Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to get Dumbells Currently?

• 15-04-2020 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Morning All,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, feel free to move to right section.

Does anyone know where it is possible to get dumbells at this time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Squiggle

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭mickey15ie

OmegaGene wrote: »
    37.5kg seem to be the lightest in stock sadly

Jaysus that would kill me

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

37.5kg seem to be the lightest in stock sadly

You’re right, i should probably order a couple of plates to add to them for the lateral raises....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Anyone know where you can get Powerblocks? Seems to be tough to get anywhere in Ireland and ebay are charging about €300 delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Anyone know where you can get Powerblocks? Seems to be tough to get anywhere in Ireland and ebay are charging about €300 delivery.

Mate of mine in Canada was being offered over $1000 for his powerblocks and he was saying delivery is crazy alright

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Warren Dumbell is in jail for the last 9 years, and he'll be there for a long time yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Having to make do with the kettlebells I have.

I'm never comfortable doing bicep curls with kettle bells, they're always twisting in my hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭De Danann

I'm never comfortable doing bicep curls with kettle bells, they're always twisting in my hands.

I was just going to say to OP - I know they are looking for dumbbells so this might not be relevant

If you have a Mr Price near you, they have recently started stocking kettlebells for reasonable prices. I saw 4kg up to 12kg ones on the shelves.

I know kettlebells can be pretty awkward/uncomfortable but they might do you until the online stores manage to restock. I couldn't find dumbells anywhere so got a range of kettlebells and have been trying to make do.

Although I do agree with el Fenomeno, they twist about a bit :/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Do curls with a resistance band.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

McSports.ie still have some in stock. Bear in mind their delivery is very slow atm. I ordered something recently and it took 2-3 weeks to arrive (and it was in stock)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    10.kg is way too light. Id get a better workout going for a piss

There are plenty of movements/exercises you could do in which 10 kg is plenty...

I could get a good workout with 2x20kg dumbbells for sure but 10.5kg is def too light

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

I could get a good workout with 2x20kg dumbbells for sure but 10.5kg is def too light

Buy two of the Lidl sets and combine the plates and you'll have a 19kg set of dumb bells

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Buy 4 sets and add to two, these will fly out the doors

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Buy two of the Lidl sets and combine the plates and you'll have a 19kg set of dumb bells

I was thinking of doing this but will the plates all fit on 1 dumbbell, is there enough space?

Put the 10.5 kg in a backpack and then do weighted pull-ups, push-ups, and dips, and let us know if it's too light for a workout ;)

I was thinking of doing this but will the plates all fit on 1 dumbbell, is there enough space?

Maybe not all but a decent weight

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

If you’re desperately stuck...

Cut a 2L bottle in half, pour in some sand/cement/water and leave a stick vertically sticking out of it. Turn upsidedown the next day, repeat and voila - dumbell!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

After many days of searching i managed to purchase a 20kg dumbbell set from elverys, they were completely sold out until yesterday.

not a bad price either at 89.95

https://www.elverys.ie/elverys/en/Elverys/Fitness/Home-Gym-Equipment/Weights/York-Cast-Iron-Dumbbell-Set--20kg,-Black/p/000000000001110662?gclid=CjwKCAjwnIr1BRAWEiwA6GpwNaqBRfer5GOJk7f09MO5w-1NUNi1IUTuw1oIB5ghCGUUE4FGQkct4RoC57gQAvD_BwE

• Advertisement

dave 27 wrote: »
    After many days of searching i managed to purchase a 20kg dumbbell set from elverys, they were completely sold out until yesterday.

https://www.elverys.ie/elverys/en/Elverys/Fitness/Home-Gym-Equipment/Weights/York-Cast-Iron-Dumbbell-Set--20kg,-Black/p/000000000001110662?gclid=CjwKCAjwnIr1BRAWEiwA6GpwNaqBRfer5GOJk7f09MO5w-1NUNi1IUTuw1oIB5ghCGUUE4FGQkct4RoC57gQAvD_BwE

Its twice the price of the Aldi set no? 20kg divided into two dumbells?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,015 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Its twice the price of the Aldi set no? 20kg divided into two dumbells?

Yup. 12 plates, 20kg, 80e
    Aldi/Lidl is 6 plates, 10kg, 20e

Although its a much better dumbell. Spinlock vrs a dodgy cliplock.
    Neither option is great. Biggest plate is 2-2.5kg. That means lots of dicking about with time 1kg and .5kg plates.

I'd probably be more incline to look for two decent kettlebells

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I wonder if elverys genuinely were selling that set for €110, its illegal to put fake discounts up like that if they were not on sale for a specified time.

People should ask friends & relatives if they have any old weights if they are really stuck. I know loads of people who got weights when they were younger. They might be crappy vinyl ones but better than nothing. On amazon & ebay people are charging more for poxy bags you fill with water and put on dummbells, more than the price those elverys cast iron ones would usually be on amazon.

There may be stuff around the house too, I can do pullups on my stairs hanging onto the landing. I can put a bar/pole across the hole in my attick and hang gymnastic rings off it, you could get 2 towels and do pullups.

Or just 1
    _main_towelpulup_0.jpg?w=1200&h=1200&crop=1

rings-loft.jpeg

Mellor wrote: »
    Yup. 12 plates, 20kg, 80e
    Aldi/Lidl is 6 plates, 10kg, 20e

Although its a much better dumbell. Spinlock vrs a dodgy cliplock.
    Neither option is great. Biggest plate is 2-2.5kg. That means lots of dicking about with time 1kg and .5kg plates.

I'd probably be more incline to look for two decent kettlebells

Instead of changing the weights used per exercise /body part you could vary the reps per set and time rested in between sets. For example 20kg maybe too light for chest and back exercises will in that case do 12-15 reps and just rest 45-60 seconds between sets. They may be a bit heavy for bicep work will then do just 4-6 rep sets and rest 2-3 minutes in between sets

• Registered Users Posts: 39,015 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Instead of changing the weights used per exercise /body part you could vary the reps per set and time rested in between sets. For example 20kg maybe too light for chest and back exercises will in that case do 12-15 reps and just rest 45-60 seconds between sets. They may be a bit heavy for bicep work will then do just 4-6 rep sets and rest 2-3 minutes in between sets
    For chest it's barely a warm up, you'd be doing 100 reps to feel it.
    Even curls would need 20+ reps. Not sure why you think 4-6

You could do 5 sets of 100 reps at 20 kg (2x10 kg DB) though :)

20kg each hand a warm up.really?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

20kg each hand a warm up.really?
    Not sure if you are talking about the lidl ones, but if you have 2 sets up have 2 sets of these

2 x 1Kg

2 x 1.25Kg

2 x 2Kg

1 x 1.95Kg (the dumbbell)

So its 8.5kg of plates with each. But you will not fit all the plates from both sets on 1 dumbbell.

Dunno if you could buy a single extra long 1" dumbbell handle with spinlocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

dave 27 wrote: »

You know it’s 20kg combined weight right ?

Think that there is a lot of deliberate misleading advertising which is catching people out. The Elvery ones are advertised as

YORK CAST IRON DUMBBELL SET -20KG, BLACK
    €89.95 reduced from €110

Now I would pay €90 for two 20kg dumbbells as I could get a decent workout.
    However on closer examination it seems that each dumbbell only has 8.5kg of weights. Not enough for most men to do much at all and over four times the price of the Lidl ones for less weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

So the handles are 1.5kg each?

Yes. So if you add the weight of the handle to the weights you have a 10kg dumbbell. I had actually nearly ordered these a few days ago on the mistaken belief that they were 20kg dumbbells. I am sure lots of people making the same mistake and not realising it until they are delivered.

Advertisement