Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Games Have You Completed? (2020 Edition)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Pandora's Tower.
    Liked it enough to put the 22 hours into it, though did want it to be over by the end.
    No map meant getting lost multiple times and when you're on a timer, having to return to the hub occasionally, it's annoying. Also a semi fixed camera means you can't look around to try and figure out where to go.
    I did manage to get the second best ending out of 5 possible. Watched the rest online

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭TinCanMan

Batman Arkham Knight[PS4] - a very good game although a few too many BS areas especially involving the batmobile. The biggest plus for me was Mark Hamill as the joker. He was genuinely hilarious at times. [edit]

BioShock [PS4]- what an absolute masterpiece of a game. Enjoyed this so much. A definite must play if you like FPS/Horror.

BioShock 2 [PS4] - another fantastic game in the series, as enjoyable as the first with a few loose ends tied up.

Ratchet and Clank [PS4] - an excellent remake of an all time classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Couldn't agree more. I was burned out by the time I got to Knight and Rocksteady ran out of ideas hence why they added the batmobile. I didn't mind the batmobile sequences but they were so obviously tacked on.

Preach.

I was actually warmed up to the tank sections and then they introduced the stealth tank sections. They're okay as an idea and aren't that bad to handle but take far too long to get everything into position.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

Star wars jedi fallen order - PS4
    Gears of war ultimate edition - Xbox one
    The witcher 3 - PS4
    Hellblade senuas sacrifice - Xbox one
    The walking dead michonne - Xbox one
    Rage 2 - PS4
    Sniper elite 4 - PS4
    Call of duty modern warfare remastered - PS4

Pes 2019 - PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Fire Emblem: Three Houses
    Borderlands 3: Moxxi's Heist DLC
    Control
    A Plague Tale: Innocence
    Monster Hunter World
    The Division 2: Warlords of New York DLC
    Borderlands 3: Guns, Love and Tentacles DLC
    Doom 2016
    Doom Eternal
    Resident Evil 3

Final Fantasy VII Remake:

Thoroughly enjoyed my playthrough, though as someone who loves the original, a lot of my enjoyment came from the nostalgia kick the Remake delivers in spades.

Remove nostalgia from the equation however and what you have is a bog standard JRPG that is only just propped up by a phenomenal combat system. This is what I feared it would be, a 20 hour experience, stretched out to a 40 hour experience with meaningless fluff and padding that is needlessly littered throughout.

After the first couple of chapters, poorly designed, overly long and linear dungeons are the name of the game here, pinning you down in one boring location after another for what seems like an eternity, until you hit the final quarter and things gather steam again.

Story pacing is also way off here. Again, the first couple of chapters are great, but the next 30 or so hours are padded out with meaningless nonsense that little (if anything at all) to the overall narrative.

I see this being touted as game of the year which is absolutely baffling to me. If a new IP launched that didn't carry the nostalgia FF7 does, it would be absolutely crucified by fans and press alike for failing on so many basic levels outside of its combat, but because it's a remake of one of the most beloved JRPGs of all time, people are either blinded by their love of the source material, or are to proud to admit defeat.

Maneater:

Not going to say much about this one, it's an open world action RPG where you play as a bull shark, growing from a young pup right through to a Megalodon (provided you level up enough), and it works way better than it has any right to.

It's the pure definition of a 7 out of 10 game, but at the same time I actually think it's the most fun I've had with a game this year, as evidenced by the fact that I felt compelled to, and managed to get 100% completion and 1000 gamerscore on the Xbox; something I never do.

Its gameplay can feel slightly derivative, and most main quests are variations of "go here and kill 10....." but controlling the shark, and watching it grow and evolve as you choose from various upgrade paths is just an absolute blast and leads to something that feels wholly unique despite structurally borrowing heavily from other games.

Would urge everyone to give it a try at some point, even if it's a case of waiting for a sale.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Metro Exodus - Ps4
    Devil may cry 5 - ps4
    Yakuza 6 - ps4
    FF7 Remake - ps4
    Trials of mana - ps4
    Mafia 2 - ps4
    Uncharted: The Lost Legacy ps4

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

GAME|PLATFORM

Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing|PC
    Gato Roboto|PC
    Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker|PS3
    D|PC
    Dragon's Lair|PC
    Return of Egypt|PC
    Shin Megami Tensei: Synchronicity Prologue|PC
    Florence|PC
    Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3: The Answer|PS2
    The Last of Us: Left Behind|PS4
    3D Dot Game Heroes|PS3
    Black Mesa|PC
    Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei: Megami Tensei |SNES
    Rusty's Real Deal Baseball |3DS
    Donkey Kong Country 2 (102%) |SNES
    Picross: Lord of the Nazarick |Switch
    Pharaoh Rebirth+|PC
    Call of Duty: Black Ops 2|PC
    Megaman V|NES
    Halo 2|PC
    Sonic Adventure 2|PC
    Mini Metro|Android

Mini Metro

Great little time waster. Very simple but doesn't need to be anymore complicated for a 5-15 minute time waster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Another update

Final Fantasy X (PC) Technically brilliant at the time and a massive leap on from IX, but with a weird story, annoying lead character and awful voice acting it's a disappointment. Also, F*%k the sphere grid and F*&k blitzball.
    Medal of Honor: European Assault (XBOX) A more modern feeling game than previous titles, it's a great (if short) campaign. Need to dig out my other MoH games now.
    Project Gotham Racing 2 (XBOX) Kinda weird in that some cars and tracks are p**s easy and others will tear you a new A*&^%$£e. great game though.
    Indycar Series (XBOX) technically well made but Christ it's boring.
    Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (XBOX) Better than Frontline, let down a little by some poor level design in some areas.
    Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis (XBOX) fun little war sim, meanders from super easy to ball-achingly hard missions.
    Red Faction (PC) technically poor, but mad fun altogether
    Red Faction II (PC) total crap, nothing to do whatsoever with the first game and other that the odd mech segment, an utterly forgettable 4 hours.
    Sin Episodes: Emergence (PC) Plays well, but it feels like a HL2 mod. Great advertisement for not getting into episodic games.
    Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (PC) Great first half, dull second half. Typical MoH game, with one lone commando basically winning the war by himself.
    Rise of the Tomb Raider (XBOX 360) Brilliant game from start to finish, campaign is a bit short but there's loads of side-stuff to do. I loved having to craft ammo and equipment on the fly. Terrible final boss though.
    Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (XBOX) Seriously. F*£k this game! I liked the story, the combat (when it worked), the atmosphere was too edgelord-y but it was tolerable. The controls were terrible, maybe as a consequence of every button doing about 50 different things so that you try to wall run but instead the prince decides to jump to his death. Other issues i can look past but the controls are always, always fighting against you.

The witcher 3 - PS4
    Rage 2 - PS4
    Sniper elite 4 - PS4
    Pes 2019 - PS4

Shadow warrior 2 - Xbox one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

GAME The Last of Us: Remastered
    PLATFORM PlayStation 4

I think this is my third time beating this game overall. This one was (obviously) in preparation for the sequel in a couple of weeks.

GAME The Last of Us: Left Behind [DLC]
    PLATFORM PlayStation 4

Handy 2 hours. Just a bit of backstory with one of the main characters.

Games Beaten in 2020 So Far
    GAME|PLATFORM
    STAR WARS JEDI: FALLEN ORDER|XBOX ONE
    MY FRIEND PEDRO|XBOX ONE
    UNTITLED GOOSE GAME|XBOX ONE
    FLOWER|PS4
    CASTLEVANIA: SYMPHONY OF THE NIGHT|PS4
    NBA STREET|PS2
    FINAL FANTASY VII: REMAKE|PS4
    STREETS OF RAGE 4|PS4
    ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW HORIZONS|NINTENDO SWITCH
    THE LAST OF US: REMASTERED|PS4
    THE LAST OF US: LEFT BEHIND (DLC)|PS4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I've started quite a few but haven't been great for sticking with them to the end.

Halo Master Chief Collection - PC
    1. Halo Reach
    2. Halo CE Anniversary
    3. Halo 2 Anniversary
    1. Hollow Knight - PC - Practically completed, technically there is a lot of side items that I haven't collected but it finished as far as I'm confirmed :D
    2. Zelda - Links Awakening - Switch - Really enjoyed this, one of the best reimagining of an old game I have ever played. Highly recommend.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Finished Guacamelee 2. I really enjoyed it and it's every bit as good as the first game. Some tough platforming parts when collecting the special keys provide a challenge and getting 100% on all maps is fun. Just a very entertaining game.

EDIT: I also finished a point and click game called Agatha Christie: The ABC Murders. It's passable at best. Slow moving, poor voice acting and easy. Not really worth the time.

Game|Platform
    Outlast| PlayStation 4
    Letter Quest Remastered| PlayStation 4
    Costume Quest 2| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Metro Last Light Redux| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Little Nightmares & DLC| PlayStation 4
    Horizon Zero Dawn & Frown Wilds DLC| PlayStation 4
    Forgotten Anne| PlayStation 4
    Dust: An Elysian Tale| PlayStation 4
    Oxenfree| PlayStation 4
    Kona| PlayStation 4
    Abzu| PlayStation 4
    Vampyr| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Loco Roco| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Rise of the Tomb Raider| PlayStation 4
    Control| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Scarlett Mysteries: Cursed Child| PlayStation 4
    Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Rime| PlayStation 4
    Dreamwalker: Never Fall Asleep| PlayStation 4
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Unravel| PlayStation 4
    Just Cause 4| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    South Park: The Stick of Truth| PlayStation 4
    Path of Sin: Greed| PlayStation 4
    Guacamelee 2| PlayStation 4
    Agatha Christie: The ABC Murders| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Astro Bot.

First full VR game I played and it was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

[PC]

Hitman

Brilliant game I actually played up to Paris a few years ago and left it as I didn't like it and was looking through steam and seen it was already downloaded(slow internet) so I said will give it a shot and I'm glad I did and turned out I loved it. Found each level to be not too difficult except Japan. I trawled the level many times before I looked up a guide turns out
    you needed a device to get into the mainframe.
    Once I got that device it was easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Fire Emblem: Three Houses
    Borderlands 3: Moxxi's Heist DLC
    Control
    A Plague Tale: Innocence
    Monster Hunter World
    The Division 2: Warlords of New York DLC
    Borderlands 3: Guns, Love and Tentacles DLC
    Doom 2016
    Doom Eternal
    Resident Evil 3
    Final Fantasy VII Remake
    Maneater

Man of Medan: Played this across two evenings with my other half. Not as good as Until Dawn, and way too reliant on jump scares, but an enjoyable playthrough none the less. If you're going to play through it I would definitely do so with at least one other person; it has a 'movie night' mode where you each select several of the playable characters to take control of and pass the pad between each other as and when. It's also only around 4 hours long which was actually refreshing as getting to start and complete something in a single weekend is a rarity these days.

Saints Row the Third: Remastered: Fantastic when it released in 2011 and it's still fantastic now. It really taps into what made GTA games fun back in the PS2 era, before the series went off on a slightly more serious tangent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Latest game finished is 11 11 Memories Retold. I had never heard of it but it was released on PS Now in the June update. It's a short narrative based game set during WW1 and it has a number of different endings. There's not much gameplay involved but the story is enjoyable and it's narrated by Elijah Wood and Sebastian Koch. It's well worth a play through.

Game|Platform
    Outlast| PlayStation 4
    Oxenfree| PlayStation 4
    Kona| PlayStation 4
    Abzu| PlayStation 4
    Rime| PlayStation 4
    Unravel| PlayStation 4
    11 11 Memories Retold| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Metro Exodus - Ps4
    Devil may cry 5 - ps4
    Yakuza 6 - ps4
    FF7 Remake - ps4
    Trials of mana - ps4
    Mafia 2 - ps4
    Uncharted: The Lost Legacy ps4

The Outer Worlds - ps4

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Got the Plat in Lego Batman 3 the other day. Definitely one of the worse Lego games I've played. It still just about ticked the box of BREAK AND COLLECT EVERYTHING it does, but it's wrapped in a terrible choice of story (lets make the characters even more annoying) and the final round up to collect everything took way too long! Didn't help it doesn't indicate that a collectible is only available after getting a collectible on another map/world! Just didn't have the charm of the Lego Harry Potter series to keep going to the end. Even though I did. I wasn't going to be bet by a Lego game!

Finished Day of the Tentacle and Get Even over the past week.

I started off really enjoying Day of the Tentacle but I kept getting stuck not knowing what to do. I found the solutions to progress were not very logical and I had to keep checking a guide. Disappointing as I was really enjoying it. Maybe it's because I didn't play the old style point and click games on PC back in the day.

Get Even was so frustrating. The premise is good, the atmosphere, visuals and music are all excellent but the gameplay is so utterly boring that it completely ruins the game. Basically you wander around horror style locations searching for collectibles to piece back together memories. It's first person perspective and you have a gun but your told not to use it! The final act is fun but everything before is so boring. Better gameplay and this could have been an excellent game.

Game|Platform
    Outlast| PlayStation 4
    Oxenfree| PlayStation 4
    Kona| PlayStation 4
    Abzu| PlayStation 4
    Rime| PlayStation 4
    Unravel| PlayStation 4
    Day of the Tentacle| PlayStation 4
    Get Even| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Crysis
    Crysis Warhead
    Crysis 2
    Crysis 3
    Doom Eternal
    Half Life: Alyx
    Resident Evil 3
    Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
    Sniper Elite 4

All on PC

Crysis games hold up fairly well, each game has its own pro's and cons but the original is still the best, the remaster just needs to improve performance and fix the memory leak issues. It really has some fun gameplay.

Doom Eternal was enjoyable, gameplay is improved over 2016, just takes time to get use, can be tricky to remember to use the new stuff like the flame thrower and grenades. Story wise I could take it or leave it, tech wise performance was superb even with a Freesync monitor I had to enable V-Sync because my frame rate was exceeding the 165FPs refresh rate on my monitor! and it looked great to boot.

Half Life: Alyx, never tried VR before this. Got a Valve Index and stupidly gambled on this being good. Well the gamble payed off, this is the future of gaming. Maybe if I had experience with other VR games first I'd be less impressed but this redefines gaming for me. The level of immersion is simply far beyond what can be achieved in a traditional game. I'm not someone who is easily impressed but I had sense of awe when I was playing this game. Cashing in on nostalgia is big business these days, people want to go back to what it feel likes to be a child and holy **** did this game do that to me. The only problem for me is that the only way Valve could top this is that they wait for the holodeck from Star Trek to be created. Whether the game would of been as good without being VR is unlikely but storywise its excellent. Great voice acting and witty banter between Alyx and the support characters and that ending OMG!

Resident Evil 3. Solid but not a patch on RE 2 remake. I just about got my value out of my €46 going through the campaign several times, but I wasn't interested in the multiplayer side of it and the single player was very short. Technically really strong again from Capcom, RE engine is a beast. But this could of been fleshed out more or else sold as an expansion to RE 2 remake.

Sekrio: Shadows Die Twice. First From Software game I've played for more than an hour or so and damn this was good. Superb gameplay, challenging but fair if you have the time to put in. I now understand why From Software are held in such high regard. If Bloodborne gets a PC port, I'll be all over it, and I'll finally determined to get around to playing Dark Souls after owning it for years and never bothered playing it.

Sniper Elite 4. This is my guilty pleasure. The best in the series so far, where they wisely decided to follow on from the more open endied missions of SE3. Great level design and playing on Authentic + the sniping was challenging yet satisfying. Technically solid with great level design, plot yet another throw away B grade story though I do appreciate the fact its taking inspiration from true events of WW2 with it. The A.I seems improved from previous game too. I look forward to trying out the VR spin off they have coming.

• Advertisement

The witcher 3 - PS4
    Rage 2 - PS4
    Sniper elite 4 - PS4
    Pes 2019 - PS4

Final fantasy 7 remake - PS4

The witcher 3 - PS4
    Rage 2 - PS4
    Sniper elite 4 - PS4
    Pes 2019 - PS4

Final fantasy 7 remake - PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

GAME|PLATFORM
    Star wars Jedi Fallen order|PS4
    Control|PS4
    Tekken 7 story Mode|PS4
    Death Stranding | PS4
    Super Mario Odyessy | Nintendo Switch
    Subnautica | PS4
    Fire Emblem three houses | Switch
    Dark Souls Remastered | PS4
    Katana Zero | Switch
    Doom Eternal | Ps4
    Return of the Obra dinn | Switch
    FF7 Remake | PS4
    What remains of edith finch | Ps4
    Far Cry 5 | Ps4

Far Cry 5

Was not bad last far cry I finished was far cry 3, was enjoyable for a tenner was good messing around in the vehicles.

Not too sure what to tackle next been dipping in an out of warzone and have TLOU2 coming this week , so might just dive straight into that

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭TinCanMan

Batman Arkham Knight[PS4] - a very good game although a few too many BS areas especially involving the batmobile. The biggest plus for me was Mark Hamill as the joker. He was genuinely hilarious at times. [edit]

BioShock [PS4]- what an absolute masterpiece of a game. Enjoyed this so much. A definite must play if you like FPS/Horror.

BioShock 2 [PS4] - another fantastic game in the series, as enjoyable as the first with a few loose ends tied up.

Ratchet and Clank [PS4] - an excellent remake of an all time classic.

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture [PS4] - an interesting storyline but effectively a slow walking sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

[PC]

Watch Dogs 2

Great game I really enjoyed it. Don't know why I waited so long to play it as I bought it a long time ago. One thing I found is I had to
    kill people in the
    last few mission of main story. As I
    tried electric but the other guys would find them and wake them up so it
    was a lost cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Divinity Original Sin 2

This was a slog. I haven't played this style of isometric RPG since the days of Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment. And at first it really impressed me. There are so many mechanics that can interplay to how you approach situations in a variety of different ways. It feels incredibly empowering and flexible in the early game, as you unlock new abilities and suddenly get the teleport ability which you can use in battle to dunk an enemy in water, drop an explosive barrel on their head, or move your archer to a high ledge. But then you realise you can just as easily use it out of combat to access treasure chests you otherwise couldn't, get past locked gates, or teleport a watching guard down a pit where they can't get out while you sneak past. Likewise, when you first unlock a healing spell in combat you soon realise you can also use it to heal an injured person you find in town and unlock new dialog options. The turn based combat is challenging, rich and varied, with the terrain layout playing a large part, and a variety of different tactical skills that are crucial - there is never a single encounter in the game that you can just hack away with your sword to complete.

However, while the starter areas are incredibly well designed and really make the most of the mechanics as they get introduced, the game struggles to hold together as it opens up. You are rarely given the slightest guidance on where you should be going and often end up wandering the map trying to find stuff that matches your level through trial and error. And if you're unfortunate enough to walk the wrong way you will get ambushed and you will die and you will sit through a very lengthy reload, repeatedly.

The game regularly feels incredibly unfair, even battles at the correct level sometimes can one hit your entire party if you haven't discovered the "trick" to them and had the misfortune of approaching from the wrong side or with the wrong equipment selected. Aside from combat, there are also multiple occasions in the game where you can say the wrong thing in conversation and end up with a permanent debuff for the entire rest of the game. You can easily arrive at an area in the wrong order and speak to the wrong person and close off entire questlines by accident too.

Compounding this is the fact that XP is at such a premium. Enemies don't respawn, so there is a finite amount of XP available. If you accidentally close off a questline, or deal with a quest in a way that doesn't net much XP, you can find yourself hopelessly underlevelled in the next area. At one point I was completely stuck at a battle where I was getting utterly destroyed, and I ended up going back and slaughtering all the guards I had used my persuasion skill to talk my way past, purely because I needed to level up and there was no other way. It really hurts the role playing aspect of the game.

By the final act (a good 100 hours in at this stage), I was getting tired of frequent ambushes, unfair quest lines, and constant reloading, so I ended up turning the difficulty down. It made the last few battles a bit of a snoozefest as they were easy to walk through, but I was kinda done with the game at that point and just wanted to finish it. There is such a solid base game here, which really shone in the early sections in particular that were much more tightly designed, and the writing and voice acting was all excellent too, but the mission design just got away from itself as the game went on and really hurt it.

Advertisement