Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Writers' Bloc - Creative Writing Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

writers block is fine then!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

or Bloc?

Little Thread Writing Hood?

Bloc, yes.

The second thing no.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CD.

Your short stories are the number 1 (or 2) downloaded free thing on Amazon :eek:

I definitely have to grab a copy.

they're number 1/2 in the short story subsection, and 112 overall last time i checked.

thank you for all the congradulations :)
    when i first published it i was thinking if it gets ten downloads i will be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

CD. wrote: »
    when i first published it i was thinking if it gets ten downloads i will be happy

That's what I would be like. Still have to get something decent worth uploading. I was planning on doing a book of short stories on Death, just after my lil The Arena adventures. Could be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

BTW this thread title sucks, and I'm not gone on Antilles' suggestion either. Moar ideas!

Um, what suggestion would that be?

• Advertisement

it is very gratifying to know that people enjoy reading your work on a slightly larger scale.

though covers are a right pain in the bollocks but a good cover can do wonders.
    I used to do paper cuttings (don't really know what you call it, silhouetted scenes cut into paper with a scalpel) and settled on one i did of some trees and their roots for the cover after soem tweaking in a free photoshop type program.

it's my 3rd cover two. I liked the second one but it looked crappy, the idea was good but the execution was poor.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Antilles wrote: »
    Um, what suggestion would that be?

Whatever one you were about to come up with. It's rubbish.

Ok, I admit I can't actually read and just take a best guess at who writes what based on the username's initial.

Whatever one you were about to come up with. It's rubbish.

Ok, I admit I can't actually read and just take a best guess at who writes what based on the username's initial.

Can't spell either based on "Wrtiers' Bloc" - or was that deliberate?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Can't spell either based on "Wrtiers' Bloc" - or was that deliberate?

he's just trying to get me to start twitching again :pac:

bluewolf wrote: »
    he's just trying to get me to start twitching again :pac:

Hah! Good job Pickarooney :D If I had known spelling was yuor ting I wud harv madde moor of a efford.

• Advertisement

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Hah! Good job Pickarooney :D If I had known spelling was yuor ting I wud harv madde moor of a efford.

doesn't work if it's obviously typos or deliberate
    (so i was joking earlier...)
    :pac:

Nobody is voting in Total Write Off. This is most disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I read one pair last night.
    I'll try and do the others tonight. :)

bluewolf wrote: »
    doesn't work if it's obviously typos or deliberate
    (so i was joking earlier...)
    :pac:

So you mean if I went back and re-wrote my novels and filled them with subtle typos... you'd go mental? Nice :cool:
    Nobody is voting in Total Write Off. This is most disturbing.

I'll read them all on Friday. Don't have the time nor focus today.

We're getting into story fatigue territory I think. It would be nice to have a few new members swing by and give some feedback.

Has anyone ever made a piñata?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

So what's the worst idea you've ever heard?
    There are no terrible ideas...just misplaced ones

We're getting into story fatigue territory I think. It would be nice to have a few new members swing by and give some feedback.

Has anyone ever made a piñata?

Never made one before but now I kinda want to make one for my 21st birthday. already having jello shots, have to think of an interesting display for them though. last year they were in hulled out fruit skins so they looked like wedges of fruit.

Also, has anyone written under the influence of anything? (alcohol, drugs)
    if so how did it turn out? only ever written twice while drunk, both times in the past few weeks, though I was probably closer to tipsy than drunk.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I wrote a blog entry last week while I was still quite drunk. Fortunately I saved it as a draft instead of pressing "publish". I was able to go back and revise it earlier this week. Somewhat ironically, I turned it into an anti-binge drinking essay!

Never made one before but now I kinda want to make one for my 21st birthday. already having jello shots, have to think of an interesting display for them though. last year they were in hulled out fruit skins so they looked like wedges of fruit.

if so how did it turn out? only ever written twice while drunk, both times in the past few weeks, though I was probably closer to tipsy than drunk.

very rarely drink and never do drugs so... no :)

Many's a time. Absolutely brilliant stuff, though curiously only really appreciable by returning to the state in which I was when I wrote it. ;)

Actually, it's incredibly hard to read, let alone write, on a lot of drugs but if you can remember the experience you can sometimes turn it into something readable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I think Charles Bukowski used to write under the influence a lot, and often wouldn't remember having written anything the next day. Worked for him, but then he was pissed all the time anyway.

"Write drunk, edit sober." -Hemmingway

I write my best stuff while drunk. I once atook a field trip to Amsterdam and tried writing on weed but I kept falling asleep.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

"Write drunk, edit sober." -Hemmingway

Wasn't he noted for writing under the influence of absinthe?

It was more like absinthe writing under the influence of Hemmingway, I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭cobsie

Not exactly sure what this whole thread is about, but I'm liking it...

writing on drugs...it's a myth. You can never actually write creatively on drugs. But it's useful for unblocking and thinking laterally (and blotting out the feeling of failure...) the trick is to remember what the **** you were thinking about!

I'm sure it depends on the person. Mind you, I don't take drugs of any sort (other than caffeine, which I find an excellent writing aid), so perhaps I'm not qualified to judge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭cobsie

Kinski wrote: »
    I think Charles Bukowski used to write under the influence a lot, and often wouldn't remember having written anything the next day. Worked for him, but then he was pissed all the time anyway.

Woke up this morning and it seemed to me,
    that every night turns out to be
    a little bit more like Bukowski.
    And yeah, I know he's a pretty good read,
    But God, who'd wanna be...
    God, who'd wanna be such an asshole?

[modest mouse]

cobsie wrote: »
    Not exactly sure what this whole thread is about, but I'm liking it...

writing on drugs...it's a myth. You can never actually write creatively on drugs. But it's useful for unblocking and thinking laterally (and blotting out the feeling of failure...) the trick is to remember what the **** you were thinking about!

It definitely depends on the writer, cobsie. Lots of artists create great art while intoxicated on one substance or another. It can be much easier to block your internal editor if he's passed out on the floor while you write.

• Advertisement

I just had a great VOATish idea (although once the mescaline wears off it might sound stupid). Basically, take a simple outline and write a load of versions each as though high on something different. No extra points for 'method writing' as that kind of thing has to be discouraged.

Advertisement