Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wages - Creches and childcare workers COVID 19

Options
  • 12-03-2020 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Are the government paying creche owners and childcare workers the €305 per week for shutting them down? What way will rates have to be paid? Will there be consideration here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

jonny_b wrote: »
    Are the government paying creche owners and childcare workers the €305 per week for shutting them down? What way will rates have to be paid? Will there be consideration here?

I actually think that payment exists only if you have the virus, or are in isolation while testing for it. I am open to correction though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

No, they are not.

This €305 pw payment everyone is on about is only an illness benefit payment for people affected by the virus.

Not just a payment to support people out of work.

Employer must have a policy in place for peoples pay, if not, then itll be the normal dole of 200 euro at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭jonny_b

No, they are not.

This €305 pw payment everyone is on about is only an illness benefit payment for people affected by the virus.

Not just a payment to support people out of work.

Employer must have a policy in place for peoples pay, if not, then itll be the normal dole of 200 euro at the moment
    Hard on employers outside of Dublin who don't charge extornate rates for childcare...

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭dm1979

I'm in a community creche, and despite the fact that government payments to our creche for different schemes will continue to be paid, the staff will unfortunately be not. This has led to alot of panicked conversations about bills, mortgages and the general cost of living. Whats everyone elses situation, will you be paid?

dm1979 wrote: »
    I'm in a community creche, and despite the fact that government payments to our creche for different schemes will continue to be paid, the staff will unfortunately be not. This has led to alot of panicked conversations about bills, mortgages and the general cost of living. Whats everyone elses situation, will you be paid?
    Unfortunately scheme payments coming in won't even cover the cost of monthly wages, let alone rent rates insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,503 ✭✭✭baldbear

Will parents have to pay for childcare when their kids can't attend?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

Hard on employers outside of Dublin who don't charge extornate rates for childcare...

This is bollox, pardon my language, our crèche is changing us full fees, not even a token reduction for the reduced outgoings they are going to have over the next few weeks. Won’t have to heat or light the building, no cooking meals or providing snacks, no laundry costs. Yet we’re paying full fees while also taking unpaid leave from our own jobs to mind our child.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Toastytoes wrote: »
    This is bollox, pardon my language, our crèche is changing us full fees, not even a token reduction for the reduced outgoings they are going to have over the next few weeks. Won’t have to heat or light the building, no cooking meals or providing snacks, no laundry costs. Yet we’re paying full fees while also taking unpaid leave from our own jobs to mind our child.

I wouldnt be expecting crèches to refund fees at all. You will just have to suck it up I'm afraid. Health is more important.

McCrack wrote: »
    I wouldnt be expecting crèches to refund fees at all. You will just have to suck it up I'm afraid. Health is more important.

I fully accept health is the main priority but there is no denying our crèche is profiting from this situation which is disgusting.

Toastytoes wrote: »
    I fully accept health is the main priority but there is no denying our crèche is profiting from this situation which is disgusting.

I would hope they are making a profit as they are a business.

They need to money to pay overheads which continue despite being shut down. If they don't have enough money they close for good and you will have to find somewhere else to bring your child to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

McCrack wrote: »
    I would hope they are making a profit as they are a business.

They need to money to pay overheads which continue despite being shut down. If they don't have enough money they close for good and you will have to find somewhere else to bring your child to.

Overheads wound be greatly reduced if their are no staff or children in the premises for two weeks?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Overheads wound be greatly reduced if their are no staff or children in the premises for two weeks?

Rates won't be reduced. Rent won't be reduced. Insurance won't be reduced. No kids then there's no fees in a good deal of pay as you go creches. It's not all pay your fee to keep your place in every creche

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Rates won't be reduced. Rent won't be reduced. Insurance won't be reduced. No kids then there's no fees in a good deal of pay as you go creches. It's not all pay your fee to keep your place in every creche

Insurance is paid throughout the year. So can see why you'd still contribute to that. But ESB, heat, washing, food, all greatly reduced. Should be reflected in price. Particularly if staff are not paid.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Insurance is paid throughout the year. So can see why you'd still contribute to that. But ESB, heat, washing, food, all greatly reduced. Should be reflected in price. Particularly if staff are not paid.

Insurance is paid once a year - a big lump sum or by monthly instalments

and fees are necessary pay that and all the other overheads of running a business and to have money in the bank for next year etc

Food comes straight from employers pocket as far as I know. No vat claimed in creches as far as I am aware. I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Food comes straight from employers pocket as far as I know. No vat claimed in creches as far as I am aware. I could be wrong

No they can’t claim vat back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I am happy to pay my usual fees.... once staff are getting paid. But if staff are not getting paid, I will be pissed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭spurshero

Why would staff not be getting paid if crèches are taking in same money as they do every other week as parents pay even if kids don’t attend . If staff Are not being paid but crèches are still charging full whack then that is disgusting behaviour .

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

mloc123 wrote: »
    I am happy to pay my usual fees.... once staff are getting paid. But if staff are not getting paid, I will be pissed

They should be mandated to pay staff if they are charging fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

mloc123 wrote: »

I know of several different creches taking full pay from parents and not paying staff a penny.

• Advertisement

spurshero wrote: »
    Why would staff not be getting paid if crèches are taking in same money as they do every other week as parents pay even if kids don’t attend . If staff Are not being paid but crèches are still charging full whack then that is disgusting behaviour .

I agree but only if the creche is charging parents fees while Closed. Its the right thing to do. However there are creches out there that have pay as you go policies such as parents dictating the hours of what their child will be using a week in advance and only pay for said hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

PmMeUrDogs wrote: »
    I know of several different creches taking full pay from parents and not paying staff a penny.

Yup... one thing was clear on collection yesterday, fees are expected... one thing was not clear, if the staff in the rooms would be getting paid :mad:

PmMeUrDogs wrote: »

Not right I completely agree. The creche my OH is in don't have any fees coming in but have agreed in good faith to top up their social as best they can and in times of uncertainty it could could be closed as far out as 20th april

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

spurshero wrote: »

Staff won't be paid in those unscrupulous establishments. They'll keep charging parents, lay off staff for no work and keep the extra money.

Not all creches will be like this, but there will be a few who will do that.

Govt should force the creches that keep charging parents monthly fees to keep paying staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Crèches that are charging should certainly be paying staff, most will have been paid at the start of the month so should certainly be paying for the two weeks. If it’s extended beyond then I can see parents not paying and staff being let go temporarily, this will have knock on effects when they do reopen as some staff may not come back which will be a further knock to an already struggling industry.

Are you joking? Food is a business expense for the crèche, VAT has nothing to do with taking a tax deduction on business expenses. There’s no way the owners of crèches are paying for food for the crèche our of their own pocket and it is most certainly factored in to our monthly crèche fee, as I’d expect it to be. It’s not a charity they are running.

But if April rolls around and they can’t reopen and there is no reduction in fees to reflect their reduced outgoings I’ll be expecting my crèche to provide the snacks that they are charging me for, they can send them home in a doggie bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

People may have already paid a monthly fee in advance for the current month but if the closures continue beyond the end of the month I can't see how creches can continue to charge for a service which they cannot provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭enricoh

Pay e1400 for a 4 day week for our two. Will let March go but will be looking for a good reduction for April if not paying staff.
    Very happy with creche though and it's hard to find a creche space locally if they play hardball.
    We need them more than they need us realistically!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

Our creche contacted today. We have to pay until the end of March as they are paying all staff a full wage until the end of March. We don't have to pay anything after April 1st. One of the creche workers babysit for me and she has confirmed to me that they are being paid until the end of the month. I am happy with that and relieved. One less bill for awhile. This is in Cork City, Southern suburb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'm surprised ,no one has started an Uber style website for childcare workers ..a bit more continuity than Uber maybe .. some childcare workers offering to mind in your home ,some in theirs ..
    Payment by card ? , Insurance being the parents issue ,? . Only qualified vetted staff on the site ...
    And back up available for holidays / sick days ect ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement