Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to DJing or production? Need help or advice? Post here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 lion

Hello,Im new to DJing,i use my computer software to play my music,everything works well until i plug in my computer power supply and then my speakers begin to go nuts ,ive no doubt the interferance is caused by the power supply.Im hoping someone can help me with this problem,Thanking you,Niall.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Tomas_S

Thanks Jev/N I'll try :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 roskey

Yo guys,
    im completely new to all forms of Dj'ing and/or production.. Im interested in making up some of my own trance/techno/acid house tunes via my computer etc..
    I was woundering what software should I get and if I need any further equipment and if so what?!

Cheers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

roskey wrote: »
    Yo guys,
    im completely new to all forms of Dj'ing and/or production.. Im interested in making up some of my own trance/techno/acid house tunes via my computer etc..
    I was woundering what software should I get and if I need any further equipment and if so what?!

Cheers :pac:
    you will need
    a computer
    some software(logic,cubase,ableton whatever)
    an audio interface(a soundcard)
    a midi controller(midi keyboard would be best)
    lots of patience
    good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭pad180

lion wrote: »
    Hello,Im new to DJing,i use my computer software to play my music,everything works well until i plug in my computer power supply and then my speakers begin to go nuts ,ive no doubt the interferance is caused by the power supply.Im hoping someone can help me with this problem,Thanking you,Niall.

the problem you have is ground noise picked up in your speakers from your computer ,i had this problem when i first started out .there is 3 ways to sort it .
    1. run your computer on its battrey , you wont get long mabey an hour or so
    2. get a ground loop isolater ,
    3. or plug your computer into a two pin plug ,that should do the trick

hope this helps.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 scuddymud

Iv been looking around for a all in one console for DJing for a while now and I came across the Hercules RMX DJ Console and I was wondering if anybody had any experience with it or heard any good/bad things. Or should I be looking for something different, any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 lion

pad180 wrote: »
    the problem you have is ground noise picked up in your speakers from your computer ,i had this problem when i first started out .there is 3 ways to sort it .
    1. run your computer on its battrey , you wont get long mabey an hour or so
    2. get a ground loop isolater ,
    3. or plug your computer into a two pin plug ,that should do the trick

hope this helps.;)
    Thanks a lot,youve been a great help;),Niall

Hey.... looking to get into production. Would love to make dance or rap.

few quick questions...

1. what limitations has decks in terms of making your own music?.... can you do much?

2. how much would you need to spend on them?, i'd be willing to put a good bit in, any recommendations?!.... also i live in Galway and AFAIK no shops sell them so if i bought online i'd have no guarantee if they break?!...

3. would an MacBook with a programme like Logic be essential to making your own music?!

4. and lastly..... how much of this is achievable yourself?, would lessons be needed or just putting the time in?!.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22 maghenderson

to scuddymud. i find that the herucles systems are quiet good i have the hercules mark 2 and it's cheaper than the rmx, it works well with most of the dj software i have it running on virtual dj and traktor, i got mine at pixmania.com cheapest around plus you can't get them in this country, now i need to post a tread now, good luck anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 22 maghenderson

just as above, does anyone know how to get the earphones working on hercules mk 2, it works with traktor no problem, but working with virtual dj it doesn't, not really a problem with me but like to know if it's something i'm doing wrong or if it doesn't work with virtual dj, help would be greatful on this thanks

• Advertisement

just as above, does anyone know how to get the earphones working on hercules mk 2, it works with traktor no problem, but working with virtual dj it doesn't, not really a problem with me but like to know if it's something i'm doing wrong or if it doesn't work with virtual dj, help would be greatful on this thanks

go to config in virtual dj then sound setup and set headphones on output

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

alright lads, first post here(long time unregged viewer), hello to all.

im looking for some advise,after searching the boards and the "pimp your services" thread .im looking for sombody that can master a track for me, so i can press up some cd,theres tons of offers in that thread but im looking for a recomendation for someone to master this track :

http://soundcloud.com/chloroplast

its electronic,tech-house,minimal.

maybe sombody knows someone how has a better ear for that kinda music etc, im in wexford,but am fully willing to travel to dublin,no probs there.

thanks all......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

alright lads, first post here(long time unregged viewer), hello to all.

im looking for some advise,after searching the boards and the "pimp your services" thread .im looking for sombody that can master a track for me, so i can press up some cd,theres tons of offers in that thread but im looking for a recomendation for someone to master this track :

http://soundcloud.com/chloroplast

its electronic,tech-house,minimal.

maybe sombody knows someone how has a better ear for that kinda music etc, im in wexford,but am fully willing to travel to dublin,no probs there.

thanks all......
    there should be no need for you to travel,just send the person the wav file.thats all they need to master it.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

autist records are doing mastering now from 50 euro on myspace, they have one of the best sounds out there in my opinion

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=69017635

Hey thanks for the replies, steve that autist records link you gave me has really got me interested, i send em a mail, he gave me an opinion on the track and recommended me some stem mastering at 70e a track, i think im gonna go for it,they do have very well done tracks on the myspace player too,

thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

let me know how you get on with them! seem like cool chaps alright, im gonna send my stuff to them for mastering once ive got enough tracks im happy with.

will do, i send em another mail telling him i want one done and told em about how many strips of audio i have(about 8) and he got back to me just there a minute ago,

"""stem mastering means 3 audio strips (+ optional a 4th strip with vocals)""

so he tells me if i have more then i need to go for the Mixing + mastering option at 100e a track, now im thinking to either go trough with it or try and break the track into 4 parts, i think i might just bite the bullet and give em the 100e for the whole hog, i would feel better in myself about it,as i want as good a sound as possible.However.....im still searching the boards here too,

will let you know and post the results as soon as anything happens,
    g,luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tírghrá

HI,
    i was asked to a couple of gigs here and there but never had any DJ gear! i have a brand new laptop full of music but heres the thing! whats the story with this amp and speaker thing? say i buy a speaker set that are combined at 300watts do i need an amp 300watts + more or whats the deal!? someone please help!

Tírghrá wrote: »
    HI,
    i was asked to a couple of gigs here and there but never had any DJ gear! i have a brand new laptop full of music but heres the thing! whats the story with this amp and speaker thing? say i buy a speaker set that are combined at 300watts do i need an amp 300watts + more or whats the deal!? someone please help!
    u can find speakers with amps in them already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Tomas_S wrote: »
    u can find speakers with amps in them already

They're Active speakers, Passive are the ones that need an amp driving them

@Tirghra : If you've any intention of doing it properly you need to get off your ass and onto google, you'll find answers to all your questions within about 5 minutes of searching. I'm not being objectionable here, its just that I reckon the more handholding, the less chance of you succeeding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Colostomy Bag

Question about downloading music for DJing. What is the highest bit-rate that you can purchase online? Is there CD quality available? I have always shied away from buying downloads as I was under the impression that the quality was of MP3 type which is pretty poor in relation to CD quality. Anyone know about this? Also Traktor - is it easy to use, where can I get it, is it free? How long does it take to learn to use from scratch? I've had a look at some programs before like Cubase and found them to be head-scratchingly complex for beginners. Any advice welcome....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Question about downloading music for DJing. What is the highest bit-rate that you can purchase online? Is there CD quality available? I have always shied away from buying downloads as I was under the impression that the quality was of MP3 type which is pretty poor in relation to CD quality. Anyone know about this?

The highest bitrate for an MP3 is 320Kbps, but you can also buy wave files (cd quality) at a little extra cost.
    This debate has been done to death, but personally 320K mp3s are just fine, and you can get away with playing lower quality ones.

Traktor is definitely a good program to start off on, but don't ask where you get it for free here:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭bandybanter

Hi i was thinking of buying some dj decks to connect through my laptop. I haven't got much cash to spend at the mo but i was looking at either the
    BEHRINGER BCD-3000

or
    NUMARK TOTAL CONTROL
    or
    HERCULES DJ CONSOLE TRAKTOR
    (all of these are on http://www.thomann.de)
    Any reviews or opinions on any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi i was thinking of buying some dj decks to connect through my laptop. I haven't got much cash to spend at the mo but i was looking at either the
    BEHRINGER BCD-3000

or
    NUMARK TOTAL CONTROL
    or
    HERCULES DJ CONSOLE TRAKTOR
    (all of these are on http://www.thomann.de)
    Any reviews or opinions on any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

M-Audio Torq Xponent ftr. About 400 on dv247.co.uk (which is as reputable as thomann and often cheaper).

Of the three you mentioned, the Numark is probably the best as a controller but it doesn't have a built-in audio interface so you'll need to budget for either a USB/Firewire interface or a PCMCIA card. The Xponent has one built in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Briney

I work in a Local Youth Club . We run a Charity Disco, age group from 12-18. the lad who does it is leaving to get work in Oz! So, with my intrest in music, Chart an Dance mostly, I have now got the job(unpaid!) to DJ. Can you please tell me which is the best programme to buy for my lap top to DJ with. I want to be able to use the music I have on the lap top. I would like the software to help with beats an maybe mixing 1 song to another. Not looking to make mixs or anything, just pull off good disco.

Thanks for your time.

Hi Briney,

The best DJ software for your needs would probably be VDJ (Virtual DJ). It's about 35 euro available from her

http://www.virtualdj.com/products/homeedition.html

There's plenty of other options out there, most more complex than the next. For a charity disco you'd be flying with that one. Alternatively, Mixmeister Fusion (google it) is an absolutely superb and foolproof way of creating mixes both for later use and on the fly.

If you're DJ'ing off a laptop you'll almost certainly need some kind of audio interface. Plugging the lead directly into a PA from the headphone jack of the laptop is a no-no; you'll get an awful buzz and distortion and if someone knocks against it it'll make an awful racket. A cheap audio interface is the way to go - thomann.de or dv247.com would be two reputable places.

This would be perfect @ 100 euro
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/numark_dj_io_audio_interface.htm

or cheaper option would be this @ 75 which looks rugged
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/esi_esu_22.htm

You'll see cheap ones knocking about on adverts.ie all the time as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 phatnewbeats

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]www.phatnewbeats.com is based in and round Derry

But for now lets just focus on the task in hand which is actually YOUR task!

If you are (or know any one) making electronic music (we need every genre / style / speed) then this is the place to make it known to IRELAND and the world!

Please take a few minutes of your time to check out the site.

We can also offer our vast knowledge in the world of production / DJ'n

Thanks[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]www.phatnewbeats.com is based in and round Derry

But for now lets just focus on the task in hand which is actually YOUR task!

If you are (or know any one) making electronic music (we need every genre / style / speed) then this is the place to make it known to IRELAND and the world!

Please take a few minutes of your time to check out the site.

We can also offer our vast knowledge in the world of production / DJ'n

Thanks[/FONT]

FFS... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭franklyshocked

engrish? wrote: »
    How do you find new music? This forum has been great so far but I am craving more and more. Sifting through youtube can give great rewards sometimes as can buying random cd's but is there any obvious ways that I am missing?

Also, how do you organise your music? If you buy and album, how do you remember the tracks you loved and the tracks there were just worthless album filler?

Take Mario Piccatto - Now And Then, this album is mostly filler but the remix of Ibiza Angel is excellent. I listen to music mostly during my commute and in the gym. I might listen to an entire album and find one song I adore. I look at the title and then when I go back to listen to it the next morning I have forgotten it, of course you have to listen to the first 90 seconds if it has a long intro!

Thanks!

I know its been a while since you posted this but here are some other sites you should check out for new tunage:

http://www.essentialmusic.ws/
    http://www.0daymusic.org/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Just popping in to say hello, only at this about 4 months.
    Do warm up DJ'ing, loving it even if the places are relatively empty when i play :)

Advertisement