Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 Calender

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

darragh_k wrote: »
    People should have the option to defer. I've no issue with that of course.

I will re enter every race which has given refunds.

It's not for them to decide, it's a crap situation for everyone but it's not my business problem.

But it likely will be an issue for you as an triathlete when many of those event companies go down and there will be less racess.
    There is obviously some races that are very profitable but by and large as the say not that many race organicers drive a Porsche and even the very big races like challenge Roth have issues . And they kept a 90 euro admin fee and asked for donations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭griffin100

peter kern wrote: »
    But it likely will be an issue for you as an triathlete when many of those event companies go down and there will be less racess.
    There is obviously some races that are very profitable but by and large as the say not that many race organicers drive a Porsche and even the very big races like challenge Roth have issues . And they kept a 90 euro admin fee and asked for donations.

How many tri’s in Ireland are now run by event companies or are the vast majority still club run? I’d be worried what the cancellations may have done to some club finances and what it might mean for some clubs viability.

griffin100 wrote: »
    How many tri’s in Ireland are now run by event companies or are the vast majority still club run? I’d be worried what the cancellations may have done to some club finances and what it might mean for some clubs viability.[/quote

Its not that many and much .less than in the uk but it obviously makes a huge difference if a race is run by volunteers or paid employees for admin etc and of course there is few clubs who rightly pay their race director at least some morney

I can't see how clubs can afford to return the full money or better said why they should have to return the full money ,as they had expenses and work time and it's not fair on them to return the full money

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭darragh_k

Fine I give up. Some races return fees others don't.

I don't have information on finances .

griffin100 wrote: »
    How many tri’s in Ireland are now run by event companies or are the vast majority still club run? I’d be worried what the cancellations may have done to some club finances and what it might mean for some clubs viability.[/quote

Its not that many and much .less than in the uk but it obviously makes a huge difference if a race is run by volunteers or paid employees for admin etc and of course there is few clubs who rightly pay their race director at least some morney

I can't see how clubs can afford to return the full money or better said why they should have to return the full money ,as they had expenses and work time and it's not fair on them to return the full money

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Speaking of returning fees, I wonder what the position is with 2020 paid membership for Triathlon Ireland? Will this be refunded or allocated to 2021 fees? In fact this may impact all clubs such as cycling, athletic clubs etc.

• Advertisement

Speaking of returning fees, I wonder what the position is with 2020 paid membership for Triathlon Ireland? Will this be refunded or allocated to 2021 fees? In fact this may impact all clubs such as cycling, athletic clubs etc.

Swim Ireland cancelled the entire season a few weeks ago and aren’t refunding any membership fees or allowing credit for next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

TI won't be refunding 2020 member fees, nor crediting into 2021. I'd doubt if any clubs are refunding their membership fees either. These are exceptional times and IMO people should accept it if they want any sort of structure up and running in 2021.

To be honest though this is the least of our problems; its a rare swimming pool that makes money in good times, and I can see quite a few pools remaining closed after this financial hit.

darragh_k wrote: »
    Fine I give up. Some races return fees others don't.

I don't have information on finances .

You are asking a good question

There is no easy answer .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

mod note

Peter, i've edited your post. no need for the insults. that's more than welcome on the webtsite you mentioned too. have at it over there to your hearts content.

mossym wrote: »
    mod note

Peter, i've edited your post. no need for the insults. that's more than welcome on the webtsite you mentioned too. have at it over there to your hearts content.

Fair enough ,my bad
    so let me rephrase it
    to come to a better conclusion it would help to consider more aspects than just ones own initial emotions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

to come to a better conclusion it would help to consider more aspects than just ones own initial emotions.

should be the norm for everyone in any social interaction, especially social media/online , but something we're all guilty of missing

Italy restarting swim training from 4th May
    PHASE 2A: starting from 4th May for athletes recognized as being of national interest in view of their participation in the Olympic Games or national and international events
    PHASE 2B: In a SUCCESSIVE STEP (presumably from 18th May), facilities will be reopened for users practicing basic sports activities, even with the restrictions and limitations.

This looks promising and hopefully lays a successful pathway to Ireland reopening pools. And if pools can open, surely the OW could open before them?

Not looking good for triathlon events this summer. Swim Ireland have cancelled OW events until August- we operate under a different NGB but all under the same Sports Ireland umbrella.

Swim Ireland statement:
    Cancellation of Open Water Swimming Events

May 01, 2020

Update – 1st May 2020

The following update provides Swim Ireland clubs further direction and guidance in relation to the Open Water Season and training considering guidelines from the Irish and UK Governments regarding Covid-19.

Open Water Season

Swim Ireland announces today that all open water races under its jurisdiction originally scheduled to take place between now and the end of July will no longer take place. This decision has not been taken lightly and due consideration has been given to advices from the Irish and UK governments and consultations with the open water community. The situation will be further reviewed for August/September, should restrictions ease, however, events that might be given the go-ahead will only be where they can be delivered in line with all Government and public health advices and diktats and where this might be possible Swim Ireland in consultation with our open water community will issue specific guidance in this regard.

We have written to the HSE seeking advices in relation to the impact of COVID 19 in relation to open water specifically and we are currently considering these advices. At this juncture club training is to remain ceased in line with existing public health measures.

If clubs have queries or concerns, please contact your Club Support Officer who will be able to provide you with assistance.

We continue to monitor the situation very carefully and will issue further advice to our clubs and members as this become available. Please continue to regularly check the Swim Ireland website for further updates and contact Swim Ireland if you have any urgent questions or concerns.

Based on the Government's road map document and the 5 phases, I'd be more confident that we may get back to some racing in August. All depends on how things progress and infection rates not increasing. As to whether clubs will take the risks and spend money organising races is another thing as there are no absolutes here.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

Not looking good for triathlon events this summer. Swim Ireland have cancelled OW events until August- we operate under a different NGB but all under the same Sports Ireland umbrella.

Swim Ireland statement:

As a frontline worker I'm obviously very aware of COVID and how serious it can be, but I have to say I'd be fairly relaxed about letting OW swim events happen at some stage. Transmission risk outdoors is very low, especially in summer. As long as the event is well run, no crowded clubhouse afterwards, more starting waves, strict entry limits and a few other conditions, I'd be happy enough really.

This is particularly if other public places are open where the risk is higher like cafes or most shops.

As for triathlons, this is a little more complex of course. But I still think it may be feasible with strict conditions.

Advertisement