Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf shoes??

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Bear in mind that no shoe remains waterproof if you don't treat them regularly.

What’s the best to treat them with to help keep them waterproof?
    I use a leather cleaner on mine but wouldn’t mind helping keep them waterproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Tilikum17 wrote:
    There’s a sale on the Nike store at the moment for some shoes. I know a pair I’ve been looking at for ages ‘lunar command 2 are €83 (usually €120)

Extra 20% off with NJOY20

Went for the nike lunar control 2 boa. Couldn't go wrong for the money 78 delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

Was stuck for a pair of winter golf shoes at the end of jan just so picked up a pair of Slazenger V100s from Sports Direct in store. They were around 50 euro and found them very comfy for the price. Noticed on Saturday that they have a bloody great crack where they bend when your walking, anyone any experience with Sport Direct. Surely no matter how cheap a pair of shoes are they should last more than 2 months and were not hacked?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

Glebee wrote: »
    Was stuck for a pair of winter golf shoes at the end of jan just so picked up a pair of Slazenger V100s from Sports Direct in store. They were around 50 euro and found them very comfy for the price. Noticed on Saturday that they have a bloody great crack where they bend when your walking, anyone any experience with Sport Direct. Surely no matter how cheap a pair of shoes are they should last more than 2 months and were not hacked?

50 euro for golf shoes is pretty cheap, I am not shocked they cracked. Did you keep your receipt? Sometimes there is a warranty for a year or so on waterproofing.

I paid more for my Sketcher Go Golf Pro shoes, but so far super comfortable and very dry with a full year of use including a lot of winter golf. They came with 1 year warranty also. I am not sure if that is manufacturer or McGuirks but the sales guy told me to hold onto my receipt for a year and if anything went wrong with them they would replace them.

• Advertisement

50 euro for golf shoes is pretty cheap, I am not shocked they cracked. Did you keep your receipt? Sometimes there is a warranty for a year or so on waterproofing.

I paid more for my Sketcher Go Golf Pro shoes, but so far super comfortable and very dry with a full year of use including a lot of winter golf. They came with 1 year warranty also. I am not sure if that is manufacturer or McGuirks but the sales guy told me to hold onto my receipt for a year and if anything went wrong with them they would replace them.

I know they were cheap and that why I bought them.:):):):)
    Needed a cheap pair as stand in for my Footjoys but surly 2 months (maybe 12 outings max) is talking the piss. I had actually started to wear the cheap pair more than the Fjs as I found them nicer for some reason...:o:o
    Paid by card so have a bank statement so will try to get a new pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Coming into warmer hopefully dryer weather now and I'm looking for a recommendation on comfortable pair of shoes. I've a pair of waterproof Callaway shoes that get very warm if it's not wet. Got them for about 60euro on sportsdirect actually, they've been great over the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

No shoe is as comfortable as the Skechers IMO. I've tried a few other but the skechers are in a league of their own for comfort. Waterproof as well - unless you are walking in long wet grass a lot, as unfortunately I have to do during most rounds looking for a ball :(

My pair have split along the sole at one side though after about 12 months use. They are still perfectly usable but I would have expected them to last a bit longer. Having said that, I will be getting a new pair of Skechers as the comfort is insane.

davegilly wrote: »
    No shoe is as comfortable as the Skechers IMO. I've tried a few other but the skechers are in a league of their own for comfort. Waterproof as well - unless you are walking in long wet grass a lot, as unfortunately I have to do during most rounds looking for a ball :(

My pair have split along the sole at one side though after about 12 months use. They are still perfectly usable but I would have expected them to last a bit longer. Having said that, I will be getting a new pair of Skechers as the comfort is insane.

Sketchers are unreal alright comfort wise, nothing comes close imo as well

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Any particular type of sketchers or are they all similar?

Seems to be a big variance in the prices.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The secret to your shoes not falling apart is to have more than one pair and to alternate them to allow them to dry fully.
    Even when the course is dry your feet will wet the shoes from the inside and you need to allow them to dry.

You also need to clean and ideally apply some sort of polish/conditioner to them to help them last and not crack. Cracking comes from being brittle due to how they dried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Redriddick wrote: »
    Went for the nike lunar control 2 boa. Couldn't go wrong for the money 78 delivered
    How are those going for you? Interested in getting them myself and would appreciate a review of how they've worked out after six months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Just an FYI. it might have been posted here before so apologies if it has but it's worth having a look in Tk Maxx if your looking for golf shoes. First time i'd seen golf shoes in tk maxx. I spotted these last week. They were €69.99

Sorry can't get the pic working. anyway they were Ecco cool gore tex golf shoes. retailing in most places for about €200

Raging that they were too small for me.

Sports Direct replaced them. Any tips to help stop these going the same way? Although hopefully ill be wearing my summer golf shoes a bit more now.

Sports Direct replaced them. Any tips to help stop these going the same way? Although hopefully ill be wearing my summer golf shoes a bit more now.
    Dubbin is good for waterproofing, but not 100% for preventing drying out and cracking. I've heard petroleum jelly (vaseline) is good for keeping leather supple. I'm assuming they're leather which is possibly an incorrect assumption.

Edit: Looked them up there and yes, they are synthetic uppers. Might still try the vaseline approach, but you'd know immediately if the material is absorbing it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,774 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Coming into warmer hopefully dryer weather now and I'm looking for a recommendation on comfortable pair of shoes. I've a pair of waterproof Callaway shoes that get very warm if it's not wet. Got them for about 60euro on sportsdirect actually, they've been great over the winter

I bought a pair of Footjoy DNA for around €110 at the start of last year. Really good shoe and held up very well so far.

Probably going to get a pair of Footjoy Flex for the summer this year. Look to be a nice light breathable shoe and use the DNAs for the wet days then.

prawnsambo wrote:
    How are those going for you? Interested in getting them myself and would appreciate a review of how they've worked out after six months or so.

Have to say I'm impressed. Going great, played every Sunday since I got em more or less. Comfy enough and keep out the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

how do people find the sketchers fit? looking for new shoes and these seem to be the most popular for comfort

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

slingerz wrote: »
    how do people find the sketchers fit? looking for new shoes and these seem to be the most popular for comfort

+1 for most comfortable shoes on the market, bar none.

+1 for most comfortable shoes on the market, bar none.
    Totally agree. I only paid €79 in a clearance for new stock. Had FootJoys before that and they were comfy but the Skechers are in a different league of comfort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pixied

I've just bought some FJ Embody, with the FJ white wax tin for upkeep.

Does it help to treat or use some kind of protector spray on the shoes before first use?

If so, any recommendations?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

I have 3 pairs on the go, black speith 2 UA for the winter, very comfortable and very waterproof.

A white pair of footjoy dryjoy tour and a new pair of all black Nike Lunar Control Vapor 2 for the summer.

Last summer used the footjoy dryjoy but were too heavy and hot in the summer so hoping the Nike help me out, got a great price on ebay for a pair.€40.

Pixied wrote: »
    I've just bought some FJ Embody, with the FJ white wax tin for upkeep.

Does it help to treat or use some kind of protector spray on the shoes before first use?

If so, any recommendations?

Thanks.
    If they are leather uppers, dubbin is great for waterproofing. But I've also heard that vaseline is excellent for keeping the leather supple. The problem is that modern central heated houses will dry out the leather over time and that's exacerbated by getting wet and then drying out which leaches the oils from the leather. If you warm the shoes up first with a hairdryer, you'll get better absorption of the wax or vaseline.

I always put mine on a radiator when I get home to dry them properly. That's probably why the split!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Panrich

I have an old pair of Etonic golf shoes that have always been my go to for comfort. I've had several others but always go back to these again.

Redriddick wrote: »
    Have to say I'm impressed. Going great, played every Sunday since I got em more or less. Comfy enough and keep out the rain.
    I ordered a pair, but had to exchange them for a pair of Adidas Adipower boost instead. The Nikes were far too tight around my foot - not a Boa problem, just generally, so they weren't for me. Just a heads up for anyone else buying Nike; the sizing is larger than standard. I take size 8, but Nike would be 7.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Any thoughts on spiked vs spikeless?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I'll let you know after the weekend. :)

I like the idea of spikeless. Easier to clean and certainly shouldn't matter in the summer. The pros seem to be going that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Spikeless for me in the summer playing on links. Use spiked oct-march purely for safety and added robustness/waterproofing.

If I'd a choice I'd wear spikeless all year. Pros don't see much rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I don't think I will ever buy spikes again. When the grass is wet they tend to clog up and have no grip.
    Spikeless are easy to clean and provide enough grip in most conditions. Most shoes only last 2 seasons and are usually leaking by the time the spikes are worn out.

Advertisement