Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner DJs Guide to DJ Equipment

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I bought a logitech laptop backpack in argos a while back for €50 - way better and cheaper than most of the others I looked at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

You reckon that would be big enough? The Mixtrack is 18.75" x 11.5" x 2.5". Seems pointless carrying two bags everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A 17" bag might fit it at a stretch. I'd look for a nice big satchel if I was you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Spaky12Eyes

Ok so I just need a bit of advice. I'm about to purchase a Behringer B-Control Deejay BC2000 off a friend for €65. I'm just starting out djing and am wondering if this will be suitable? What sort of soundcard will I need to get? I have seen them for €10 on pixmania.ie and am wondering if this will be suitable for a bedroom dj? I have speakers that connect through the headphone socket. Quick reply would be appreciated cos I need to let him know by tomorrow!

Thanks, Luke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭mossy464

I have a set of CDJ 1000 MK3s atm but a really ****ty mixer that I had lying around.

Only got the decks but in the hunt for a proper mixer.

Would love a DJM 800 but too pricey, then was thinking maybe second hand DJM 600 but is that a bit dated?

Also, last night on this thread I came across the DDM 4000 by Behringer and was surprised to hear such good things about it since all of the bad things I have heard about the rest of their gear.

Would the DDM be a good buy?

Also, how is the DJM 700 in relation to the 800?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Cianh

mossy464 wrote: »
    I have a set of CDJ 1000 MK3s atm but a really ****ty mixer that I had lying around.

Only got the decks but in the hunt for a proper mixer.

Would love a DJM 800 but too pricey, then was thinking maybe second hand DJM 600 but is that a bit dated?

Also, last night on this thread I came across the DDM 4000 by Behringer and was surprised to hear such good things about it since all of the bad things I have heard about the rest of their gear.

Would the DDM be a good buy?

Also, how is the DJM 700 in relation to the 800?

If you are looking at the djm 700 then you sould give the Allen & Heath xone 42 a look too its cheaper on thomann (€689) http://www.thomann.de/ie/allenheath_xone_42_black.htm?sid=31870b07d801a2d615d2a57fcb658cd9
    and from what I've read their mixers are way better than pioneers, i'm in the same situation as yourself, waiting till i can afford the xone 42. Ive never even seen one never mind used one so I cant give any more detail, but a lot of the lads on here seem to rate them very highly.

I'm thinking of getting an effects unit soon, can anyone recommend the best? pioneer efx?? of one of the korg kaoss pads or kaosillators? or something else completely, this is just for use with decks, at home.

Cheers
    Cian.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Have a Kaoss a few months, still not worked out how to use it:rolleyes:

ED E wrote: »
    Have a Kaoss a few months, still not worked out how to use it:rolleyes:

Ha Ha, i'll take it off ya and try figure it out if you want :)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

I have read the sticky and think the hercules RMX will do he job i want it for, just disco bar gigs.
    I have always used 1210's but have to use a USB DJ controller of some kind, im living on Oz now and know sweet fook all about them....

Im assuming this has a built in sound card and i can mix with one tune in my headphones and one tune going to the PA in the pub?
    So how does it connect up, USB to controller and headphones out of my laptop headphone jack?
    Then just RCA into the mixer that is set up in the pub, is it that simple or am i missing something?!

Laptop is an Asus K53SC

http://www.asus.com.au/Notebooks/Versatile_Performance/K53SC/#specifications

Or is there much between that model and the HERCULES DJ 4 SET?

Thanks for any info

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

My DjTechTools VCI-100SE & Native Instruments Audio 2 DJ has been collecting dust for ages - If anyone wants to make me a decent offer for it I might pass it on...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 liamduffy1994

I started with a macbook, a second hand Hercules E2 controller than set me back 45 quid and a numark DJ-IO, Anyone wanting to start out using a laptop, make sure the laptop is high spec and very reliable if your going to be playing live. You WILL need a good Soundcard, the jack in your laptop will not do! But a good soundcard can be bought for about 40 beans so no major expense.
    Now I have a MBP, a Traktor S4 with the flightcase and my own sound and lighting.
    My advice is start small, build your way up! CD decks are a good way to start, you learn most of the basics and they are alot cheaper nowadays with so many going digital.

I started with a macbook, a second hand Hercules E2 controller than set me back 45 quid and a numark DJ-IO, Anyone wanting to start out using a laptop, make sure the laptop is high spec and very reliable if your going to be playing live. You WILL need a good Soundcard, the jack in your laptop will not do! But a good soundcard can be bought for about 40 beans so no major expense.
    Now I have a MBP, a Traktor S4 with the flightcase and my own sound and lighting.
    My advice is start small, build your way up! CD decks are a good way to start, you learn most of the basics and they are alot cheaper nowadays with so many going digital.

I have read the sticky and think the hercules RMX will do he job i want it for, just disco bar gigs.
    I have always used 1210's but have to use a USB DJ controller of some kind, im living on Oz now and know sweet fook all about them....

Im assuming this has a built in sound card and i can mix with one tune in my headphones and one tune going to the PA in the pub?
    So how does it connect up, USB to controller and headphones out of my laptop headphone jack?
    Then just RCA into the mixer that is set up in the pub, is it that simple or am i missing something?!

Laptop is an Asus K53SC

http://www.asus.com.au/Notebooks/Versatile_Performance/K53SC/#specifications

Or is there much between that model and the HERCULES DJ 4 SET?

Thanks for any info

Generally Controllers with a built in Soundcard have a headphone jack in them along with a mic jack, You wouldnt use the laptops jack as then you would be using the Hercules IO and the Laptops internal IO for the same tracks which isn't really possible. That is a nice controller though, Its metal I believe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Zascar wrote: »
    My DjTechTools VCI-100SE & Native Instruments Audio 2 DJ has been collecting dust for ages - If anyone wants to make me a decent offer for it I might pass it on...
    If still available, how much were you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Forde_1

Hi Guys,

Just starting out DJ'ing and to be honest i'm complete novice when it comes to equipment so could do with yer help!:confused: Just bought pair of 400w-800w peak 8 Ohm speakers but i'm unsure on what size amp I need, any recommendations? I have been looking at amps online but i'm unsure on what i need to match the speakers. For a mixer I have the Hercules RMX in mind! Its all fairly low budget just to get up and running and get few gigs if things go well I can look into upgrading the equipment! The aim is to do it all digital using Virtual DJ to start.

All help will be appreciated!

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

Is looking to finally invest again in some equipment.

Looking at this to begin with: http://www.thomann.de/ie/native_instruments_traktor_kontrol_s2.htm

Yay or Nay?

Heavily considering the Vinyl route so I could learn the basics the way they should be learned, and I would really love to go down it, but at the moment money is a factor and 2 turntables, a mixer and then records on top of that is just a bit too much for me at the minute.

Any thoughts and help is appreciated. In a nutshell I'm just looking for something to help learn the basics and have some fun with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

Eddie Ere wrote: »
    Is looking to finally invest again in some equipment.

Looking at this to begin with: http://www.thomann.de/ie/native_instruments_traktor_kontrol_s2.htm

Yay or Nay?

Heavily considering the Vinyl route so I could learn the basics the way they should be learned, and I would really love to go down it, but at the moment money is a factor and 2 turntables, a mixer and then records on top of that is just a bit too much for me at the minute.

Any thoughts and help is appreciated. In a nutshell I'm just looking for something to help learn the basics and have some fun with.

If you're just looking to have some fun and learn the basics, €400 is a bit of a splash IMO. You could get 2 technics and a mixer for that. And you'd be surprised how quickly you'd accumulate some records too. Even if it's just 1/2 a week or whatever. Maybe have 1 less pint a week and you almost have the cost of a record (Dublin prices anyway). I started collecting records about 6/8 months ago and I've about 125 now, but I've picked them up in drips and drabs. The odd splurge when I have the cash but mostly in small numbers.

If you want to do it on the cheap I'd recommend something second hand. A VCI or an Xponent or something like that. Check adverts or alternatively I've seen a few around here mentioning that they they have controllers they aren't using (mine just went in to the back of the wardrobe this week).

ianuss wrote: »
    If you're just looking to have some fun and learn the basics, €400 is a bit of a splash IMO. You could get 2 technics and a mixer for that. And you'd be surprised how quickly you'd accumulate some records too. Even if it's just 1/2 a week or whatever. Maybe have 1 less pint a week and you almost have the cost of a record (Dublin prices anyway). I started collecting records about 6/8 months ago and I've about 125 now, but I've picked them up in drips and drabs. The odd splurge when I have the cash but mostly in small numbers.

If you want to do it on the cheap I'd recommend something second hand. A VCI or an Xponent or something like that. Check adverts or alternatively I've seen a few around here mentioning that they they have controllers they aren't using (mine just went in to the back of the wardrobe this week).

I've been looking about for Technics but I can't find anything in that price range, have mainly seen 1210s second hand. Any recommendation on something similar?

What do you reckon on these 2 turntables?

http://www.adverts.ie/turntables/turntables-stanton-t62x/1328249

Used to own an Xponent, wasn't too impressed, bit too flimsy for my liking plus it has to be mapped to work with Traktor (I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

Eddie Ere wrote: »
    I've been looking about for Technics but I can't find anything in that price range, have mainly seen 1210s second hand. Any recommendation on something similar?

What do you reckon on these 2 turntables?

http://www.adverts.ie/turntables/turntables-stanton-t62x/1328249

Used to own an Xponent, wasn't too impressed, bit too flimsy for my liking plus it has to be mapped to work with Traktor (I think).

I wouldn't be able to give any advice on turntables, sorry. Try googling the make and model with review in the search and you should be able to get a handle on what it is you're looking at. Alternatively, maybe some others here might be able to help.

I just had a quick look an adverts there and it does seem as if prices are a bit high for people selling their Technics. But when I was looking prices were a fair bit lower. I've heard a few people picking up sets for ~€400 (Electrogrimey I think was one) so I'd be going with that sort of price as a good estimate. Email the sellers and offer them cash, you never know what some people will end up accepting. The 'selling price' and 'sold price' are often miles apart.

• Advertisement

Cheers Ian, I know the 1210s are no longer in production so that might have something to do with the price hike. I'm gonna keep an eye out anyway, hopefully I may get lucky.

Or if anyone else happens to be getting rid of an s2 I'd gladly take it off your hands...

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭theaaao

Any beginner DJ's or others check out my ad please.
    Thanks
    http://www.adverts.ie/1368944

Ok Folks, in terms of Turntables what should I be looking for (defect wise) in a pair of second hand 1210s?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Some Annoying Defects:
    • Pins in the tonearm not springing back cleanly/black with carbon from arc-ing
    • No target light
    • No rubber seal around counterweight
    • Missing Feet (yes I know, that obvious)
    • Missing counterweight
    • Tonearm locking mechanism (plastic on mid-tonearm) broken
    • Tonearm height lock (metal on base) jammed
    • Broken anti-skate
    • Missing 45 adapter
    • Start/Stop button not springing up cleanly
    • Misplaced 0-point on fader
    • Fader not calibrated (watch the strobe lights)
    • Bad/broken ground wire
    • Bad/broken RCA cables
    • Loose tonearm housing
    Some Critical Defects:
    • Big flutter in platter - indicative of drive IC failure (very expensive to resolve)
    • Physical tonearm defects (still not too expensive to replace though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

I dipped my toe into the pool of Digital DJing by using a Reloop controller and Tracktor.
    Soon got pee'd off with the Reloop, but liked Traktor..

I still have my 1210's (sold my djm600)

In your varied opinions which option would be better?

1. Audio8 soundcard into a Midi mixer, with the Timecode Vinyl's,
    2. Go balls deep and get a Xone 3d? (confuse the sh1t out of myself with some 4 deck wizardry!)

ps: any cheaper options than a 3d, bar Berhinger?

Thanks Lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 djdarren

Well guys,
    Im a newbie on Boards, hope this is the right section,
    Right heres my question im dj'n all kinds of partys house parties and events the last year or that, Iv a set of prosound 500w passive tops and a prosound 1600w amp not great but does the trick and im using a Numark cdmix 1 as my mixer cds for back up and using spare channel for my laptop. I bought a behringer ep2500w amp their recently great amp, Im using the behringer amp with the tops for the mean time, but i want to buy subs/bass bins, i was looking at these
    Behringer VP1800 S http://www.thomann.de/ie/behringer_vp1800_s.htm, i want a bit more power for bigger places.
    My question is I want to run the tops of the prosound amp and the two bins of the behringer amp, but how would i go about it? do i need a crossover? just how would i connect everything up? Hope someone can help thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭BadCompany

Hi everyone, complete rookie here looking for advice. I'm thinking about investing in a high spec laptop and a controller (something like the Traktor S2 mentioned above) more as a hobby than anything else, may look into gigging after some time if my interest grows. One query I had (and it may be a stupid one) is this - is it possible to run a controller (let's say the S2 in particular for arguments sake) without a set of speakers hooked up? ie. can I have the music come through the headphones in isolation or will I need a set of speakers? As I said this will be mainly for bedroom use for now. All advice appreciated, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

BadCompany wrote: »
    Hi everyone, complete rookie here looking for advice. I'm thinking about investing in a high spec laptop and a controller (something like the Traktor S2 mentioned above) more as a hobby than anything else, may look into gigging after some time if my interest grows. One query I had (and it may be a stupid one) is this - is it possible to run a controller (let's say the S2 in particular for arguments sake) without a set of speakers hooked up? ie. can I have the music come through the headphones in isolation or will I need a set of speakers? As I said this will be mainly for bedroom use for now. All advice appreciated, thanks!

You can use the speakers on your laptop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭BadCompany

Thanks frozen, I assumed this to be the case but I've heard conflicting comments online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 G.P

Thanks CyberWaste

I'm ready to pull the trigger on the S4 (my first DJ set up)

Where's the best place to buy it, eBay?
    You talked a bit about what laptops are best to use with it. If I didn't want to get a mac, what will do the job or what should I look out for?

Thanks

Advertisement