Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock inside a rock - how does it happen?

• 20-04-2020 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

Hi all, i'm a fairly well read and well educated man but this one has me beaten - found this out in the back yard and I can't figure out how it came to be. It looks like some kind of 'regular' rock wrapped inside a an iron containing rock.

Any geology experts can help me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Deagol wrote: »
    Hi all, i'm a fairly well read and well educated man but this one has me beaten - found this out in the back yard and I can't figure out how it came to be. It looks like some kind of 'regular' rock wrapped inside a an iron containing rock.

Any geology experts can help me?

My 2 cents. Under heat the minerals rose to the outside and formed a crust. So it just appears to be a rock inside a rock.

Or could have actually been a rock that got covered in sediment of a different type and over time worn pressure formed a rock on outside.

There are probably a number of processes that can do this.

Advertisement