Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/08/12/beef-banned-university-bid-fight-climate-change/amp/

Debate on Newstalk earlier. I've never heard such peddling of misinformation.

Virtue Signalling at it's worst.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

blue5000 wrote: »
    Big bulls that are being banded would need vaccine shots as well before the operation.

Clostridial. Tetanus and Blackleg.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Just got an e-mail message about a PM but no PM. She wants to send me pics of her weanling heifers........Oh hang on, read that wrong. Jeez.:(

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I have pair of muckmaster wellies. Have them about 3 years. Their starting to leave in water. I want to replace them with the same type of welly. I remember talking to a stand at the Dairy open day in Punchestown there in 2018, their based in cork but I can’t for the life of me remember their name or find their name. Can anyone help me out ? They sell clothing and other stuff for farms

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

What time does sales start in Drumshambo on a Friday?
    Thinking of showing a few heifers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Agirdirect or wellies.ie David. Wouldn't want your toes getting cold if you go back on the picket line.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,121 ✭✭✭✭Base price

davidk1394 wrote: »
    I have pair of muckmaster wellies. Have them about 3 years. Their starting to leave in water. I want to replace them with the same type of welly. I remember talking to a stand at the Dairy open day in Punchestown there in 2018, their based in cork but I can’t for the life of me remember their name or find their name. Can anyone help me out ? They sell clothing and other stuff for farms
    Agridirect sell them and delivery is free - https://www.agridirect.ie/product/the-muck-boot-muckmaster-hi

• Registered Users Posts: 11,121 ✭✭✭✭Base price

What time does sales start in Drumshambo on a Friday?
    Thinking of showing a few heifers
    According to their FB page 7pm for dry cows/cows and calves -

Drumshanbo Mart PLC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Yes it's 7. Can be a good Mart for heifers/cows.

Got my winter fuel home today :D

Do you prebook or just arrive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Is the turf holding up the shed :D

Can't tell you....never sold in it. Think that's Eoins Mobile there if you want to ring tomorrow & see.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Is the turf holding up the shed :D

Probably. Means nobody can steal my turf without me knowing though, win win!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Base price wrote: »
    Agridirect sell them and delivery is free - https://www.agridirect.ie/product/the-muck-boot-muckmaster-hi

Thanks Base

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭orm0nd

2 quad bikes stolen fairly locally over the last week or 10 days

Both have now been recovered mainly due to cctv, social media coverage, & alert neighbours.

orm0nd wrote: »

Both have now been recovered mainly due to cctv, social media coverage, & alert neighbours.

Any idea who stole them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Any idea who stole them?

maybe

proving is a different matter though, reg plate not clear on cctv

• Registered Users Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

They are close to me too..........must watch myself. Orm0nd is about

• Registered Users Posts: 11,025 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The Perennial question of which is better for the environment: grassfed beef or grainfed beef?

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2019/08/13/746576239/is-grass-fed-beef-really-better-for-the-planet-heres-the-science

A grassfed farm did a carbon measurement and it worked out their farm was carbon negative for beef and just about negative for the whole farm based on machinery usage.
    However it's not a simple system as the multiple retailers are leading the price of grassfed beef down as more becomes available.
    The article is from the U.S. and on the U.S. farming systems.

Most tillage farmers are carbon positive based on soil damage and non soil carbon sequestration with carbon depletion, but like the cattle farmers there are some carbon negative operators.
    Interesting questions and answers none the less that you won't hear about the Joe Duffy show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

oh the bloody farmers releasing all that carbon!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

John Fagan (Farming Indo) had his quad taken last night too

What would cause cows to cough sporadically? They'll stand four square, head stretched out & cough for maybe 30 seconds, mightn't see them at it again for days. Also seen them coughing lying down. Varying in age from 12yrs to 3yrs so not a young stock problem. Was going to treat for lungworm but thought I'd double check here first!

No snots or anything on them so doesn't seem viral. Just never seen them at it before.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

All stock prebooked although tomorrow would still be soon enough seeing as it's an off peak time of year. When the stock level's increase in a month or 2 then you'd want to be booking early in the week. The heifer trade was good enough last week, a few men looking for heifers suitable to bull in the back end. There was a special entry of replacement type heifers and they were met with good demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

What would cause cows to cough sporadically? They'll stand four square, head stretched out & cough for maybe 30 seconds, mightn't see them at it again for days. Also seen them coughing lying down. Varying in age from 12yrs to 3yrs so not a young stock problem. Was going to treat for lungworm but thought I'd double check here first!

No snots or anything on them so doesn't seem viral. Just never seen them at it before.
    Definitely sounds like lungworm seems to be a higher burden this year for some reason would cover them with a cheap pour on for peace of mind

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Definitely sounds like lungworm seems to be a higher burden this year for some reason would cover them with a cheap pour on for peace of mind

Yes, looked up symptoms there & seems very like it. Will pick the up something in the vets tomorrow, that time of year to arrange herd test again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

trixi2011 wrote: »

Have bullocks coming up on 30 months coughing like fcuk. Thriving well so leaving well enough alone. Hard to listen to them coughing though.

Was on a farm walk recently & saw a fitting for a slurry pipe above the tank.
    I think it’s for adding water / slurry

Has anyone got this?

One of my emails this morning was Centre Parcs looking for a Santa from the start of November :pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

One of my emails this morning was Centre Parcs looking for a Santa from the start of November :pac::D

Only 4 months to Santa:eek:

• Advertisement

Only 4 months to Santa:eek:

Hope you've been good!! Be very strange here, be in a different house for Christmas than for the last 31 years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement