Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Hard Shoulder with Ivan Yates (interregnum)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

We're way off topic now!

I'd say we're about 6'6.5" off topic.

WRT to the show. I think Ivan may struggle with holding the show on his own 3hrs a day, 5 days a week. There is no counterbalance to his style which, while entertaining, I'm not sure if it has the capacity for the schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

What I liked about his weekend show was that there was so much packed into 2 hours.

Yesterday was all filler no killer.

I quite enjoyed Chris's show last Sunday. He hammered Finian McGrath over his vaccine blunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

WRT to the show. I think Ivan may struggle with holding the show on his own 3hrs a day, 5 days a week. There is no counterbalance to his style which, while entertaining, I'm not sure if it has the capacity for the schedule.

+1 on the above. I found it just "too much". Having Hook on is not exactly balance either!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

thought the presentation yesterday was very patchy. several times he completely messed up links, mumbled ends of sentences, or just seemed to lose his train of thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Did he always refer to himself in the 3rd person or is that an annoying trait he recently picked up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,320 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

George Hook and Ivan Yates on Newstalk for five hours a day is just painful. Would almost make you nostalgic for Eamon Keane.

Not a single comment on Tuesday's show...interesting.

I caught about 90mins of today's show. I can't quite put my finger on it but he's definitely struggling with the monologues, and other elements too. Despite what some say, I don't think he's strong enough to carry a full 3 hours on his own. He's looking more and more like a 1 trick pony every day.

everlast75 wrote: »
    Did he always refer to himself in the 3rd person or is that an annoying trait he recently picked up?

I don't recall him ding that previously but it is particularity annoying. Anyone who does that in my opinion always seems to have a over-inflated sense of self-importance...........I get the imperssion that a la Joe Duffy in RTE, and Hook in newstalk, there's no-one who says no to Ivan in Communicorp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Not a single comment on Tuesday's show...interesting.

I caught about 90mins of today's show. I can't quite put my finger on it but he's definitely struggling with the monologues, and other elements too. Despite what some say, I don't think he's strong enough to carry a full 3 hours on his own. He's looking more and more like a 1 trick pony every day.

I like Ivan - as a presenter, so I am hoping for the best.

I listened to a bit today - he mentioned something about The Hard Shoulder taking the best from The Right Hook and Drive. Wednesday's contribution to that was his Movies and TV slot.

It did nothing for me. I missed the names of the 2 contributors, but the movie reviewer was very monotone and uninspiring, and seriously, if the highlight of TV's viewing this week is Celebrity Operation Transformation, this is a slot to avoid :rolleyes:

juke wrote: »
    I like Ivan - as a presenter, so I am hoping for the best.

I listened to a bit today - he mentioned something about The Hard Shoulder taking the best from The Right Hook and Drive. Wednesday's contribution to that was his Movies and TV slot.

It did nothing for me. I missed the names of the 2 contributors, but the movie reviewer was very monotone and uninspiring, and seriously, if the highlight of TV's viewing this week is Celebrity Operation Transformation, this is a slot to avoid :rolleyes:

So did/do I - normally. This show has been a disappointment so far though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,571 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

So did/do I - normally. This show has been a disappointment so far though.

I caught a bit of it today.

Seems to me that's he's definitely been told to ease off on the winding people up.

There was a text that was just begging for him to start - wouldn't be surprised if it was deliberate - about women being directors or something and he just said "That's harsh" or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Ivan does need a foil. His shtick can get annoying if it is not balanced by someone more 'sober', like Claire Byrne in the early days or Chris more recently. Himself and Hook going on about the women wearing no bras at EP was verging on the creepy. It had shades of two old perves drooling at the mere sight of female flesh. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

thought the presentation yesterday was very patchy. several times he completely messed up links, mumbled ends of sentences, or just seemed to lose his train of thought.

He always needed Chris to keep him up to scratch. You always felt Chris had done his prep while Ivan was winging it. Just wonder how long his bluster will last before he is found out. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Five Green Bottles

Much to my disappointment as I like Ivan the highly anticipated show isn't going to last as it's going, he's being muzzled too much, even verging on political Ivan doing correctness. There's was too much of that on the Chris and Sarah drive show, if there's not a very quick intervention Mary Wilson will be lapping up the listener numbers. If this doesn't work out there's no one other Chris within newstalk who can pull it off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

even verging on political Ivan doing correctness. There's was too much of that on the Chris and Sarah drive show,

This is the thing, you just can't win. You had numerous people complaining about how other presenters express their views on something with the whinging about where's the impartiality?

Now when you have a presenter that people happen to enjoy when he expresses an opinion the complaints about the impartiality begin. Maybe everyone complaining to the station about presenters views have been taken into account, that would be brilliantly ironic.

It was mentioned above, I don't think his monologues work very well, they can even be a bit cringey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

everlast75 wrote: »

He's channeling Gay Byrne, so maybe he thinks its a mark of greatness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Heard a bit of this yesterday - a wife who wears the trousers and has kicked her husband into the spare room to separate beds. Don't particularly care for Ivan but in fairness, he addressed the human side of the issue to her and gave anecdotes of his own marital bed. Tabloid radio at end of the day, but I suppose they need listeners one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Silly show title.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Silly show title.

It is really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Heard a bit of this yesterday - a wife who wears the trousers and has kicked her husband into the spare room to separate beds. Don't particularly care for Ivan but in fairness, he addressed the human side of the issue to her and gave anecdotes of his own marital bed. Tabloid radio at end of the day, but I suppose they need listeners one way or the other.

I want to hear as much about Ivan's marital bed as I want to hear about Hook's itchy scroutom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Henry McKean going to be on the show later. The man has been wedged into every show over the last few months. How does he stay in newstalk and get paid. Surely a college/school intern could do his job

Ivan is a good heel, but he needs a straight guy/girl to play off of. Otherwise, it is quite tiresome hearing him try to be controversial when there is no one to contradict.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Ivan incredulous that you should wash your hands every time you use the bathroom ? Even men he asks ? The doctor is like .....eh ...yes! Oh I thought it was only if we used a cubicle.

Why on earth would he think that him having his lad in his hand would be perfectly fine in terms of hygiene?

Dirty fecker

Ivan incredulous that you should wash your hands every time you use the bathroom ? Even men he asks ? The doctor is like .....eh ...yes! Oh I thought it was only if we used a cubicle.

Why on earth would he think that him having his lad in his hand would be perfectly fine in terms of hygiene?

Dirty fecker

He is definitely the (kinda) new George Hook. He said people from Cork "NEVER" wash their hands after going to the loo. 100% serious!

I remember my lunch nearly came up when I heard that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Dirty fecker

Shure he was a farmer for years.

Dirty fecker
    Well, typical urine is sterile; not that I am advocating taking a wee on your fingers.

You're FAR more likely to transmit an infection by touching your saliva than having a small amount of urine on your fingers. I agree it's still pretty gross, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The Friday evening review is just another So you think you're an adult.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Vorenus400 wrote: »
    Henry McKean going to be on the show later. The man has been wedged into every show over the last few months. How does he stay in newstalk and get paid. Surely a college/school intern could do his job

This is the greatest load of nonsense I've ever read.

Whatever anyone thinks about Henry McKean, some of the reports he does involve extracting every bit of detail from random Joe Soaps on the streets.

Grab yourself a mic, find a topic, and go out and find people to talk about it. You'll find that you'll get about 20 people that will say no before anyone agrees to answer your questions. Not only that, that person could be the most boring in the world and give you one word answers.

So no, what Henry does actually involves a lot of time, patience and charm in order to get people to talk so openly.

And no, I'm not Henry, just find it hilarious that all the broadcasting experts in here think anybody could do what he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Liking the show but literally turn it off when Henry comes on. That twat needs to be shown the door very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Do I take it from the small number of posts that the show has failed to set the world alight? I find it hard going and usually change the dial.

Advertisement