Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding Q&A superthread

• 21-01-2019 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Mutant

Hello on m7 yesterday there was a car in front of me that was constantly going up and down in speed. I decided to overtake them and with my luck there was a guard with either a speedgun or tripod(not sure which) there. I was probably doing 10 to 15 over the limit to overtake.

My question is do they have to follow me to issue me with the fine/points or can i expect something in the post. I was in the right hand lane to overtake with other car to my left but am a bit paranoid about it.

Any info is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Pops_20

I believe they have to stop you to give you the fine. You should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭Killinator

The Garda would stop you to show you the speed he clocked you at.
    You're fine....as in ok....not as in a fine

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Mutant

Killinator wrote: »
    The Garda would stop you to show you the speed he clocked you at.
    You're fine....as in ok....not as in a fine

Thanks puts me at ease 😊 and funny word twisting 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

Similar question.

Heading down the M7 also, going through the road works in the left hand lane, never went above 55kmh and everyone is tipping along nicely. Guy in the right lane is going a nice bit over, possibly 70 or 75kmh given how fast he came on us and disappeared after.

The point he overtook me was right at the speed van, I saw the flash, it was definitely meant for his car but I'm a little paranoid as we were pretty much side by side with him over taking me.

I assume the speed van would have read his reg as over the limit and not mine by mistake.

I've no real idea how they work tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved out from a speed gun thread.
    The two are different in how they operate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭markpb

I think (but could be wrong) that when the photo is manually reviewed, it will be discarded because there is more than one vehicle in frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭ Zander Wailing Monster

I thought they didn't flash?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Homer

InstaSte wrote: »
    I thought they didn't flash?

Thats what I thought also? The cameras don't need a flash to be able to pick up the reg with advances in modern camera technology.

Also I doubt they need clear stretch of road and can detect speeding with more than one car in the frame?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If you weren't speeding there'll be no problem surely?

Homer wrote: »
    Also I doubt they need clear stretch of road and can detect speeding with more than one car in the frame?

If there were two cars in frame, how would you prove which car was speeding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Due to the high number of these kind of threads in the Motors forum, we have made the decision to have one thread for it all.

You can ask all questions here and we can have all answers in one place.

Stickied for a while until it gains traction.

If you weren't speeding there'll be no problem surely?

That's what I'm hoping but the car over taking me was pretty much parallel, maybe ever so slightly ahead. My own paranoia is telling me they would capture my reg but clock his speed. Hoping they can detect individual cars so close together and I'm worrying over nothing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Speed vans are able to monitor at least 2 lanes of traffic at a time so if this other driver was overtaking you they would be in the outside lane.

Speed vans are able to monitor at least 2 lanes of traffic at a time so if this other driver was overtaking you they would be in the outside lane.

Daily activity on the M50 would suggest otherwise.

Ok, thanks. Wanst sure if they were able to monitor 2 lanes at once or not.

Yes, I was in the left lane, he was in the outside lane over taking me.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DPolo

kerry37 wrote: »
    Ok, thanks. Wanst sure if they were able to monitor 2 lanes at once or not.

Yes, I was in the left lane, he was in the outside lane over taking me.

Cheers.

Taken from myvehicle.ie
    "The picture they send out to you with your speeding fine will be zoomed in tight to your vehicles number plate. These vans work off K-Band radar (which is very similar to automatic door openers in shops/ garages etc). There is also a forward facing camera on the dashboard of the van, primarily to read motorbike plates"

They work off radar and take still image automatically, computer works out which car triggered the speed camera

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭socco

How long does it take a speed fine to issue and arrive in the post?

Reason for asking is I was on the M7 last Thursday and I passed a unmarked Guard car. I didn't get pulled but I was doing slightly over 130ish so I'm not sure if I'll get a fine in the post or not.

I hands up accept the fine/points if I get one and lesson learned to pay more attention to the speed I'm doing from now on just not sure how long it would take the fine to arrive if I'm getting one or if I may have got lucky and escaped with just a lesson learned.

socco wrote: »
    How long does it take a speed fine to issue and arrive in the post?

Reason for asking is I was on the M7 last Thursday and I passed a unmarked Guard car. I didn't get pulled but I was doing slightly over 130ish so I'm not sure if I'll get a fine in the post or not.

I hands up accept the fine/points if I get one and lesson learned to pay more attention to the speed I'm doing from now on just not sure how long it would take the fine to arrive if I'm getting one or if I may have got lucky and escaped with just a lesson learned.

If it was a Garda car, they'd have pulled you, showed you your clocked speed on their gun (not even like they had one), had a word and let you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Another great triumph for the Irish legal system as a smart solicitor enables six speeding (allegedly) drivers to get away with it.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/fresh-loophole-sees-six-speeding-cases-struck-out-in-court-37852689.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The only thing that gets me there is why the woman from Balbriggan is getting singled out - twice :pac:

Silly question but who do I ring to see if penalty points are still in effect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

The only thing that gets me there is why the woman from Balbriggan is getting singled out - twice :pac:

Silly question but who do I ring to see if penalty points are still in effect?

The RSA - 1890 41 61 41

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭wassie

Advanced speed camera tech has been in operation for quite some time. This article & video from the Independant in 2017 summarises it very well.
    The 50 plus speed vans can detect speeding from both the back and front of the vans and at night. Just because you didn't see a flash does not mean you were not caught!...
    The cameras can now detect speeding across five lanes, which means they can even detect speeding vehicles on the other side of a dual carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭tonytoc11

I've noticed a lot of the new Hyundai Tucsons sitting on slip roads of motorways recently and facing the traffic going away from them, so you wouldn't see it unless you look in your mirror.

Do the new fleet still need to stop you, or do they have a new system where they can take a picture of your reg (like the vans)?

Just for curiosity - if a council hasn't taken in charge a road yet, can penalty points be issued on it?

Dónal wrote: »
    Just for curiosity - if a council hasn't taken in charge a road yet, can penalty points be issued on it?

If it falls under definition for public place as defined by the road traffic act then yes:

“public place” means any street, road or other place to which the public have access with vehicles whether as of right or by permission and whether subject to or free of charge;

tonytoc11 wrote: »
    I've noticed a lot of the new Hyundai Tucsons sitting on slip roads of motorways recently and facing the traffic going away from them, so you wouldn't see it unless you look in your mirror.

Do the new fleet still need to stop you, or do they have a new system where they can take a picture of your reg (like the vans)?

Same question- the one I saw looked like a Toyota Hilux jobie on the M7- fair play to them but think I might have been 10km over the speed limit- guard was holding a handheld device of some description- but crouched down as if looking through a viewfinder-do they still have to chase you or do they have that camera technology now in non-vans?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,572 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Same question- the one I saw looked like a Toyota Hilux jobie on the M7- fair play to them but think I might have been 10km over the speed limit- guard was holding a handheld device of some description- but crouched down as if looking through a viewfinder-do they still have to chase you or do they have that camera technology now in non-vans?

If they don't come after you, you'll be fine. The only ones that capture images for later follow up are the vans

• Registered Users Posts: 28,572 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Was southbound on the M8 the other day and a few km before Fermoy, rounded a bend to see a red transit camera van hidden behind it. No markings and a single reflective stripe along the side.

One of the survey vans rather than enforcement vans right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Noticed a white van no markings on the side of the M50 yesterday, dunno if it was a speedo van or not as I thought they were all marked but I thought they werent allowed on Motorways with them as thats the job of the guards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Infini wrote: »
    Noticed a white van no markings on the side of the M50 yesterday, dunno if it was a speedo van or not as I thought they were all marked but I thought they werent allowed on Motorways with them as thats the job of the guards?

there are a few spots on motorways that are designated GoSafe locations, apparently as long as they are authorized by AGS, they are entitled to be there.
    If its a GoSafe van , it WILL be marked... unless its a survey van, which are unmarked and dont issue tickets..

However, a Garda ROBOT van may be unmarked.. and it can issue tickets

Advertisement