Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Writers' Bloc - Creative Writing Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Nobody sends me any bookywooks :(

:'(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

bluewolf wrote: »
    ah no i will have a look over them dont worry
    might be tomorrow night at this rate

No rush by any means, rushing in this game seems to be impossible with the dreaded publisher wait always present. Feels like an age since I submitted my stuff, but it's just barely two months, with a quoted minimum wait of two months. Damn. I need the rejection letter to add to my collection!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

how long did they take you to write

how long did they take you to write

Hmmm... book 1 started well, but I only really wrote with a full moon, so, a few months for the first 6 or 7 chapters. Then it kinda died. Girlfriend at the time was less than enthusiastic. Then I moved to Germany and suddenly found loads of time to write. Maybe two years for book one.

Then book two was never getting off the ground until I gave the first book to a classmate who absolutely loved it, spurring me on to do book two. Think book two took a year, though it still needs some tweaks and two extra chapters, but I'm getting feeback before I make the changes, just to gauge how much I need to correct certain elements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭cobsie

I finally managed to finish writing a chapter after two months of putting it off.

how'd you get back into it after two months?

I'm like a seized-up engine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

After reading so many stories these last few weeks I forced myself to sit down with a pencil and try writing anything at all and not worry about the whole bigger issue.

Last night, I dreamt up a well worked, coherant plot for a chick-lit novel.

I feel so dirty :'(

Good title.

Antilles wrote: »
    Last night, I dreamt up a well worked, coherant plot for a chick-lit novel.

I feel so dirty :'(

If it's anything like Bridesmaids then I'm fully on-board!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Fewcifur wrote: »
    If it's anything like Bridesmaids then I'm fully on-board!

i heard that's good

• Advertisement

i heard that's good

I laughed so hard, so very hard, I even got to the point where I was slapping my leg and gasping for air.

Not unlike...

TWO semis are up if anyone's still following that.

Do you reckon rotten (cooked) chicken meat would be juicy or dry?

i dont want to reckon anything about rotten chicken...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Only one way to find out...

Juicy, but in the bad way.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CD.

Juicy, but in the bad way.
    i would say juicy in a bad way too, BUT, in saying that it depends on how it rotted. was it rotting in a dryish enviorment? could it have rotted and dried out or was it just normal/in the fridge. you could always take some raw chicken and seal it in a bag in your fridge for a week or two, if its rotting, give it a poke and see how it feels, then throw it away.

also how is it cooked? fresh, juicy (in a good way) chicken can still be cooked until it's dried out.

Speaking of cooking, I just made cookie batter. now I just have to wait a while for the batter to firm up in the fridge then those bastards are goin to the over. Mwahahaha.

Did you know you can let cookies age and it makes them taste better? yeah, i think its kinda gross too, but 3 days in the fridge to allow it all to meld together makes them nicer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭cobsie

i know from experience...it's juicy. and unbelievably stinky. that's what you should focus on - the ****ing god-awful smell. retch-inducing, doesn't matter who you are. rotting flesh makes you wanna puke. it's probably a fairly healthy survival mechanism, come to think of it...

Cool. Bad-juicy, crawling with maggots and stinking to high heaven was what I was aiming for. I couldn't bring myself to do the research :D

Is this for a story, or are you planning on doing something really horrible to someone?

• Advertisement

Is this for a story, or are you planning on doing something really horrible to someone?

first the latter then the former :pac:

Just something I'm putting in place as part of the upcoming Variations on a Fear Factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I like that idea. It might get a bit grubby, but it'd definitely be something a little different.

Blush_01 wrote: »
    I like that idea. It might get a bit grubby, but it'd definitely be something a little different.

Cool, I was actually re-reading a passage earlier and thinking I needed more synonyms for 'maggot'.

i have poems stuck in my head and they wont come out :mad:

Your own ones or someone else's?

Mine :) they refuse to be written
    Well one does; the other is getting there

Wow, how jolly stubborn of them

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CD.

Beat them into submission!

Or you could let them fester until the binding holding them become to weak and they fall out onto the page.

But both don't sound pleasant.

I sat down to write, started writing, everything is going well. Then next thing I know I'm playing with a fog-machine gun that makes pew pew noises when you fire it to make smoke rings. I am now, officially, done with everything else for the day.

• Advertisement

i have poems stuck in my head and they wont come out :mad:

Have you tried poking a stick in your ear? It might knock them loose.

Advertisement