Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Venus during the day

Options
  • 09-05-2020 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I recently took a picture of the sky during daytime because there was an interesting cloud pattern. When flicking through the pictures I spotted a tiny dot and when I zoom in it looks like a planet. It seems to small to be the moon so i presume it is venus.

Is venus viable this time of year at daytime? I will post an image below.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Here is one of the images.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It is visible in the western sky in the evenings at present. visible long before the stars become visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

ufo? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Yes,it can be seen in the day sometimes if you know exactly where to look.I saw it a few years ago in the southern sky and it took me a while(googling) to figure out what it was, but I'v never seen it since and I'v tried.I think conditions need to be right but I'v no idea what those conditions are:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

upupup wrote: »
    Yes,it can be seen in the day sometimes if you know exactly where to look.I saw it a few years ago in the southern sky and it took me a while(googling) to figure out what it was, but I'v never seen it since and I'v tried.I think conditions need to be right but I'v no idea what those conditions are:confused:

Does it look like its venus in the picture. It seems to small to be the moon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

If you know the day,time and direction you were facing it's easy to check if Venus was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Does it look like its venus in the picture. It seems to small to be the moon.

here is a pic of venus in daylight,bottom left
    venus-daylight-moon-12-3-2018-Brett-Joseph-San-Anselmo-CA-e1543880914112.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You can find Venus or Jupiter during the day if you know where to look. Best viewing location is beside a building/at a street corner where you can stand in the shade of the sun but have a good view of the patch of sky where the planet is located. A compass is useful so you can be scanning the exact part of the sky and not be wasting your time scanning left and right. You need to be looking at the exact spot or you won't find it. And when you do spot it, you'll lose it the instant you look away.

Venus is now heading for an encounter with the sun (inferior conjunction) on June 3rd so it's angular distance from the Sun is rapidly diminishing but it's 30 degrees from the Sun today - don't leave it too late!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I have seen both Venus and Jupiter during the day, and with a computer-controlled telescope I have also been able to see Saturn long before sunset. It's a matter of being able to get exactly the right place to look, with a clear non-hazy atmosphere, and in a decent shadow.

For naked eye Venus visibility it can help to have the spot being looked at near some distant tree branches, as having a reference point helps the eyes to focus at infinity and not to otherwise wander a bit on the blank sky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

That's Lens Flare OP. You can replicate it by taking more images of the sky with the Sun in frame.

Advertisement