Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Lol. I guess the gyms should just throw out their treadmills and bikes. And they should fill the pool with concrete and build apartments, we can swim in the Liffey.

Tbf they're just pointing out how to maximise the time in the gym, ie by doing the things you can actually do outside the gym outside of the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lol. I guess the gyms should just throw out their treadmills and bikes. And they should fill the pool with concrete and build apartments, we can swim in the Liffey.

You complained you couldn't fit your workout into an hour because you want two cardio sets. He gave you a perfect solution to get around it.

2mins starting, 30mins run to the gym, 5mins rest/stretch, 30 mins bike, 5mins rest/stretch, 15mins weights, 3mins leaving.
    Total time on gym floor. 58 minutes.
    Total workout 90mins

The other option is that you actually push yourself during the cardio and get it over in 40 mins or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Rosita

[quote="Mellor;113849572"

The other option is that you actually push yourself during the cardio and get it over in 40 mins or less.[/quote]

To be fair, not everyone is a 5k in 20 mins person. And not everyone will want to max out at top speed in every cardio session. I see people of all ages and physical capacities doing cardio in the gym. I wouldn't dream of prescribing for them.

I say this as someone who made a point of getting in and out of the gym quickly in the months before the lockdown (as I tended to go before work) an hour is definitely tight for anyone.

Obviously ways can be found to maximise the time and cut corners but there is for some a sense that the gym is a place to relax and take some time out from real life and that will be eroded which is a pity.

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Ben Dunne Gyms.

Blanchardstown, Cherrywood and Portlaoise are opening in September!
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    Swipe across to see some exciting progress on our Blanchardstown gym.

https://www.facebook.com/282401818539221/posts/2955986217847421/

I have been told it will take several weeks to get money back.
    My money is not a short term loan for them to change their gym, I'll be replying
    with the utmost of clarity, money back now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Mellor wrote: »
    You complained you couldn't fit your workout into an hour because you want two cardio sets. He gave you a perfect solution to get around it.

Total time on gym floor. 58 minutes.
    Total workout 90mins

The other option is that you actually push yourself during the cardio and get it over in 40 mins or less.

Thankfully the gym I go to seems to think similar to me and is providing 90min slots. I don’t need the great advice offered by you and others on here. How could I never have thought of the possibility of replacing running on a treadmill with running outside of the gym.

• Advertisement

Rosita wrote: »
    To be fair, not everyone is a 5k in 20 mins person. And not everyone will want to max out at top speed in every cardio session. I see people of all ages and physical capacities doing cardio in the gym. I wouldn't dream of prescribing for them.
    I never mentioned 5km or prescribed a speed. Effort is always relative to everyone’s abilities.

Poster said he needs 60mins of cardio. IMO that’s simply not true. I can’t think of any physical ability where the min-effective dose is 60 mins. If anything, those less able would need shorter pieces.

It’s not ideal, but 60mins is workable.
    If the extra cardio is really wanted, there was a good suggestion for that.
    Obviously ways can be found to maximise the time and cut corners but there is for some a sense that the gym is a place to relax and take some time out from real life and that will be eroded which is a pity.
    Nobody is suggesting it’s just the same as before in all aspects. Its obviously not, but people now have an option to start getting back to routine.

This Mellor is right I think.

If you're unfit, have an injury or even a limiting condition, 60 mins is plenty.
    If you can go longer, then aim for intervals.

If you're super fit, highly motivated and conditioned, 60mins is also plenty.

It's just relativity. I can do 45 mins on a medium speed bike, or I can do 25 minutes hard intervals..

rusty cole wrote: »
    This Mellor is right I think.

If you're unfit, have an injury or even a limiting condition, 60 mins is plenty.
    If you can go longer, then aim for intervals.

If you're super fit, highly motivated and conditioned, 60mins is also plenty.

It's just relativity. I can do 45 mins on a medium speed bike, or I can do 25 minutes hard intervals..

Everyone is different. Some people have a short walk to the gym and may go every day, others have to drive a distance too far to run or cycle there, and may only go few times a week, so they prefer to do longer workout. And some people just prefer to run on treadmill instead of in the outdoors, or similar with bike. And for near 4 months now we have been doing this, or maybe not, in the outdoors or at home.
    I wasn’t the only person discussing the 60mins slots. I’m happy that my gym is providing 90mins.
    There must be a few personal trainers on this thread with all the advice being handed out!! I prefer to just go to gym for my own enjoyment and to keep somewhat in shape and keep the head clear, not for gains/getting the pump on or to see what my step count and calorie intake is. Each to their own.

Everyone is different. Some people have a short walk to the gym and may go every day, others have to drive a distance too far to run or cycle there, and may only go few times a week, so they prefer to do longer workout. And some people just prefer to run on treadmill instead of in the outdoors, or similar with bike. And for near 4 months now we have been doing this, or maybe not, in the outdoors or at home.
    I wasn’t the only person discussing the 60mins slots. I’m happy that my gym is providing 90mins.
    There must be a few personal trainers on this thread with all the advice being handed out!! I prefer to just go to gym for my own enjoyment and to keep somewhat in shape and keep the head clear, not for gains/getting the pump on or to see what my step count and calorie intake is. Each to their own.
    People are free to do what ever they want.
    You complained that 60 was too short. You were given an good option. If you don’t like running outdoors that’s cool. But to dismiss it like you did was silly.

If you are going for fun rather than results it probably doesn’t matter as much how long they spend there. But do whatever suits.

People are free to do what ever they want.
    You complained that 60 was too short. You were given an good option. If you don’t like running outdoors that’s cool. But to dismiss it like you did was silly.

If you are going for fun rather than results it probably doesn’t matter as much how long they spend there. But do whatever suits.

If you read the post from endal he/she was suggesting to me I spend 30mins running on road, 30mins cycling on road and 60mins doing weights at the gym, as an argument for 60mins. Pretty stupid advice I would say and without even knowing anything about what I do in gym. You then edited that and changed one of the 30mins road for gym, don’t remember if you reduced the 60mins weights.
    And there was an open discussion about the 60mins and I was suggesting 90 in my posts as being more fair as I understand a limit is required. Don’t think I was really complaining as you say now twice. And some gyms made the decision to have the 90mins limit so all your suggestions for 60 are not necessarily correct. And nobody was asking for your advice anyway even if you are always right about everything.

• Advertisement

Breaking news, all gyms across the world will close with immediate effect. Everything one does in a gym can also be done outside of gym without even needing to pay for it. All these years we have been fooled into attending gyms and paying for the entry, I recommend you all seek compensation for this deceitful recruitment.

If you read the post from endal he/she was suggesting to me I spend 30mins running on road, 30mins cycling on road and 60mins doing weights at the gym, as an argument for 60mins. Pretty stupid advice I would say and without even knowing anything about what I do in gym. You then edited that and changed one of the 30mins road for gym, don’t remember if you reduced the 60mins weights.
    I quoted your post based on what you said you do. And edited the treadmill only. :confused:

And there was an open discussion about the 60mins and I was suggesting 90 in my posts as being more fair as I understand a limit is required. Don’t think I was really complaining as you say now twice. And some gyms made the decision to have the 90mins limit so all your suggestions for 60 are not necessarily correct. And nobody was asking for your advice anyway even if you are always right about everything.
    Yes there was sensible discussion from other posters. Nobody had issue with that. Only the usual nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Rosita

[quote="Mellor;113851757"

I can’t think of any physical ability where the min-effective dose is 60 mins. .[/quote]

But happily you don't have to. It's up the every individual what suits themselves and to have their own routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

To be fair, people were just suggesting that, in less than ideal circumstances, the running and/or cycling could be done outside of the gym so that the limited gym time could be spent maximising time with equipment doing exercises they couldn't do outside the gym.

It's now a moot point since the poster is in a gym that is offering time slots that facilitate all of the exercise in the gym.

I quoted your post based on what you said you do. And edited the treadmill only. :confused:

Yes there was sensible discussion from other posters. Nobody had issue with that. Only the usual nonsense.

You pick up on the silliest of things. When I was mid reply I just didn’t remember if you overwrite my original post or the reply from the other poster. My bad!! So you are suggesting to me I should do 30mins cardio inside the gym and 30mins outside. And there is no reason to do both inside gym and have a 90mins limit. And of course you are right as you always are. How stupid of me to list the exact times to give an example why one may want 90mins, that was such nonsense as science has proven you can do what you need to do cardio wise in less than 30mins, otherwise you need to exercise harder.
    Thankfully tho my gym disagrees with you and are providing 90mins limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭dashoonage

jaysys this lockdown is really messing with people.

To be fair, people were just suggesting that, in less than ideal circumstances, the running and/or cycling could be done outside of the gym so that the limited gym time could be spent maximising time with equipment doing exercises they couldn't do outside the gym.

It's now a moot point since the poster is in a gym that is offering time slots that facilitate all of the exercise in the gym.

It was a fair and civilised debate, and I don’t think I was the only person saying 90. But the discussion became silly when the poster suggested to me I do 60mins weights and rest on road. I think that was a joke and my response was also a joke. But then mr ‘I know it all and will always have the final say, and I will take sly digs at you in the process (if you just go to gym for fun and not results.... the stupid emoji lol) as my intelligence level is so high’ decided to butt into it. And the rest as they say is history!!

It was a fair and civilised debate, and I don’t think I was the only person saying 90. But the discussion became silly when the poster suggested to me I do 60mins weights and rest on road. I think that was a joke and my response was also a joke. But then mr ‘I know it all and will always have the final say, and I will take sly digs at you in the process (if you just go to gym for fun and not results.... the stupid emoji lol) as my intelligence level is so high’ decided to butt into it. And the rest as they say is history!!
    You ok hun?

You ok hun?

I was wrong. Seems you are ‘Mrs no it all and always right’.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

🎧 Listen in tomorrow at 10am to Newstalk as our Gym Plus Chairman, Dirk Van Der Flier chats to Bobby Kerr. ð˜¿ð™€ð™¬ð™£ ð™©ð™€ ð˜½ð™ªð™¨ð™žð™£ð™šð™¨ð™¨ ð™¬ð™žð™©ð™ ð˜½ð™€ð™—ð™—ð™® ð™†ð™šð™§ð™§ is available to subscribe & listen to on Apple Podcasts and Spotify & download on Google Play and App Store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭Esse85

Anyone taken up a new form of training since the gyms have closed?

I bought gym rings and resistance bands and really like using both, as a result I'll not be rushing back, I've gotten used to doing workouts anywhere and any time particularly outside on a sunny day.

Dips and pull ups on the rings are a fantastic workout.

I've struggled to get a proper leg workout in, that's where this equipment has left me a little snookered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

I miss deadlifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NotMOL

What gyms are opening next week and do PAYG or monthly memberships?

I see that westwood and gymplus are opening next week but it seems that they only have yearly memberships available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

NotMOL wrote: »
    What gyms are opening next week and do PAYG or monthly memberships?

I see that westwood and gymplus are opening next week but it seems that they only have yearly memberships available.

Raw do a 3 month option but there's a joining fee also

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

Anytime Fitness (Dublin) are opening Wed 01-Jul with reduced opening hours of 06:00 to 22:00.

There won't be a booking system or a limit to the amount of time you can spend in the club, as I understand it.
    When a maximum number of users is reached, access will be restricted until someone leaves etc.

Raw do a 3 month option but there's a joining fee also

Do you know their monthly fee? Their website has no prices

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I was quoted €59 per month for donnybrook anyway

I found that Your Fitness Gym in Harold's Cross Rd is also open on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

I got an email saying.
    "Our membership packages range from €33 - €74 a month."
    Some price range. Sounds like prices back in the total fitness sandyford days!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Energie Fitness Stepaside reopening 6 July while some other franchises reopen 29 June.

Cork is reopening 29/6 but has rebranded.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement