Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Identify insect

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The legs on this one are all the same length, the head has a "neck"...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Something has been biting me on the ankles this last few mornings in the garden. Comes up just like a mosquito bite

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

New Home wrote: »
    The legs on this one are all the same length, the head has a "neck"...

I think a side on view would be alot clear, the aerial view isn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Something has been biting me on the ankles this last few mornings in the garden. Comes up just like a mosquito bite

From May to September we are plagued by harvest mites here, kids get covered in bites.
    Of course being outside it could be any number of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭caddy16

Now, even considering that they might be bent... I wonder, is it in that stance because it was disturbed? I'd say we'd really need a closer, less fuzzy picture (at least in order to do a proper reverse image search). I know that's easier said than done, OP! Can I ask, was that taken in Ireland or abroad?

Ireland, in the west. Will try again when I capture my next fella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Any ideas what this moth is . Sitting for ages on the ground .

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Peacock moth (Saturnia Pavonia), I'd guess. A stunner! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Looks like a female Emperor Moth (Saturnia Pavonia).

Peacock moths (Saturnia Pyri) are a good bigger, have similar but different markings, and as far as I know very rare in Ireland.

Thanks Alun. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Oakland

We have this same insect biting us the last week. My 3yr old is getting hit the worst....around 100 bites all over. I caught a few of them that had landed on his neck. They had wings and we're easy to pick off him. The bites didn't appear until the next day, they resemble mosquito bites. We have never had this problem before 😢 living here for 6yrs now.
    Did you find any solution to stop them @caddy16?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭caddy16

Oakland wrote: »
    We have this same insect biting us the last week. My 3yr old is getting hit the worst....around 100 bites all over. I caught a few of them that had landed on his neck. They had wings and we're easy to pick off him. The bites didn't appear until the next day, they resemble mosquito bites. We have never had this problem before �� living here for 6yrs now.
    Did you find any solution to stop them @caddy16?
    We thought we had. Literally washed everything in the house and got insect bombs online. The bites disappeared up until yesterday but we've had a couple since. Nowehere near like the number of bites we had back when it started (similar to yourself).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what be this...a hoverfly of some sort?

fly.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Possibly Syrphus ribesii.....

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

Anyone know what this insect is. There are dozens of them on some of the plants in the garden these days.

Sorry op, but with the way Boards has been over the last couple of days, attachments are almost impossible to see.

can't see it either, try using an image hosting site

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

OP (original OP with the biting insect) try to capture one in this app, Ive been playing with it all day, its actually really good, borderline unbelievable at times:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.inaturalist.android&hl=en_IE

nicol wrote: »
    Anyone know what this insect is. There are dozens of them on some of the plants in the garden these days.

511638.jpg511638.jpg

Hoverfly again.

BTW, if you only embed the bit up to and excluding the "&", then the image posts ok. e.g., https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=511638&d=1588461948 becomes https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=511638

any idea what butterfly this is....

butterfly.jpg

• Advertisement

Google image says it's a speckled wood butterfly.

http://www.irishbutterflies.com/speckled_wood_butterfly_of_ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

You know that Iseek app that was recommended a while ago, I held it up to my laptop screen and also got speckled wood butterfly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Can anyone tell me what kind of spider this is?

(Apologies for the dodgey picture)

IMG20200515125608.jpg

Can anyone tell me what kind of spider this is?

(Apologies for the dodgey picture)

IMG20200515125608.jpg

It's very out of focus, Seph... The only thing I can suggest is... Incy Wincy? :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

It's very out of focus, Seph... The only thing I can suggest is... Incy Wincy? :p

It was white if that's any good to ya :o:D.

Well, the other thing I can tell you for sure is that if it's a spider it's most definitely not an insect. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's difficult to make out, but if it's white it could well be a crab spider. They have very large bulbous abdomens so are pretty easy to spot, and hold out their front legs a bit like a crab does.

Any ideas ?

IMG20200517123039.jpg

IMG20200517123103.jpg

Incy Wincy's cousin, obviously. :D

It's quite difficult to see, Seph, you'd really need to give us a close up. :)

EDIT: Perhaps a Zebra spider? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_spider

• Advertisement

Incy Wincy's cousin, obviously. :D

It's quite difficult to see, Seph, you'd really need to give us a close up. :)

Hardy har har har homeo :-P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement