Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gaming News

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

are we to forget the psn server hacks in 2011 when Sony didnt tell their consumers their data was breached and credit card information was taken ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,200 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I really liked the 360 for the most part. Worked great, some great games. But I had 3 of them because two RROD'd, and two different play and charge kits never actually charged the controllers, so had to have them plugged in the whole time.

The PS3 was pretty flawed too. Sony got cocky and rested on their laurels in many ways, whereas the 360 had something to prove. Sony started pulling it back as time went on with how great PS+ was during the PS3 era and how online multiplayer was free. In this current gen we got a complete reversal at the start, Microsoft got cocky and thought fans would accept anything (forced Kinect, always online), and Sony pared things back and just delivered a solid games console. Whereas by the end of the last gen both consoles were pretty even, there's a disparity that exists now as even though PS4 has a much bigger userbase, MS are offering amazing value with Gamepass which blows PS+ and PSNow out of the water.

I genuinely don't remember much of the first year or so of the PS3 because I was so busy around that period I didn't get playing much anyway, but I do know I still played a good few PS2 games on it for the first while because there wasn't a lot of new stuff out on it. That's to be expected with most new consoles to be honest, and why backwards compatibility is so vital for the start of this gen.

Will be interesting to see what happens in the coming week with PS5 details. MS have made a fairly strong showing of the Series X so far. Sony can't sit back and just stay the course, the big thing they need to do imo is a proper Gamepass competitor and as much backwards compatibility as possible. I think both consoles will be there or thereabouts with regards graphics and loading times etc that there'll be little discernible difference for most gamers.

MS has Gamepass, Sony has bigger exclusives. MS with their studio acquisitions are working towards bigger exclusives. Sony need to work towards matching Gamepass.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Lack of exlcusives. Far more expensive than the 360 yet third party games were far worse on it for most of it's life cycle. Terrible messaging from Sony and complete arrogance from them. ....Was a dark few years for them.

Don’t forget their removal of the backwards compatibility and Linux support.
    I was an early adopter of both as well can got stung with the RROD as well as a dearth of really good games there for a while. They both turned it around after a while but it was eventually the exclusives on the Sony side that swung it for me. After having rrod twice I just gave up and hated the redesign other the gui just a bit too much to spend money on a 3rd one.
    After the Phat gave up the ghost I did get a slim, and it’s still running now - although I did have to send it back for a fix a few years ago.

Really hope both learnt their lessons, but history teaches us otherwise. Fingers crossed. Would be amazing to see a full rebuild of some of the classics with extended levels and gameplay but time will tell,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Oh shut up. You aren't being personally attacked. You aren't that important to me.

And yes a lot of it was fanboys. There was even a great site called the Sony defense force that did stuff like give Xbox exclusives low scores then giving them perfect scores when they came to PlayStation that mocked their behaviour.

And xbox has their xbots they've just been quiet because it's hard to defend how bad the one has been.

I dunno you're coming across a little upset to me! You're a bit of a broken record when it comes to ****ting on Sony, it's targeted, if you were unbiased and commented the same for all console then fine but that's just not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

dudeeile wrote: »
    I dunno you're coming across a little upset to me! You're a bit of a broken record when it comes to ****ting on Sony, it's targeted, if you were unbiased and commented the same for all console then fine but that's just not the case.

Oh sweet Jesus, there was nothing in what he was saying originally to get prickly about. There's plenty of fanboys on both sides of the divide. Failsafe constantly goes onto the PlayStation forum anytime there's a whiff of bad news in relation to the PS. I don't use the Xbox forum but presumably there's some eejit doing the same thing over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,774 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

dudeeile wrote: »

You're the one that seems upset in both your comments. I don't think he's actually said anything that wasn't true about either the PS3 or the 360. One started strong the other finished strong and both had hardware problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I remember the ps3 costing a bomb on release as well, i can't remember exactly but think i had to wait a while to get it. Bought one again recently for 70 euro and absolutely love it, such a great catalogue of games in the end, worth it for demons souls alone.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I remember the ps3 costing a bomb on release as well, i can't remember exactly but think i had to wait a while to get it. Bought one again recently for 70 euro and absolutely love it, such a great catalogue of games in the end, worth it for demons souls alone.

My brother bought the PS3 at launch and I got the 360. We added a GameCube after. More time to play then but couldn't afford as many games.

Now I've a PC, Switch, Xbox. Xbox is never turned on and only get about 2 hours of gaming a week. Recently sold the PS4 as well as it wasn't being used.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PS3 was 600 at launch. You could get a 360 for 300 with no hard drive or 400 with 20gb. PS3 came.with 60gb drive.

Was a massive negative against it.

Also shops at the time wouldn't let you buy a console close.to.launch without a bundle. So add about 200 euro on to that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Imagine getting the HD-less 360 and then finding out about these newfangled "game updates".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Christ when you think about it a 20gb hard drive!.

I've a 1TB ssd in my ps4 now and it's constantly running out of space. Games regularly taking 100+ GB of space.

