Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Still getting used to it. I can get most Irish radio even weird local ones but cant get it to play newstalk (keep getting young Turks) . I hv Spotify premium and works brill but cant get Alexa to play my playlists , anyone else this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Still getting used to it. I can get most Irish radio even weird local ones but cant get it to play newstalk (keep getting young Turks) . I hv Spotify premium and works brill but cant get Alexa to play my playlists , anyone else this issue?

Playlists work fine for me although I remember re-naming a couple of them as their names were too generic.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ThomasAlan

I couldn't get Alexa to play a playlist called "Thumbs Up". When I renamed the playlist to "Favourites", Alexa could play it. Maybe try renaming your playlist to something that Alexa might find easier to pick up?

ThomasAlan wrote: »
    I couldn't get Alexa to play a playlist called "Thumbs Up". When I renamed the playlist to "Favourites", Alexa could play it. Maybe try renaming your playlist to something that Alexa might find easier to pick up?

What phrase do u use for playlist?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ThomasAlan

"Alexa, play my Favourites playlist"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭Glebee

My Amazon Dot order was refunded to me this morning as undeliverable. :(
    I feel sad.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I just say "Alexa play xxx"

eg I have one called Music for Dogs that I turn on when I leave the dog on her own, I just say "Alexa play Music for dogs"

The odd time I include Playlist, but mostly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok picking up my Echo and Dot this weekend. Echo is going downstairs and the dot is going upstairs. Also collecting Philips Hue Starter kit and have 2 HS100 wemo sockets. May get the Philips Go depending on what I can carry home and afford

So I want the Echo and the Dot to control  everything. I will be putting the Hue bulbs downstairs * 2 and one in the bedroom. I have the sockets on the xmas tree and then one on the lamp and put the Go upstairs as bedside lamp. So do I have to rename things different. So sockets are named as xmas and lamp. Will I be able to create a group of say  downstairs and then get the Echo to turn everything off downstairs but still have the option of saying turn lamp on/ off turn xmas tree off. Same goes for the Dot

Have a premium Spotify account and also want to have TuneInRadio on both the Echo and dot so can listen to online stations. Is it a case of just saying the name of station ie Camden FM, 8 Radio??

Any suggestions how and what I should start off when I start unboxing them and setting them up?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Orion wrote: »
    Once spotify is set as default you can just tell it to play without saying on spotify.
    Orion wrote: »
    You get the local skills. E.g. british news (bbc, guardian etc) and can play spotify without specifying on spotify.

I've a UK account and I find it only works 50% of the time. It seems to depend completely on what you are asking it.

I find it very annoying when it doesn't work, you I just always say "on spotify" now.
    Have a premium Spotify account and also want to have TuneInRadio on both the Echo and dot so can listen to online stations. Is it a case of just saying the name of station ie Camden FM, 8 Radio??

Any suggestions how and what I should start off when I start unboxing them and setting them up?

Radio stations are a bit hit and miss, they may or may not work by voice. Worst case scenario just use the app to start them.

Just plug in, set up and start playing with it. Pretty easy to get the basics going.

Maybe start with Spotify, as it works very well and is a good way to show it off. Then go for the Hue lights, pretty easy to set up. I'd leave the tunein radio to last as it can be the most frustrating part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I find that Spotify always works - I set up playlists and just say "Alexa play playlistname playlist" and it works. Any artist or genre I've tried works too.

As for Tunein - don't listen to a lot of radio but apart from RTE 1 and 2 it seems good. Today I told it to play Cork 96FM and it found it no problem on Tunein.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 echo_one

I got the Amazon Echo yesterday and the alexa desktop app (via browser) kept redirecting me to alexa.amazon.com rather than keeping me on alexa.amazon.co.uk

turned out my account with amazon was initially created on amazon.com

I contact amazon support via their chat and they resolved

then while trying to register the echo, I was kept getting this error 10:2:12:3:1

again amazon support were amazing. They registered the echo for me and then all was set up.

The issues I have with tunein is that is doesn't recognise RTE Radio 1. I can get RTE Lyric FM by stating 'Alexa play lyric fm on tunein'

on the Alexa desktop app, I've created tunein favourites. one of them being RTE Radio 1. But Alexa doesn't seem to accept voice instructions to play a favourite station. Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

echo_one wrote: »
    I got the Amazon Echo yesterday and the alexa desktop app (via browser) kept redirecting me to alexa.amazon.com rather than keeping me on alexa.amazon.com

then while trying to register the echo, I was kept getting this error 10:2:12:3:1

again amazon support were amazing. They registered the echo for me and then all was set up.

The issues I have with tunein is that is doesn't recognise RTE Radio 1. I can get RTE Lyric FM by stating 'Alexa play lyric fm on tunein'

on the Alexa desktop app, I've created tunein favourites. one of them being RTE Radio 1. But Alexa doesn't seem to accept voice instructions to play a favourite station. Anyone know?

I get no joy with RTE Radio 1, unless I specifically ask for "88.5FM RTE Radio 1". Works fine then.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

echo_one wrote: »
    I got the Amazon Echo yesterday and the alexa desktop app (via browser) kept redirecting me to alexa.amazon.com rather than keeping me on alexa.amazon.com

Have you tried 'Alexa play RTE Radio 1, Dublin Ireland on TuneIn'?
    I haven't, but usually resolves my Irish radio selection problems.

@krusty_clown, still won't work for me. thanks though

@alastair, thanks. still won't work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Alexa will now pick radio stations for me without having to add 'on Tunein'. Indeed if I say "play 88.5 RTE Radio One", she will confirm back to me saying "now playing 88.5 RTE Radio One on Tunein". Similarly if I ask for one of the BBC radio stations, I don't have to specifically say "on Tunein" but she will confirm the selection referencing the source.

The only station I still can't get is 2FM. Does anyone know what the official frequency of the station is?? I assume that is the key in getting it to work.

From here the frequencies on the Three Rock transmitter are:
    Three Rock Auxiliary/Main Transmitter
    RTE1: 88.5
    2FM: 90.7
    RnaG: 92.9
    Lyric: 96.7

Could someone with current access to an echo try "play 90.7 RTE 2FM" or "play 90.7 2FM"?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

How in gods name do I stop my echo from giving me the weather in Le-Son?
    Driving me insane.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Driving me insane.

Say: "What is the weather in Dublin/Cork/etc." you need to specify the city.

Driving me insane.

My bucket list now includes visiting Le-Son, thank you Alexa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

My bucket list now includes visiting Le-Son, thank you Alexa.

You'll have to let us know how the weather is.

• Advertisement

You'll have to let us know how the weather is.

You know what will happen. I'll get to Le-Son, turn on Alexa and ask "Alexa?what is the weather like in Le-Son?" ....""the weather in castlebar is 4 degrees and cloudy"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Any other tips for a new user?
    Is there any way for it to play music from a network drive?
    Have the radio stations working ok.
    I don't have a Spotify premium account.Dont have a prime account.

Is it time to think about either / or both of the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,970 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Any other tips for a new user?
    Is there any way for it to play music from a network drive?
    Have the radio stations working ok.
    I don't have a Spotify premium account.Dont have a prime account.

Is it time to think about either / or both of the above?

You get can 'Amazon Music for Echo' for round a fiver a month AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

You can also get Spotify premium cheaply if you team up with a couple of others and buy the 'family' deal - find the thread on bargain alerts; €2.50 a month. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057655713

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

iPhone Alexa App setup in Ireland.

Hey guys, before i get flamed i did a bunch of reading but no joy..... sorry in advance for long post.

Friend of mine bought an Echo but having difficulties getting app installed. Tried switching Apple account location to UK or US but its looking for credit card details registered in US or UK... rejecting ROI cards. Tried setting paymemt option on account to NONE amd then switching but it looks like UK/US doesnt have that option and again looks for a card... back to square 1.

Tried creating a new AppleID with no payment option against US/UK (tried both) and logged into it on phone... back to square 1, US/UK registered card.

How to install Alexa app on iPhone.. all help appreciated. Have Android myself and it was a doddle... appreciate it gurus ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

kennM wrote: »
    iPhone Alexa App setup in Ireland.

Hey guys, before i get flamed i did a bunch of reading but no joy..... sorry in advance for long post.

Friend of mine bought an Echo but having difficulties getting app installed. Tried switching Apple account location to UK or US but its looking for credit card details registered in US or UK... rejecting ROI cards. Tried setting paymemt option on account to NONE amd then switching but it looks like UK/US doesnt have that option and again looks for a card... back to square 1.

Tried creating a new AppleID with no payment option against US/UK (tried both) and logged into it on phone... back to square 1, US/UK registered card.

How to install Alexa app on iPhone.. all help appreciated. Have Android myself and it was a doddle... appreciate it gurus ;)

When you are in the UK App Store log out of your account. You will still be in the U.K. Store. Go to download the free Echo app and it will ask you to log in or set up a new account. Set up a new account, don't use your current one. It won't ask for payment details as you are setting up a new account and trying to get a free app.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

App is very handy... for shopping lists, to-do lists etc. I have one myself and got it sorted on Android, iPhone is a pain in the ****s.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭corvus4906

Trying to install an echo today for a friend who got it in the states....having issues maybe someone can give a hand with.... I sideloaded the Echo App to their android phone via an APK (as you can't get the app here in Ireland)

App installed fine and i could log into their Amazon account without issue....but i get stuck at the activation screen:

403602.jpeg

it just keeps spinning for hours. Any ideas what to do?

Edit: Apologies for the large screenshot image - woops.

Advertisement