Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any idea what this bird is?

• 29-05-2020 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Might help to include a pic of the bird ( well at least a link)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

He was hunting another bird.

https://youtu.be/lOKuCHhp6Jk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

looks like a buzzard

If you have the sound on when watching the video you will hear this bird glance off the gate shortly after the buzzard.

The speed is incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

If you have the sound on when watching the video you will hear this bird glance off the gate shortly after the buzzard.

The speed is incredible

Don't think it's a buzzard at all,much too agile, buzzard is bigger, looks like an osprey, though they are rare as Fu*k here, I might be 100 PC wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

He was hunting another bird.

https://youtu.be/lOKuCHhp6Jk

Great clip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Don't think it's a buzzard at all,much too agile, buzzard is bigger, looks like an osprey, though they are rare as Fu*k here, I might be 100 PC wrong

Buzzards are very agile. Yes, they like to find an easy meal whenever the oppertunity arrives, but are well capable of chasing pray.

Of course they are not as agile as some species, but not as lazy as whats often depicted

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭HoteiMarkii

The speed is incredible

Fascinating footage.
    It looks like the Buzzard is being pursued by a Sparrowhawk. Both birds appear in frame in the second screenshot (see post #5); the Sparrowhawk is flying over the top rung of the nearest gate, while the Common Buzzard can be seen flying over the gates further on (in the top left hand corner of the image).

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

There's another bird that almost hits the buzzard.Accident or on purpose?
    515854.PNG

upupup wrote: »
    There's another bird that almost hits the buzzard.Accident or on purpose?
    515854.PNG

I seen this as this being the bird that the buzzard was hunting.. but missed the strike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'd say the Buzzard was after another raptors kill. Other raptor was having none of it, looks like the smaller one (merlin, kestrel, sparrowhawk) gives the passing buzzard a good passing clout.

Comes in from the left, bang, up and then after the buzzard again.

I seen this as this being the bird that the buzzard was hunting.. but missed the strike

The bird that flies up and away when the Buzzard first appears looks like a Jackdaw. I don't think the Buzzard was trying to predate the Jackdaw at all. It was the least of its worries with a Sparrowhawk on its tail!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

The bird that was being chased by the Buzzard was a small bird that flew under the gate and went left shown with my wobbly red line
    A dark coloured bird was in the area to the left and was disturbed and almost collided with the Buzzard and then flew straight up.
    The sparrowhawk/Kestrel was following the buzzard for unknown reasons.
    That's my report anyway:)
    515878.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

The hunter in this case is 100% a buzzard. The bird it was after was 100% a mistle thrush!...sorted!

After looking again it cant be seen what the buzzard is hunting but the bird chasing him is definitely a mistle thrush and not a sparrowhawk

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how can you tell it's a mistle thrush and not a song thrush? the surrounding landscape?

Just by the colouration of the tail. And the size compared to a song thrush. Mistles thrushes are very protective if they've a nest near by and will often cash off predators like crows and birds of prey

cd07 wrote: »
    After looking again it cant be seen what the buzzard is hunting but the bird chasing him is definitely a mistle thrush and not a sparrowhawk

Nah, not buying it's a Mistle Thrush at all. The bird in the footage is quite a bit larger than a Mistle Thrush. Pause the footage several times after it hits the gate and you can see how long its wingspan is. The speed at which it's flying is phenomenal.

Advertisement