• Administrators Posts: 53,331 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Zero-Cool wrote: »

The 360 was available like 3 or 4 months before the PS3. And unless I'm mistaken, the PS3 had supply issues at the very start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

My memories of being an early PS3 adopter revolve around being thoroughly underwhelmed by Resistance and the machine pulling a YLOD when I started to get some use out of the thing. Wonderful generation indeed. Kinda hilarious the 360 and PS3 lost out to a glorified Gamecube with waggle controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

The most I remember of the PS3 launch was the infamous "people will get a second job to afford one" and the lack of launch games not being an issue as people would buy the console anyways from brand alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Christ when you think about it a 20gb hard drive!.

I've a 1TB ssd in my ps4 now and it's constantly running out of space. Games regularly taking 100+ GB of space.

Yup, Just got a new PC over a month ago, initially had a 500GB nvme for OS, Lightroom and Photoshop and my main focus games, but added a 1TB HDD for extra games and files. It's already down to only 400GB available [the 1TB drive, still 300gb spare on the main nvme but that's pricey space reserved]. Thankfully I have some external HDD but already considering either bumping to a 3-4TB HDD or adding a 1TB ssd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Xbox 360 was one of the worst designed consoles in the history of consoles.

How many on here had a RROD. I don't trust Americans do design anything. Using batteries in a control pad like it's a 1980's gameboy. I still can't get over the large sized brick as a power yoke. Pretty sure it was even bigger for the one.

Imagine the shame if an Japanese engineer came up with that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

To be fair the one is pretty nicely designed.

The only major issue with the 360 is it was rushed. They tested the thermals. It was fine. Then didn't really test it fully assembled and with the DVD drive running as that was sitting directly above the heat sink.

Another big factor for the 360 and PS3 was the move away from leaded solder. The unleaded stuff is pure ****e and caused chips to come off the board.

They were both boom time machines. Crazy technology in a box and screw thermals and power consumption.

The one and PS4 in comparison were very modest, lessons learned from the previous gen even if the PS4 again has a ****ing awful disc drive on early models that randomly spits out games. Sony can't make a decent disc drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Has anyone seen anything about this Sega related story that a Famitsu journo is going to reveal this week? He's hyping it up ta ****, saying it'll "rile up the industry" and other hyperbole. Speculation is rife, from predictions that Sega are releasing a console, to their being bought out by MS.

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Has anyone seen anything about this Sega related story that a Famitsu journo is going to reveal this week? He's hyping it up ta ****, saying it'll "rile up the industry" and other hyperbole. Speculation is rife, from predictions that Sega are releasing a console, to their being bought out by MS.

I saw a rumour this morning that said Sega were partnering with Microsoft and would launch the Series X in Japan as the Sega Series X

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I saw a rumour this morning that said Sega were partnering with Microsoft and would launch the Series X in Japan as the Sega Series X

Hmm that would certainly be more "revolutionary" (the journalist's word) than some of the other rumours I've seen.... I mean, a Dreamcast Mini would be nice, but it'd hardly be ground-breaking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Anyone for a Dreamcast Mini? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Hmm that would certainly be more "revolutionary" (the journalist's word) than some of the other rumours I've seen.... I mean, a Dreamcast Mini would be nice, but it'd hardly be ground-breaking!

Putting their name on a device that's already known to exist and they had no part in developing isn't particularly revolutionary either though.

It seems logical though and it would be a sensible marketing decision from Microsoft. Sega have published some fantastic games in recent years, so any form of exclusivity agreement would be a big deal for Xbox.

They did some amazing stuff on the original Xbox as well.

But with them bringing back sanshiro building on the Saturn nostalgia it might be a good time to do this and get a foot into the Japanese market for MS finally

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1267525525825900549

Disappointing, but the right call I think.

The way 2020 has been shaping up so far though, it might be 2021 before they get a calm period to show off their games.

So, wait... because some black guy gets killed by a white police officer thus setting alight the tinderbox of systemic racism and inequality that has been simmering for decades, I have to miss getting hyped for a new console?

This blows. I'm soooo over equal rights now.

You'd think that maybe it's a good excuse to postpone an event because they've nothing to show?

You'd think that maybe it's a good excuse to postpone an event because they've nothing to show?

Or maybe all their games were about maverick cops that don't play by the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

CatInABox wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1267525525825900549

Disappointing, but the right call I think.

The way 2020 has been shaping up so far though, it might be 2021 before they get a calm period to show off their games.

Call of Duty have also postponed their season 4 launch of modern warfare, shortly after Sonys announcement.
    Its been rumored for some time within warzone, that call of duty 2020 is being teased within the map, and it was expected to be part of season 4 - and likely one of the showcase titles for Sonys event.

More than likely their gameplay footage contains no gameplay. They need to one-up xbox with a look at us when we say gameplay we mean actual gameplay type statement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

More than likely their gameplay footage contains no gameplay. They need to one-up xbox with a look at us when we say gameplay we mean actual gameplay type statement

They probably don't live in a bubble so know that most eyes are on America right now so maybe its not the time to be showing gameplay footage of the PS5 in between protesters getting tazzed, ran over and tear gassed.
    I bet some people here genuinely think E3 would still be going ahead this if it wasn't already cancelled.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement