Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post for everyone who QUIT evil fags

• 03-01-2011 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭molly77

Hi all
    Starting new thread here, so that everyone who gave up the fags can post how there are doing here, all in the one thread, so that we wont be going from one to another, quiet annoying sometimes.
    Does that make sense or am I cracking up here :)

best of luck to everyone today. We can all beat these evil fags together Think I am going crazy haha

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Shinshin14

;)

Molly

Great idea .Not being an ace on computers I've been going around in
    circles with my rants. So much more productive .

Day 3 going well and health improving but still in and out of bed with
    the dose.

No cravings so far but no doubt they will hit me when I least expect it so
    must be on my guard.

No access to fags at present as have not been outside since Dec 27th.- so its easier. When I get to work next week and start to feel better then I need to be on my guard.

If we stick together we'll get there. I cannot allow myself to stumble this time as I've done too much of that before and its taken me months/ years to get back on wagon. I will focus on staying free for each day and not even contemplate failure.

Keep it up and good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭PWR

last one at 01.30 this morning. Hanging tough so far. Good luck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Last one on New Years eve/day at about 1am ...

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭molly77

Hi all
    day 3 nearly over thank God:)
    Shinshin join the club, this is my second time typing this,lost the first one. haha
    Ur doing great no cravings, the past 3 days have like been one long craving for me. Cant give in now, I have no intentions of going through all this again. its hell.:(
    Well back to work tomorrow and another big challenge for all of us.

PWR and Keithclancy well done
    Best of luck for tomorrow everyone. Day 4

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭mjg

Good luck to all that are quitting, have recently quit and are intending to quit. Haven't smoked for six weeks now, lost count of previous attempts but this time it feels right.

It takes most people multiple attempts to break the habit, I could not swear that I will never smoke again, but I know that if you want to stop smoking, you will eventually, whether it is a personal trigger that initiates the succesful attempt or experience gained from previous unsuccesful attempts, or both.

Good luck with the filthy little b'stards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Dalan

I didn't know which ring to throw my hat in - now here it is! It's great to have a place that's just for those of us going through the pangs etc right here right now as we read and type. There are a good few newly quit posters on other threads - maybe they'll end up here as time goes on.

I had my last gasper on Boxing Day morning. I've been smoking for 35 years. This is the fifth attempt I've made to stop.

I intend to blag away here a little bit most days - or at least once a week.

Good luck mjg - keithclancy - PWR - Shinshin14 - and last but not least Molly of course!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭SnoozyS

Best of Luck to ye all lads.

Just finished day 2 now....bring it on :)

SnoozyS

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

9 weeks as of yesterday. :D Best decision of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Fairway Jim

Today is Day 4, smoking 24 years, have to do it this time, purely for health reasons, so far so good, trying to battle off the cravings, my other half doesn't smoke she hates them.

Best of luck to all.

Must try and try and up the exercise now if possible, maybe if a craving comes just drop everything and go for a quick walk.

One minute at a time, now or never.

Well done all of us!! No small thing giving up the auld sins...

I may have got this completely wrong way round, but as I understand it so far the Nicotine Anonymous approach is big into the 'One Day At A Time, Sweet Jesus' aspect of freedom from addiction. I think the idea is to begin each day with a short prayer (spoken aloud rather than silently - and possibly also literally on the knees) to the Higher Power of your own choice and imagining, where we ask for the strength to have this day without the substance at issue; and then same again at beddie-byes, where we thank same for the free day duly delivered. I'm not exactly religious myself, but there's something strong and appealing and helpful about book-ending each day like that... Can't manage to say it out loud though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I'm off them just over a year now (Jan 1st 2010) and used a few threads on this forum to get me through the first few months. Managing to stay off them has been my greatest achievement! Initially I could not cope with the idea that it was a long term thing, so I'd just tell myself, I'll try and get to the end of this week.....or when the cravings were really strong I'd just try and hang on for one more hour!!! The best feeling was when I'd wake up in the morning and realise I hadn't smoked the previous day. For the first three weeks I could think of nothing else except cigarettes and I was obsessed with reading how other people were getting on and counting the days/ hours/ weeks....I kept hearing the cliche.... it gets easier and I wondered when?? I thought I'd never stop thinking about cigarettes. I was anxious going out to places where I used to smoke....I found going out drinking especially hard, but I faced the music pretty early on and came home when the cravings got very strong. After two or three nights out I realised I was actually more anxious before going out than being out itself, and I learned to relax and enjoy my friends company without constantly wondering when can I go out for my next cigarette. It helped me, to brave all the 'firsts' and get them over with....it helps if you have somebody who is gently supportive.....and the posters here on boards do that job if you don't have someone like that in your life.

I took up the C25k program to substitute my nicotine addiction and ended up running the Mini Marathon for the first time in ten years. I lost two and a half stone and I'm training for a Half Marathon this year

I had one slip up in early April....one cigarette.....but got straight back on track and I haven't had one since.

Anyway well done for being brave enough to give it a go. It does get easier :)
    .....to the point that I actually forgot all about my year anniversary on Jan 1st 2011!!!

Good luck guys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 alex andrews

Well done to everyone!
    Havin great new start for myself this year! woo hoo :) my brother gave me a cd program on stopping smoking, used it new years day, totally brill. havent had any bad days at all. i did lose my job though to this crappy reccession mad.gif but at least i'm not smoking smile.gifand i don't plan on going back soon, feeling soooooo much healthier and happier now!

anyone who really wants to stop smoking totally reccomend this program heres the site: www.StopSmokingWithPsychology.com
    smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭sniffingchimp

Hey all, congrats to everyone who's on this strange and difficult journey... lets hang in there!

dolliemix wrote: »
    I'm off them just over a year now (Jan 1st 2010) and used a few threads on this forum to get me through the first few months. Managing to stay off them has been my greatest achievement! Initially I could not cope with the idea that it was a long term thing, so I'd just tell myself, I'll try and get to the end of this week.....or when the cravings were really strong I'd just try and hang on for one more hour!!! The best feeling was when I'd wake up in the morning and realise I hadn't smoked the previous day. For the first three weeks I could think of nothing else except cigarettes and I was obsessed with reading how other people were getting on and counting the days/ hours/ weeks....I kept hearing the cliche.... it gets easier and I wondered when?? I thought I'd never stop thinking about cigarettes. I was anxious going out to places where I used to smoke....I found going out drinking especially hard, but I faced the music pretty early on and came home when the cravings got very strong. After two or three nights out I realised I was actually more anxious before going out than being out itself, and I learned to relax and enjoy my friends company without constantly wondering when can I go out for my next cigarette. It helped me, to brave all the 'firsts' and get them over with....it helps if you have somebody who is gently supportive.....and the posters here on boards do that job if you don't have someone like that in your life.

I took up the C25k program to substitute my nicotine addiction and ended up running the Mini Marathon for the first time in ten years. I lost two and a half stone and I'm training for a Half Marathon this year

I had one slip up in early April....one cigarette.....but got straight back on track and I haven't had one since.

Anyway well done for being brave enough to give it a go. It does get easier :)
    .....to the point that I actually forgot all about my year anniversary on Jan 1st 2011!!!

Good luck guys :)

Thanks Dollymix u answered some questions for us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭spadesaspade

dont think that smoking weed is not smoking because it will lead you back to square one

Hi all Day 4
    How did ye all get on today, back at work

Woke up this morning and was dying for a fag, so turned on the computer and read some posts, that worked. put me back on track again.
    I thought it would be a lot harder today been back at work but was,nt to bad now.

Tomorrow day 5 best of luck everyone, and dont give in to the evil weed:)

Hi all

Great to get the feedback from all and the sucess stories of those who
    have quit the habit .

l'm like someone in an incubator at present- away from temptation and the pressures of life. I'm still confined to be bed moslty - coughing my lungs up and not fit for work at least until Jan 10th. and feeling as weak as a cat. However, I am using my time to re- inforce my determination not to touch those filty fags again.

Champix have definetely helped me through the last few days . I haven't had any cravings or little voices telling me I can have one or two . I'm not very strong willed so the tablets are definately helping me and giving me the confidence to succeed.

Molly keep up the good work you are doing great.

Good luck to all and remember on this site we have one thing in common we are all fighting addition to nicotine - no matter how we want to dress it up. By supporting each other through the bad and good we will succeed.

Roll on tomorrow
    ;).;)

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Good luck all!
    I gave up year and half ago after reading Alan Carr. I really thought I would never give up and was destined to smoke until it killed me.
    For the first few weeks all I thought about was cigarettes but that gradually fades. What really got me through it all was I started C25k like dolliemix.
    It will help greatly if you take up a new 'habit' even if its just to head out for a leisurely stroll it will really help get your mind of things- also drink loads of water to clear toxins from your body.

SnoozyS recommending this site for info and support - it is excellent - includes two free e-book downloads http://whyquit.com/ffn.pdf & http://whyquit.com/NTAP_large_print_212_pages.pdf

Thanks S!!

Shinshin14 wrote: »
    Hi all

Great to get the feedback from all and the sucess stories of those who
    have quit the habit .

l'm like someone in an incubator at present- away from temptation and the pressures of life. I'm still confined to be bed moslty - coughing my lungs up and not fit for work at least until Jan 10th. and feeling as weak as a cat. However, I am using my time to re- inforce my determination not to touch those filty fags again.

Champix have definetely helped me through the last few days . I haven't had any cravings or little voices telling me I can have one or two . I'm not very strong willed so the tablets are definately helping me and giving me the confidence to succeed.

Molly keep up the good work you are doing great.

Good luck to all and remember on this site we have one thing in common we are all fighting addition to nicotine - no matter how we want to dress it up. By supporting each other through the bad and good we will succeed.

Roll on tomorrow
    ;).;)

Thanks a lot Shinshin well day 5 and we are still going strong:) :):):):)
    Hope ur feeling better today. u will be grand when u go back to work, We have the hardest bit over , Best of luck on day 6 :D

• Advertisement

Hi all
    Day 5 not too bad at all now. Just have to get over that frist hour in the morning, thats my worst time of the day, few craving today but over all i think its getting easier :)

Hope ye all are doing ok. keep strong
    best of luck tomorrow guys

Hi all and well done .

At least ye are back at work and doing so well - take a bow.

Can't wait to get back and looking forward to the challenge of practicing what I 've been preaching . Its easier when I can't get out to buy any . My sister called down to see me yesterday and asked me was I sure I would be ok without the fags. She knew that I would risk life and limb if I needed one and didn't want me out getting pneumonia. I told her I would be ok and that I was not going to smoke.

So far so good and each morning I thank God for another smoke free day. I 'm not big into religion but I find it helps if only to re-enforce my reasons for quitting .

Thank God for the Champix and all the support that I am getting from you all. It takes the isolation away from it.

We'll stick together through thick and thin and we'll get there

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

Hello fellow "quitters", well done to all. I've been smoking since I was about 16 and I've made a few attempts to stop like most of us. Longest i was ever off them was 6 months. Now, at 41, I think it's time to go for it again.

Today is my day one. I'm reading Alan Carr (again) which always get's me of to a good start and i am also using (disgusting) lozenges for the "worst" moments, something i haven't tried before.

Wish you all the best of luck with the quitting process!!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

I quit smoking today. I listened to the Paul Mckenna cd's and haven't smoked all day until now, just had one and really didn't enjoy it at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭SnoozyS

Whoop day 4 done and dusted :D

Congrats to all who are doing so well

Being back in work is a god send as I don't really have the time to be thinking about smoking. So now I just have to keep my evenings busy and I'm sorted. Started back running last night too so that's motivating me to stay strong this time

Till tomorrow me dears
    S

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

This website helped me a lot in the first 2 weeks. Sign up to their email support and they'll send you daily tips on how to survive without cigarettes. Plus it'll give you an indication as to how much you'll have saved/will save.

www.giveupsmoking.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

keep up the good work everyone and remember in just about a month it will be so much easier, you will feel brilliant and really proud of yourselves. Im on week 20 at the minute and its great.

two tips that really helped me and might help you too

most smokers think that they don't stink - in fact they cannot smell the stink of smoke whatsoever. After a few days off them you will grow to actually feel like puking when you smell the clothes of a smoker. remember ALL SMOKERS STINK TO THE HIGH HEAVEN - just because your sense of smell has diminished don't think you are one of the lucky ones who does not stink - YOU DO.

put your 8.55 away EVERY DAY in a jar - believe me after a month you will look at it and amaze yourself with what you are saving- after two months you will be delighted - after three months you will be abhorred at the amount of money you were actually blowing up in smoke. Its no good just doing the calculation in your head - you need to actually do it every day as a ritual to help you along. it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Day 6 now :)

Sense of smell is back and the smokers smell terrible.

Also food is starting to taste different and stairs isnt as hard.

Getting the odd craving but nothing major.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 robla

I am also on Day 6 now & am finding it HELL !! I had thought thaty things would get better but they are getting worse instead of better.... Hence why have joined this Board thread to help me thru !...:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Feownah

Robla I hear ya!

I am on Day 5. And I don't know whether it is a cold that has me feeling physically awful or giving up the ciggies.

My head is all fuzzy / lightheaded, is that normal?
    My sinuses are at me
    I'm cranky
    I'm developing a luverly cough

When will I start to feel better , cos i feel like crap now :)

Advertisement