Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Phoenix park

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Phil.x wrote: »
    Maybe lock all the fcuking gates and throw away the keys ffs.

Seems like a touch of an over reaction just because you can't drive through it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

caff wrote: »
    Would it be feasible at all to have a phoenix park station from the phoenix park tunnel? Would it be too complex to develop a station there?

Could you justify the expense considering there is Heuston around the corner with both Rail and Luas stop, and a massive car park for that matter, and a bus terminus.

Thus far the re-introduction of that line has caused havoc on the maynooth line schedule. Constant delays. Must have added 10 mins to every other train journey. Not entirely sure why that is.

But I would wonder at the effect of a new station at the zoo etc..

Then again the expense. It might be 2 deer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Maybe lock all the fcuking gates and throw away the keys ffs.

Or just this thread.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

beauf wrote: »
    Could you justify the expense considering there is Heuston around the corner with both Rail and Luas stop, and a massive car park for that matter, and a bus terminus.

Thus far the re-introduction of that line has caused havoc on the maynooth line schedule. Constant delays. Must have added 10 mins to every other train journey. Not entirely sure why that is.

But I would wonder at the effect of a new station at the zoo etc..

Then again the expense. It might be 2 deer.

Adding a station would allow you to close one of the car parks, as now more people from all over the country could get a train directly there. As some people have said/implied previously in this thread, there are people out there who won't go to the park unless they can park directly inside the park.

The problems with the Maynooth line should be sorted once the Dart Expansion and Metrolink are built, as they'll be upgrading the signalling and the junction at Whitworth.

Considering they are thinking of moving the dockland station 500m or so maybe you are right. I think it's a bit of a stretch with our history of training decades to deliver flawed infrastructure projects..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It is already very popular all day all year round. I’d argue if you currently banned cars through it / to it, it would be noticeably less popular.

I was referring to the popularity of the bus service

Most people going to the park drive to it. A lot on their way to and from somewhere. Like on the way home from work.

They closed it before and it was noticeable quieter.

False. Currently nobody drives there and it's thronged with people.

How about we ban everything except a solitary deer.

Much cheaper.

Why are you hysterical?

cgcsb wrote: »
    False. Currently nobody drives there and it's thronged with people.

I was there for an hour earlier and it was very quiet. It was busy earlier in the day apparently.

My earlier comment was a referring to a long time ago. We are in a lockdown now. But it makes perfect sense to ignore that context obviously.

Just close it for 6 months as trial. No reason not to.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Why are you hysterical?

Someone else wants to ban all cars regardless of need, wheelchair etc., And all cyclists. I'm just saying it would save a lot money just to have one deer... And no I've never heard of hyperbole.

• Advertisement

I was there for an hour earlier and it was very quiet. It was busy earlier in the day apparently.

My earlier comment was a referring to a long time ago. We are in a lockdown now. But it makes perfect sense to ignore that context obviously.

Just close it for 6 months as trial. No reason not to.
    Since lockdown I've cycled 1 loop of the park 6 days of every week either at lunch time or at the 5.30 in the evening. I can tell you it's heaving with people as much as before but without the cars.

I'm not disputing that. I simply said it was quiet when we were there. Might be blip for an hour.

https://ibb.co/HHsqRys
    https://ibb.co/0Mp0qBG

Like I said I heard it was swamped earlier.

I've been in the park previously say bloom was on, or a Sunday at the height of summer, when I can't use the cycle lane, and have been forced to walk or go on the road/grass.
    I assume if the OPW are bring forced to make changes it must have been like that earlier in the day, and other days. They have closed the cycle lanes on busy days in the past.

Someone else wants to ban all cars regardless of need, wheelchair etc., And all cyclists. I'm just saying it would save a lot money just to have one deer... And no I've never heard of hyperbole.

Who cares what one person wants? It's not the proposal , you are well aware of the proposal

They have closed the cycle lanes on busy days in the past.

And here in one message is everything that's wrong with the OPW's attitude to the park

The OPW often close roads, foot paths and cycles lanes (the few lanes that there are) for events including cycling events.

OPW idea has always been its a park, (and a nature park) not a transport link (even though it is).
    So they are very enthusiastic about interrupting any commuting activity, or human activity.

When it is that busy its not physically possible to cycle through the middle of it.

So its not remarkable that the OPW are separating people and cyclists during the lock down.
    If it was at its busiest, you wouldn't be able to cycle through it anyway. You have to go around it.

But you all knew that....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i used to hear an oft-reported theory that the OPW would always close the main avenue for one day a year, regardless of whether they had cause to or not, to prevent it becoming established as a right of way. probably nonsense, i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,890 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Common enough on weekends for them to put bollards down near the middle roundabout. Just shifts the through traffic on to the side roads though.

Stark wrote: »
    Common enough on weekends for them to put bollards down near the middle roundabout. Just shifts the through traffic on to the side roads though.

They've been closing a section of the Ave for years, during the summer weekends.

And as you say it pushes the traffic left and right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The OPW often close roads, foot paths and cycles lanes (the few lanes that there are) for events including cycling events.
    If it was at its busiest, you wouldn't be able to cycle through it anyway. You have to go around it.

But you all knew that....

Hasn't been closed in years for cycling events, OPW aren't so keen on them anymore.

And you've never not been able to cycle through it as normal when it's busy apart from when they've had gigs at the Ashtown end, or the pope came to a disappointing crowd for him.

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    Hasn't been closed in years for cycling events, OPW aren't so keen on them anymore.

And you've never not been able to cycle through it as normal when it's busy apart from when they've had gigs at the Ashtown end, or the pope came to a disappointing crowd for him.

Pedantic hat, thats not never. ;) but year its usually big events.

Its not almost as bad on very busy summer evenings. Not that they close them, but its so slow that its not worth it. Which is why people complain about the on cycle lanes.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/cyclist-killed-phoenix-park/
    As a result, the Garda had warned the OPW to change the lay-out by swapping the cycling lane and path.

Do they not still close the Kyber road for the Duathlons, they were called summer series or something.

Info here

http://phoenixpark.ie/chesterfield-avenue-partial-closure-at-weekends-during-2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

They used to close the Kyber for the duathlons alright, at the same time they wouldn't grant a licence to cycling only events. But I didn't think they do that anymore, the series, or similar, hasn't been on in the park in a couple of years either I thought.

Maybe there was a break for a few years and came back last year? Anyway, it had minimal affects on usage of the park for others when it was on, I used to attend another sports event just beside the Kyber when the duathlon was on.

They used to get quite arsey about any commercial company using the park to run events, even small things like exercise boot camps.

I was marshalled going to Marys, because of races, running or cycling summer 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Drove down and parked up at the cross, lots of people doing the same, garda at the gate asked purpose of travel, I said walking...."go ahead enjoy"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Drove down and parked up at the cross, lots of people doing the same, garda at the gate asked purpose of travel, I said walking...."go ahead enjoy"

Do you want a medal?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,890 ✭✭✭✭Stark

donvito99 wrote: »
    Do you want a medal?

That was totally uncalled for. I found what he said useful to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

That was totally uncalled for. I found what he said useful to know.

Useful to know that by following guidelines you won't have trouble from the Guards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭trellheim

Unfortunately this evening lots of people using Chesterfield as a through road for cars. No parking on the Avenue but papal cross car park open.

Advertisement