Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I ran into problems getting crank seals for the 315R , had to do some digging and found a 25x36x6 Suzuki RG125FUN crank seal fitted one side, the other is a strange size 38x52x10 twin lip Viton.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I fitted a new clutch cable to the CBR today hopefully get out for a short spin tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Cheers Dubal, yer probably right, I like the idea of having a raft of various viton o rings at my disposal. Perhaps an expensive arrangement but may look into it, be a real bonus for the garage like.

IMG-20200531-210625.jpg
    Gave her some zap and some juice and glaze my nipples and call me Rita if she didn't just spring into a lovely even quiet idle. Pick up is sweet, and I'd say 90% there. Swapped out the idle jets and leaned her off a touch and she's better again. Choke enrichment off but made up the motor is quiet and smooth and carbs looking good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Fitted a speedo cable to a Honda NT650 today

Except it's not finished. It's in the back of the speedo and ran down to the wheel where it should be

Only then I noticed there's no clip to screw in to hold it in place. So I have it cable tied to stop the wire flying around

Anyone know where one would get the holder part for that end that screws into the wheel ?

Cheers

Fitted a speedo cable to a Honda NT650 today

Except it's not finished. It's in the back of the speedo and ran down to the wheel where it should be

Only then I noticed there's no clip to screw in to hold it in place. So I have it cable tied to stop the wire flying around

Anyone know where one would get the holder part for that end that screws into the wheel ?

Cheers
    The last one I replaced was moulded on to the end of the cable.
    Could you use a P clip to secure it to the hub?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The last one I replaced was moulded on to the end of the cable.
    Could you use a P clip to secure it to the hub?

Unfortunately not, a p clip is the wrong way around for it

I suspect it's actually a wrong cable, will get it checked before doing anymore

Gettin closer:pac:

IMG-20200603-000339.jpg

IMG-20200603-000133.jpg
    Losing hrs getting finicky on details here n there. Fasteners, routing etc.

Is that one of the German 320mm kits?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

that seat doesnt look to comfy

I'm laying a fibreglass seat base and a half inch foam over it right after I chop the subframe and wrap the header. Oh and knobblies Len I dig de knobblies. I'm also growing a beard as fast as I can too.

CJ, random factoid, me and japcati grew up very close to your name sakes homeplace in Dubberlin. Yep that's the HE kit as sold by Herr Hessler cept I cheaped out by twigging the caliper used was a lhs grimeca 4 potter (used on a gilera nordwest) which I bought cheap as NOS from Bob Wright in the UK. Paired up with a 13mm master, springs and revalve that's as good as most modern tackle up front. Be interested to see does she flex without additional bracing....I'm no racer type so should be sweet.
    How goes yer works?

• Advertisement

H_Lime wrote: »
    I'm laying a fibreglass seat base and a half inch foam over it right after I chop the subframe and wrap the header. Oh and knobblies Len I dig de knobblies. I'm also growing a beard as fast as I can too.

CJ, random factoid, me and japcati grew up very close to your name sakes homeplace in Dubberlin. Yep that's the HE kit as sold by Herr Hessler cept I cheaped out by twigging the caliper used was a lhs grimeca 4 potter (used on a gilera nordwest) which I bought cheap as NOS from Bob Wright in the UK. Paired up with a 13mm master, springs and revalve that's as good as most modern tackle up front. Be interested to see does she flex without additional bracing....I'm no racer type so should be sweet.
    How goes yer works?
    I have been co-opted into Garden works and for the sake of peace I have complied fully....for now.

I did something similar with the Dommie, but I cheaped out and got a local machinist to make the carrier, and used an EBC 320mm kit for a XR650L for the disc, Stock Brembo setup off an SLR650 so all from Honda 650 RFVC but different bikes.
    Made a nice difference to the wooden Nissin's that came stock.
    Brembo always were a lot sharper in feel.

I need to get a proper custom brake hose made up, just jerry rigged one off my RMX250S to fit but the hose is much too long.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I have been co-opted into Garden works and for the sake of peace I have complied fully....for now.

I did something similar with the Dommie, but I cheaped out and got a local machinist to make the carrier, and used an EBC 320mm kit for a XR650L for the disc, Stock Brembo setup off an SLR650 so all from Honda 650 RFVC but different bikes.
    Made a nice difference to the wooden Nissin's that came stock.
    Brembo always were a lot sharper in feel.

I need to get a proper custom brake hose made up, just jerry rigged one off my RMX250S to fit but the hose is much too long.

I've attempted an upsell on the "it's the natural meadow look, dermot gavin says it's in right now" but no dice:pac:

Singular the best mod to these type older bikes is a brake update. Wooden is a good descriptor, they're there but blunted and cannot be relied upon. I've done a rolling stoppie on my 90/90/21 up to a zafira that pulled out on me in mitchelstown maxol last summer. Try that on a stock big and you would be implanted in the side of it. Showis a pic of your set up.

https://www.helperformance.com/custom-braided-brake-lines
    These are the guys I use for a custom line. Being able to specify banjo angle and rubber fitting grommets means you can make routing very neat indeed but I recommend measuring your length requirements with the fork topped out and bars to rhs lock.
    Here's my custom order, had it in a coupe days. Of note, you can turn the end fittings to eliminate twist or routing bulge!
    Screenshot-20200527-214113-com-android-chrome.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

HEL lines are the shiz...totally transforms the feel of average brakes just sticking in HEL lines and new fluid.

HEL lines are the shiz...totally transforms the feel of average brakes just sticking in HEL lines and new fluid.

The full flush and refill of fresh n bleed is the shiz lol but braided lines are the cherry on top;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

tbh, i dont notice the difference. If having to replace lines due to deterioration of old lines, then yes 100% upgrade to braided. But if people are out there looking to get some significant difference ripping out new rubber lines, then no i wouldn't bother my arse.

The difference would be negligible imo

listermint wrote: »
    tbh, i dont notice the difference. If having to replace lines due to deterioration of old lines, then yes 100% upgrade to braided. But if people are out there looking to get some significant difference ripping out new rubber lines, then no i wouldn't bother my arse.

Eeeeew this sounds like a wd40 as chain lube direction haha:pac::D If that's your finding from actual experience then fair dues and that's good for you.
    Myself anytime I fit braided lines I'd say the majority of the improvement is felt from a complete flush of shagged old moisture laced fluid and a fresh bled refill.
    Could I discern a new rubber hose fitted with fresh bled fluid versus braided line? I reckon I could yeah, initial bite tends to be better on braided as the tendency of the rubber line is to expand somewhat, whereas the ptfe inner is restrained by the tensioned metal braid which dramatically decreases that effect. YMMV as the more balanced might say hahaha;)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

You're right the fresh fluid probably accounted for most of the change in feel but then the lines I replaced were 15 years old so about as effective as a bit of garden hose!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,878 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Nearly two months since I blew the fork seal on my SV1k, finally got around to ordering the bits last night :rolleyes:

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

Nearly two months since I blew the fork seal on my SV1k, finally got around to ordering the bits last night :rolleyes:

I feel your pain. Had the forks on my blade done last month after it shat itself and dumped fork oil in my yard.

Did an oil change over the weekend, bar the external condition of the filter I’d have gotten another year out of it :pac:

7585-D493-7825-44-B0-8-A60-372-B474484-DF.jpg

60-B256-CC-C959-4152-843-E-F40-FE3-D9-A778.jpg

• Advertisement

Eeeeew this sounds like a wd40 as chain lube direction haha:pac::D If that's your finding from actual experience then fair dues and that's good for you.
    Myself anytime I fit braided lines I'd say the majority of the improvement is felt from a complete flush of shagged old moisture laced fluid and a fresh bled refill.
    Could I discern a new rubber hose fitted with fresh bled fluid versus braided line? I reckon I could yeah, initial bite tends to be better on braided as the tendency of the rubber line is to expand somewhat, whereas the ptfe inner is restrained by the tensioned metal braid which dramatically decreases that effect. YMMV as the more balanced might say hahaha;)

I'm fully versed in how they operate.

You completely missed by point and il disregard the wd40 jibe for the moment.

I've seen plenty of people expect braided lines to light their world on fire for braking. They won't. If your lines need changing then yes definitely do it. It your lines are new it's not worth it you won't notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Did an oil change over the weekend, bar the external condition of the filter I’d have gotten another year out of it :pac:

7585-D493-7825-44-B0-8-A60-372-B474484-DF.jpg

60-B256-CC-C959-4152-843-E-F40-FE3-D9-A778.jpg

Better to change it yearly anyway.

See that was easy wasn't it?

I'm fully versed in how they operate.

You completely missed by point and il disregard the wd40 jibe for the moment.

I've seen plenty of people expect braided lines to light their world on fire for braking. They won't. If your lines need changing then yes definitely do it. It your lines are new it's not worth it you won't notice.

Wrong side of the bed lister?:):pac:
    Sure this is the Internet, everyone's fully versed in everything!
    "But if people are out there looking to get some significant difference ripping out new rubber lines, then no i wouldn't bother my arse"
    My point addressed this. I reckon it could be noticed, tbh dont really give a flying one either way but always willing to listen/learn to a rational explanation of real first hand experience.

Ps when I should expect problems re the wd "jibe"? high noon? :eek::pac:

blade1 wrote: »
    Better to change it yearly anyway.

See that was easy wasn't it?

Yeah I agree. The real challenge begins later this week. Service a busa I’ve only ridden once :pac:

By the way look over in the motors chat forum, I did the wife’s car in the stages verbthe last few days.

Cars aren’t a problem :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Yeah I agree. The real challenge begins later this week. Service a busa I’ve only ridden once :pac:

By the way look over in the motors chat forum, I did the wife’s car in the stages verbthe last few days.

Cars aren’t a problem :D

:eek: :pac:
    faa94217fe0378c13284014ad9eaf073.jpg

Wrong side of the bed lister?:):pac:
    Sure this is the Internet, everyone's fully versed in everything!
    "But if people are out there looking to get some significant difference ripping out new rubber lines, then no i wouldn't bother my arse"
    My point addressed this. I reckon it could be noticed, tbh dont really give a flying one either way but always willing to listen/learn to a rational explanation of real first hand experience.

Ps when I should expect problems re the wd "jibe"? high noon? :eek::pac:

Dawn.

Dawn.

Handbags or slaps with wet fish? :pac:
    So what you up to at yer own bike at the mo Lister?

blade1 wrote: »
    :eek: :pac:
    faa94217fe0378c13284014ad9eaf073.jpg

Hey hey :p

Before

6-EF3-D3-E1-B20-D-4-FC5-AC28-7173-E47-CD0-CE.jpg

After

FCCAAF59-F020-467-A-882-C-41-D4-E95074-E4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan