergus on the Ennis side to come to Shannon to cause trouble.

It was a peaceful town, used to spend a lot of time there.
    Anytime there was a massacre in the north or a comrade was shot, there would be black flags all over the town.

We all got along.
    If any scumbags came from nearby cities or towns trying to hold any sway in Shannon, the boy's would arrive on the scene and end of story.

These guy's who watched out for the locals and each other weren't scobes wearing tracksuits, sovereign ring's, or had any tribal identity.
    They were educated and intelligent, the cream of the crop...

They were the real deal, worked as taxi driver's, factory workers, business men, engineers, and political.

Sadly for the town all these gentlemen have died off got sick disabled or have gotten old and settled down...

Great times

Crack is taking off, I see it myself. A few years back it was small but currently its everywhere.

Where are all these gaunt, unkempt teenagers?

Where is the uptick in muggings, car break ins etc that accompanied the arrival of heroin in the early 80's and its second wave of popularity in the mid to late 90s?

From what I recall off the top of my head the heroin addicted population reached 5000 in the mid 80s, and more than doubled in the mid to late 90s as abuse increased in the north and west of the city.

Where are the 5000 teenage crackheads? From what I can see they are more afflicted by addictions to skunk weed and prescription street drugs.

Are you the "journalist" Jim Cusack by any chance? Because the posts are as hyperbolic as the nonsene he posts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Sterilisation would do wonders for the “parents” here, along with post natal abortions of any scum involved in anti social activity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement