Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Classic Rock Hour with John Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I shall be listening to Metallica on the drive to work in the morning.

Hopefully the Classic Rock Hour is back sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭RINO87

The Late Debate will be on a break again soon for the summer..maybe John will return again on this slot?

Live programming in this slot in the summer? You having a laugh? Haven't they loads of re-runs of "Shur it was better in...." and "Pantisocracy" to regurgitate for us, again....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

With three minutes to go, I suddenly remembered to tune in! It was in the middle of the last track - Enter Sandman by Metallica - which was kind of appropriate! I heard John signing off. I think he enjoyed himself. There was a handover with Cathal Dunne who mentioned the music!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

There was a handover with Cathal Dunne who mentioned the music!

Cathal Murray !!!

Cathal Murray !!!

Whoops! :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Turned on the radio a while ago expecting power chords and big guitar solos, but got boring talk instead :(

• Registered Users Posts: 71,618 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Oh.

Right.

:(

At the moment, they seem to be repeating old episodes of ‘Callans Kicks’ after Creedo.

Bring back the rock!

JK is in Tokyo for the Olympics and records his 2XM radio show 'the JK experience' shows from there !

He’s back at 10pm!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Thomhic312

6 nights only

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭RINO87

Ha, YES!! Just posted in the "late debate off the air for covid" thread that I would be all for a return of the classic rock show!!!

‘The Spirit Of Radio’!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Great to stumble across John on air last night. Sounds like he is really enjoying himself - should be a regular on the R1 schedule.

John was on Morning Ireland earlier talking about the passing of Meatloaf. He was introduced as host of the classic rock hour. Made a change from hearing Dave Fanning on such occasions and nice to hear the programme referenced ... now to get it on a regular schedule :)

The fact that John and his programme was referenced that way makes me wonder if RTE, and Radio One, are thinking of making this a more permanent feature of the schedule in some shape or form.

the late debate might be reduced to 1 night, or scrapped entirely

John's final regular slot on 2FM was the Classic Rock show in 1999-2000. He had presented the much remembered Metal Show before that (since 1993). Both shows were on Sunday evenings.

John started on RTE 2FM in 1987 on Overnights/The Night train. Started on RTE Sport in 1992.

Before all that, he went a through a number of Dublin pirates, as well as a stint along the way with Cork's big pirate South Coast Radio.

of course. he was with Q102 just before joining RTE.

• Advertisement

there's an idea for a thread:

Former superpirate presenters currently presenting shows in RTE Radio, who moved to RTE while the superpirates were still on air (pre-Dec 1988).

(and have remained with RTE since joining RTE)

Ronan Collins

John Creedon

Brian Dobson

John Kenny .....

Ronan Collins was not with the "super"pirates. He was with at least one smaller one - ARD. He joined RTE Radio 2 in 1979 before the superpirates era had arrived.

If you remove "super" it works! I think Dave Fanning is the only other one left - he came from Radio Dublin and Big D. Like Ronan, he joined RTE Radio 2 in 1979.

ARD would have been considered a "Superpirate" before the arrival of Nova and Sunshine, It was one of the biggest/most popular in Ireland.

But yes Superpirate was a term used after 1980/1981.

Yes Dave Fanning, same as Ronan, if we remove "Super".

Marty Whelan of course would be the same as Dave and Ronan, but he deflected to Century radio so he has a broken record with RTE.

IMHO ... ARD was simply a 'better pirate' when compared to the other stations operating at the time.

Their presentation and management was superior, but it was a very low bench mark that they rose above. ARD also suffered from constant signal issues and makeshift studio facilities. I would not be too sure about popularity either... it was critically acclaimed and more respected than other stations, but Radio Dublin and Big D would have been more popular stations, with far more listeners.

The Superpirate term was always reserved for Sunshine/Nova and those who came after.... where the whole package, presentation/management and technical aspects were of professional quality.

You added Brian Dobson since! He's still there of course, and he actually was on superpirate Radio Nova! Previous to that, he was with Southside Radio.

Anna Cassin also came via the superpirates - Nova and Q102. Is Brian Jennings still with RTE? When you go through news and current affairs, there are a few still around.

Not being from Cork, I only know bits about John Creedon's pirate career. - ERI and South Coast Radio?

Brian Jennings is still reading the news on RTE Radio 1 daytime 6am to 1pm Mon to Thurs.

But did he join RTE while the Pre-1988 pirates were still on air?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

PANTERA!!!

Post edited by Say Your Number on

Note to myself: I might actually remember to tune in this time!

ROCK LOBSTER!

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the B-52's what a wacky band they were, them and Devo

Advertisement