Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

I heard of a girl up in Cavan called Lasagne Brady.

are you sure it wasn't Lisanne?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

greenttc wrote: »
    are you sure it wasn't Lisanne?

Not sure to be honest, but it was pronounced Lasagne...plus I want to believe that there's a girl up in Cavan called Lasagne Brady.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Shaniqua. That's what a lot of African Americans name their kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

What about Breffni Morgan from Cork who was on the Irish apprentice about 15 years ago? The Breiffmiester!!!

Ooohh he was hot back in the day.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Buster, Bowie and Ace are the children of 2 Emmerdale actors who are married to each other in real life.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

My pregnant wife follows this "Insta Doctor" from Galway who had called her kids Indie, Harper and Romi. Had also published her entire list of names for boys and girls that she likes and those three are probably the least offensive of the lot. Such ****ing notions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Rubarb was a name seen yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

Ailbhe & Gobnait.

I'll be gobsmacked.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Braxton.

Braxton.

Would that be Brixton Hicks? Seems appropriate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Braxton.

Dont laugh, my inlaws (sort of) named their child Braxton. The poor childs mother was young dumb and full before 17 and the daddy is an independent pharmaceutical salesman.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Would that be Brixton Hicks? Seems appropriate

I thought of Braxton Hicks too when I saw it. :D
    It was with an Irish surname, e.g. Mac Giolla Phádraig*

(*not the actual name).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Dont laugh, my inlaws (sort of) named their child Braxton. The poor childs mother was young dumb and full before 17 and the daddy is an independent pharmaceutical salesman.

Hahaha, I remember that post because of this exact phrase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Hahaha, I remember that post because of this exact phrase.

Incase you are interested, little Bisto is doing fine in the creche and is doing lines of powdered milk. Mom is gone off to get her working bits Vajazzelled. I cant wait to hear until this dope crosses someone with serious intent and he is collecting disability

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

This one I know called her kids Alexis-Alice and Alyssa-Andrea-Decota (I've copied that spelling directly from her Facebook, I assume it's meant to be Dakota, whatever if you're crap at spelling, but you'd think you'd at least make the effort to learn the correct spelling for your own child's name!) Thankfully they only go by the first names mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Laoibhaise

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

A lad I know recently called his young lad Jaxon.

I know a few people that have called their kid Jackson and thats bad enough.

Jaxon is a whole nother level of cnuntery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

^^^

For added cnutery, his parents have also started the kids own Facebook profile, literally within hours of him being born.

:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

Many Ulster Scots call their children Irish names and I'm not sure if they are aware they are Irish. Those Americanised names like Ryan and Caden, there would be children on Shankill Road with these names.

I dislike how people give their children these fancy over the top Irish names nowadays, it's not like these people even have a slight interest in Irish history or ancient culture, they just do it as a novelty. There is no need for an ancient Irish name in 2020 that barely anyone can spell, you can't compare it to foreign countries that have complex names because in those countries they still actually speak the language that the name is. Most people don't speak Irish now as a first language so there is no need to call your son after a Celtic sun God or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

She either married the wrong man (oh the irony) or her mother was a bit of a comedian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Most people don't speak Irish now as a first language

Welcome to pretty much 200 years ago.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭chooseusername

uote:
    Originally Posted by DanielODonnell View Post
    Most people don't speak Irish now as a first language
    Welcome to pretty much 200 years ago.
    I had a response ready for Daniel, but then I realised it's the singer with a D
    not the Great Liberator with a C

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Laoibhaise

Nothing wrong with that name. Lee-sha. I know a girl with that name and never once thought there was anything unusual about it. Not sure why people get their backs up when people choose to use the correct Irish spelling for Irish names. I would imagine it's some form of insecurity over their own shortcomings in the language.

I have a friend who works with a woman who named her child Isis just before the terrorist group of the same name started their reign of terror. She has since grown a little sense and changed the child's name, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I have a friend who works with a woman who named her child Isis just before the terrorist group of the same name started their reign of terror. She has since grown a little sense and changed the child's name, thankfully.

... and we've come full circle!

(See the first post in this thread.)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭buzzing147

Madonna and Maradona

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Nothing wrong with that name. Lee-sha..

glad you cleared that up, I hadnt a clue how it was pronounced

In fact I only every saw it 3 days ago for the first time ever and wondered whats that

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

I dislike how people give their children these fancy over the top Irish names nowadays, it's not like these people even have a slight interest in Irish history or ancient culture, they just do it as a novelty. There is no need for an ancient Irish name in 2020 that barely anyone can spell, you can't compare it to foreign countries that have complex names because in those countries they still actually speak the language that the name is. Most people don't speak Irish now as a first language so there is no need to call your son after a Celtic sun God or something.

This makes me sad. I love that people are using all types of Irish names for their children whether they speak Irish or not. It is still our heritage and our history (ancient history even) so why not keep it alive instead of lost forever? In an age where we are thankfully more multicultural it is nice to see that some Irishness is proudly maintained in the names of our children to add to the landscape of diversity we live in. You have no idea if people have an interest in iIish history or ancient culture, I do, did you know that? Does that mean its okay for me to call my child an Irish name?

greenttc wrote: »
    This makes me sad. I love that people are using all types of Irish names for their children whether they speak Irish or not. It is still our heritage and our history (ancient history even) so why not keep it alive instead of lost forever? In an age where we are thankfully more multicultural it is nice to see that some Irishness is proudly maintained in the names of our children to add to the landscape of diversity we live in. You have no idea if people have an interest in iIish history or ancient culture, I do, did you know that? Does that mean its okay for me to call my child an Irish name?

It's a very strange one. I guess it's a reaction in some to the perceived hijacking by the yuppies of Irish names which came about after many started sending their kids to Gaelscoils.

I can't imagine there are too many cultures or countries in the world where giving your child a one of the many beautiful names from our original language would be derided and sneered at.

• Advertisement

Many Ulster Scots call their children Irish names and I'm not sure if they are aware they are Irish. Those Americanised names like Ryan and Caden, there would be children on Shankill Road with these names.

My daughter's name is Aoibhín? Is this too fancy or over the top in your eyes?

I'm a fluent speaker and have a huge interest in our history, culture and language. Even if I wasn't I would still find that quite a sad statement.

Advertisement