Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Acey10 wrote: »
    north county dublin

email said

"As of the 29th June the Government are allowing physical exercise and sporting activity to take place behind closed doors."

I think they got their dates mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭gp1990

north county dublin

email said

"As of the 29th June the Government are allowing physical exercise and sporting activity to take place behind closed doors."

No spectators in the gym?

No way I'm coming back for that! :pac: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

north county dublin

email said

Phase 3, regarding sports:

"Sporting activities and events can resume “behind closed doors”, where arrangements are in place to enable participants to maintain social distancing."

They're shoe-horning themselves into that but gyms are specifically referenced as being included in phase 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭VonLuck

"Sporting activities and events can resume “behind closed doors”, where arrangements are in place to enable participants to maintain social distancing."

They're shoe-horning themselves into that but gyms are specifically referenced as being included in phase 5.

If it's a cross-fit gym they may be trying to classify themselves as being a "sporting activity".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

You could, for small gyms, frame yourself as a small "powerlifting club\ team" and classify every time you go as a training session for team members

• Advertisement

brianblaze wrote: »
    You could, for small gyms, frame yourself as a small "powerlifting club\ team" and classify every time you go as a training session for team members

Possibly. But the poster mentioned their gym so if it is a gym, then they're chancing their arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

yes it's a gym. time will tell how they work it. from what I can gather you have a limited amount of time and have to book slots, which is not ideal if you only have a certain time in the day you can go and cant get a slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

I don't see why small studios could not open. The type where a trainer works with 1 person only.

Ensure everything is cleaned appropriately after each session, no hanging around in and out job, maintain 2 metres, no changing facilities, windows open

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Gyms with open memberships can’t operate under proposed conditions. You can’t charge memberships and then give someone an allotted time to train.
    The only way gyms can operates is for classes or 1:1/small group training

Gael23 wrote: »
    Gyms with open memberships can’t operate under proposed conditions. You can’t charge memberships and then give someone an allotted time to train.

Classes/small groups at an allotted time? Is that not the same?

• Advertisement

Gael23 wrote: »

What I mean is the smaller PT studios where you book for a 1 on 1 with a trainer. Why can't they open with distancing and cleaning everything down?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭caviardreams

What I mean is the smaller PT studios where you book for a 1 on 1 with a trainer. Why can't they open with distancing and cleaning everything down?

I 100% see this being a real option - and perhaps some commercial gyms maybe even switching to a more PT-based / small group training model with much higher fees. I would say some people would pay it initially at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I 100% see this being a real option - and perhaps some commercial gyms maybe even switching to a more PT-based / small group training model with much higher fees. I would say some people would pay it initially at least.

Gym I go to operated like this already, essentially you are booking a rack for an hour and there are a couple of instructors there at all times, it’s quite expensive but I like being able to walk straight in and no waiting for equipment etc. In theory you should be able to maintain social distancing using this model.

The problem of course is that if you give any leeway at all in the sector every business will jump on it whether they can implement it properly or not, and enforcement is impossible. It’s much easier for authorities to leave the blanket closure in place, they won’t want the hassle of drawing up guidelines to allow a small number of gyms to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I know of a gym that's proposing doing outdoor classes starting next week with 3 people and an instructor in their outdoor area. Is this allowed ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

D3V!L wrote: »
    I know of a gym that's proposing doing outdoor classes starting next week with 3 people and an instructor in their outdoor area. Is this allowed ?

Are they doing athletics?

Are they doing athletics?

Cardio and body weight exercises

Cardio and body weight exercises

Have ya a link?

Have ya a link?

Hasn't been set in stone yet

Hasn't been set in stone yet

I’m a bit lost on what your asking now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Cill94

As of the beginning of Phase 1 (18th May):

"Up to 4 people who don't live together can meet outdoors while keeping at least 2 metres apart."

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ad5dd0-easing-the-covid-19-restrictions-on-may-18-phase-1/#public-health-measures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Gyms are never going to fully open in the way they were before. If at all.

Are you willing to touch machines touched by many others and cleaned by a member of gym staff?

Exercising in a closed space means no people will be limited. I don't know how people will wear masks doing cardio etc.

Also changing rooms won't be open.

The fitness industry is going to be very damaged and very different going forward.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Are you willing to touch machines touched by many others and cleaned by a member of gym staff?

Exercising in a closed space means no people will be limited. I don't know how people will wear masks doing cardio etc.

The fitness industry is going to be very damaged and very different going forward.

Quite extreme, especially if/when there is a vaccine.

Quite extreme, especially if/when there is a vaccine.

Agreed and the fact they have said they can open in phase 5 and sports training can resume early than that. I don't think people will need to wear masks doing cardio sure they aren't even in supermarkets etc at the moment. The mask thing is a bit of a joke, why recommend it now in phase 1 for some instances, two months since this all started also.

The mask thing is a bit of a joke, why recommend it now in phase 1 for some instances, two months since this all started also.

Most countries that have mandated it have done so when the country was opening up as opposed to mid-lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Cill94

Way over the top. At some point, regular life has to resume. Waiting for a vaccine isn't a realistic timeframe for that to happen.

Most countries that have mandated it have done so when the country was opening up as opposed to mid-lockdown.

I agree Yes, just don't see why now and not two months ago when.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Id have no issue with being in the gym, using the spin studio or picking up weights. Ill wipe my bike down before and after and wash my hands before I leave like I always have.
    Its vitally important to the physical and mental wellbeing of society as a whole.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

As do I. But using weights and plyometric boxes etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Nope

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

jrosen wrote: »
    Id have no issue with being in the gym, using the spin studio or picking up weights. Ill wipe my bike down before and after and wash my hands before I leave like I always have.
    Its vitally important to the physical and mental wellbeing of society as a whole.

Cant waiiiit to go back spinning

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement