Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

best bib or triathlon shorts for longer turbo sessions?

Options
  • 30-03-2020 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

hi folks

just wondering if anyone has some recommendations for best shorts for 60mins plus turbo sessions? I'm using an adamo ISM saddle but find that any more than 60 mins on the turbo becomes almost unbearable. I don't usually have this issue cycling outdoors with the tri shorts

I've tried various different tri shorts, tri suits and even regular cycling bib shorts but they all seem to be either too thickly padded or not padded enough.

Would love to hear some of your recommendations

cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

have you tried chamois cream? see a bunch of the pros commenting on twitter that it's the only thing getting them through all the turbos..

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dickidy

i was the same and got a good cream and a fan to try cool myself.
    i would always take my t-shirt off while on the torbo but i think this just made things worse. i leave my t shirt on now to stop all the sweat going into my shorts.
    hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

In my experience you won't find any shorts that are great on the turbo. You don't move half as much as you would on the road and tend to hold the same position the whole time so it is just tougher.

When I use an ism I find smaller pads better so usually tri shorts, have found compressport good. On the road bike I find a larger surface pad but still thin works well, have found endura shorts good. But to be honest I wouldn't say either are comfy.

Make sure you wash your shorts after every spin, especially if your sweating as much as you say and have a shower after. Stops build up of bacteria. Also get a bigger fan and point it at your chest/head.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rodriquez

thanks folks - appreciate the responses - I will definitely need to get a fan for starters I reckon

I was using a few different chamois creams too but found Vaseline to be just as effective - maybe I just didn't find the right one

I'll probably have a look at some of those brands you mentioned Joey

I also, just probably need to HTFU :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

I'd say you will find bibshorts, a bit like saddles are very person specific, what might work for one just doesn't for another. I know people who highly rate castelli shorts but I just found them awful on the turbo, same with a pair of DHB ones I bought, awful on the turbo but no issues at all on the road. The turbo just magnifies everything really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MalDoc

As joey100 has said above, it's a guessing game.

I've one tri-suit I can just about tolerate on the Turbo at the minute.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

starting to count my blessings, have done 2 to 3 hour+ turbos in nearly every pair of bike or tri shorts i have and no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MalDoc

Do! I've gone down the DIY rocker plate it's such hardship :)

Advertisement