Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nocturnal Comics

2»

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,683 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Speaking of crossovers, anyone here remember the inferno story arc??
    Demons running riot in the marvel universe.

Once I get onto a pc, I'll try and find some pics.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

koth wrote: »
    Speaking of crossovers, anyone here remember the inferno story arc??
    Demons running riot in the marvel universe.

Once I get onto a pc, I'll try and find some pics.

Vaguely. Didn't DC run a really similar story where a demon was selling extra power to villians?

Vaguely. Didn't DC run a really similar story where a demon was selling extra power to villians?

wouldn't know, most of my comic reading has been generally marvel comics.
    Only started reading other comics in the last few years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Underworld Unleashed was the DC crossover event in question.

Finally have a pc connecting to the interwebl:)

Brief outline of the inferno series.
    From wikipedia

"Inferno" was a Marvel Comics company-wide crossover in 1989 that mainly involved the mutant titles, namely The Uncanny X-Men, X-Factor and The New Mutants. The story concerned the corruption of Madelyne Pryor into the Goblin Queen, the final transformation of Illyana Rasputin into the Darkchylde, and a demonic invasion of New York City.

Uncanny241.jpeg

Also, for the nocturnals consideration, the House of Mystery series.

250px-House_of_Mystery_1.png
    From wikipedia.

Cain (of Cain and Abel) attempts to return to the House of Mystery, his home in the Dreaming, and finds that it has disappeared. Meanwhile, in Texas, a former architecture student named Bethany "Fig" Keeler flees her burning house, saving only a handful of sketches she once made of a house from her dreams. Keeler is pursued by a "Pair of the Conception", agents of an entity known as the "Omneity"; they are two people, a male and a female, always holding hands. If they let go of one another, they will disappear.

The pair chases her through a door and unwittingly into the House of Mystery, where she meets the inhabitants of the house bar and discovers the terms of what is apparently her imprisonment. Everyone must pay for their drinks with stories, and no one can leave without being picked up by the house's mysterious coachman. None of the house's occupants are sure why some people might get to leave and others not, so each person's stay is at least ostensibly eternal until the coachman inexplicably turns up to take them away. This doesn't stop some of the inhabitants from trying to get out, nor does it stop Cain from attempting to get back in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

I might have to look up House of Mystery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

2-16.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭lankysexybeast

I might have to look up House of Mystery.

if you don't feel like reading it there is a summary of it in one of the new avengares serious will get back to you on which one

if you don't feel like reading it there is a summary of it in one of the new avengares serious will get back to you on which one
    Think you might be mixing up House of Mystery with House of M.
    Avengers is a Marvel title and serious doubt they'd be printing a summary of a DC title;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

While not strictly nocturnal, but possessing a common dark humorous theme, The Perry Bible Fellowship always gives me a laugh.

todaysmybirthdayqy4.jpg
    pbf4.jpg
    pbf084-no_survivors.gif
    PuppyWish.jpg
    pbf050ad-book_world.jpg
    PBF044ADMovingBirthdaypart.jpg

Website here:
    http://pbfcomics.com/

• Advertisement

Another comic I just picked up today. If you like 100 bullets, I would imagine you'd like this.

scalped+vertigo.jpg
    From wikipedia

The series is set on the fictional Prairie Rose Indian Reservation in modern-day South Dakota. Containing elements of the film noir and Western genres, the story is concerned with organized crime as well as the culture and living conditions of the Oglala Lakota living on the reservation.

Thats about all I can say without starting to give away too much of the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭lankysexybeast

is it just me or is the dark reign (marvel) story line p/ss poor

fatawesome.jpg

Another series which I recently picked up that I'd recommend.

DMZ

DMZ.jpg
    From Wikipedia

The series is set in New York City, sometime in the near future and in the midst of a civil war that has turned the island of Manhattan into a demilitarized zone.

The conflict is concerns two primary forces: the federal government of the United States of America and the "Free States" armies. In issue #8, it is explained that the Free States are less a geographical entity than "an idea"; and that the movement began with secessionist groups involved in an "uprising" and formation of a separate government in Montana before spreading across the country.

The Free Armies and the U.S. military met in combat at Allentown, Pennsylvania where the Free Armies won, after which the Free Armies descended on New York. The exact chain of events from hereon has yet to be revealed. Manhattan is the location of the DMZ between the two warring parties, with the FSA occupying territory including New Jersey and inland, and the United States holding Brooklyn, Long Island, and other parts unknown.

Picked this up today. Would like to thank the wonderful ms. froo for making me aware of the comic.

nemi_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,954 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

All of IDWs Transformers stuff is awesome.

Furman is a legend.

They have started to release TPBs of Best of Marvel UK stuff. Anyone who is a Transformers fan should pick them up as they are some of the best Transformers stories ever.

Of the Dreamwave stuff I preferred Armada and Energon to their G1 stories.

Not read a lot of Marvel recently, but with Nate Grey, the X-Man making a return soon in the Dark X-Men story, I may have to make an exception.

The new Batman & Robin is awesome. Dick Grayson is now Batman.

Oh and Preacher, everyone loves Preacher.

preacher.jpg

Also Johnny The Homicidal Maniac is a must. It's only six or seven issues, one TPB. Absolutely brilliant.

ref_jthm.jpg

Moon Knight's current series is definitely darker than the character I remember from the 90's. Liking it alot though:
    moon%20knight.jpg
    Also I would be remiss if I falied to mention a character I was thrilled to discover:
    wolfman03_cover.jpg

Yes, it's a werewolf superhero!:D:D

Will have to check out that new Moon Knight series. Read a couple of the comics that were released in the 90s and liking the story.

Another one I'd recommend. Just picked up the first book today and it looks promising.

madamexanadu.jpg
    Taken from Play.com

She has known many identities: a Celtic enchantress, oracle in the court of Kublai Kahn, advisor to Marie Antoinette and fortune-teller in present day New York. Her name is Madame Xanadu - and magic is her business! This haunting gothic romance interweaves elements of history and mythology, revisiting famous legends and stories through Madame Xanadu's personal history - and her odd connection to the mysterious Phantom Stranger. Who is she? How did she get her name? Why is she connected to so many of history's most important figures? Find out within! Award-winning writer Matt Wagner ("Mage", "Grendel") is joined by young artist Amy Reeder Hadley ("Fool's Gold") for this unforgettable tale! Warning: Adults Only!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

springs to mind:

caballastics inc
    the batman:vampire editions
    batman gothic
    batman "night cries" great artwork dark theme by batman standards
    doomed
    Scream (online but still)
    Some of the conan graphic novels (book of toth fer example)
    spookhouse
    durham red
    that hp lovecraft collection

on a related note I can't stand most of garth ennis' stuff, desperate wannabe imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

Hai...
    I grow up with comics...but mines were exclusevely mangas, in Italy mangas have an affectionate public of otakus (fanatics) since many years, it's a much older phenomenon that in Ireland, cause we grow up with japanese anime on tv in the last 30 years.
    good part of my fave were sci-fi mangas, that are usually quite nocturnal...
    some example:

Battle Angel Alita
    kishiro_battle_angel_alita_1.jpg

Sakano
    saikano119bo1.jpg

Planetes
    planetes-0.jpg

Eden
    r7rl6x.jpg

Gantz
    gantz4.JPG

These are just a lil lil few of my huge number of loved ones (that are in my parents garage back in Italy, sob...)...I think, generally speaking adult japanese comics can be more "disturbing" that western ones, or in a more subtle way...I dunno how to explain this, maybe if someone knows oth "worlds" they could agree with me...
    Awwww...why are mangas so expensive in Ireland? SobSob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,954 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Anyone mentioned Scott Pilgrim yet?

Can't believe I forgot it in my first post as it's possibly the most awesome comic ever.

scott_pilgrim_s_precious_little_life.jpg

Picked this up today.

Northlanders_1.jpg
    From amazon.co.uk

At the end of the grim and barbaric dark ages, one warrior culture reigns supreme in the wastelands of the frozen North: the Vikings.When Sven of Orkney - now relocated to the sophisticated city of Constantinople - learns of his father's death, he returns to his home in the hope of inheriting a fortune. But what he discovers is treachery; his father murdered by his uncle Gorm, who has stolen Sven's birthright. But is Sven still Viking enough to reclaim what is his by right? And will he be tough enough to face down not only Gorm, but marauding Saxons?The all-new series by Brian Wood ("DMZ, Demo") and Davide Gianfelice ("Dylan Dog") is a bloody tale of murder, sex and war to bring out everyone's inner Norseman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 spencerzc

I've recently became obsessed with the work of Jaime Hernandez and the stories of Hopey, Maggie and Ray. The graphs are packed full of beautiful balance emotion and character. Jaime's stories are so believable that it makes it so easy to relate to the characters and I think everybody has lived at least one, if not more, of Jaime's stories.

maggie1.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I got Batman RIP and didn't really like it. The storytelling is too incoherent at times. Next up Batman A Death In The Family, just reading the quotes on the back gives me confidence it will be a great read! :D :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 spencerzc

yeah I can see a lot of talent and potential in grant morrisons comics but when I have to do an overall crit of his work, he comes out lower than expected.

like 'batman r.i.p' and 'the filth'......two pieces from morrison.....some great bits in them, but when put all together they lack some something essential.......i'd read them again to find out whats missing but.......meh!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

5FqHu.jpg

Dark Avengers is ok so far. It's not got the punch of Civil War, despite having "Dark" in the title.

www.freakangels.com

Started reading this on the recommendation of a Boardsie last night, read the whole thing so far. One of those comics where despite super powers etc. The best bits are where they're just satanding round narking at each other.

Oh and the character KK is a steampunk goth so that qualifies them for this thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Has anyone read this series?. Top Notch IMO and also a very apt theme for Nocturnal.:D

51bcUgj2VhL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    When a medieval scroll disappears from a Paris church, Doctor Julien Sauniere investigates, uncovering a series of horrific ritual murders and an ancient secret society. Julien cannot let these shadowy figures retreat into the darkness, lest they take up their killing once again. His investigation turns into a one-man quest into the bizarre secrets of the Catholic Church.

• Advertisement
Advertisement