Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Releasing a wood pigeon back to the wild

• 27-05-2020 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi Boarders,

About 3,5 weeks ago I found a young (about 22-24 days old) wood pigeon on my doorstep. It fell from the roof of my development and hurt his wing but thankfully didn't break it. He lost most of his little feathers on the wing, was bruised a bit but other than that he is healthy and well. I decided to take care of him until he is strong enough to be released. I gave him a big mirror so he could see "other" pigeons and my friend suggested me to play a sound of his own species from YouTube from time to time, so I do. A bit over the top I know but due to the pandemic i have plenty of free time to spare.
    I feed him with various wild birds seeds, peas and spinach and he has access to water all the time. He is big and strong now but due to the featherless gap on his left wing he can't fly yet, only does clumsy serpentines. I read that it may take 6-8 weeks when the gap is filled with new feathers and I already see that they slowly but surely grow back.

I have a question regarding releasing the pigeon to the wild.

I live in Ranelagh. I know that the bird has a family here and there are 2 small parks nearby but the nearest water is about 500 metres away. We also have a few families of foxes in the area and a busy road so this is a big danger.

Can you please advise if I should release him in the very same spot I have found him or maybe choose another much safer place for him? If the second option, can you please advise where? Would the Dublin Botanic Gardens or Morehampton Road Wildlife Sanctuary in Dublin 4 be ok as e.g. there are many wood pigeons families there or maybe St. Stephen's Green Park would be better? Maybe the Iveagh Gardens or somewhere else?
    Should the bird be kept with his family in Ranelagh area or it's not necessary?
    And finally, since he has an easy access to the seeds and water now, will he be ok to find food on his own when released to the wild? Would he even understand that the seeds he eats now are not going to be laying around but that he will have to look for it?

I would very appreciate your advice. I called and emailed Kildare Wildlife Sanctuary 2 days ago, left 2 voice messages but they dont bother to respond.

Attached 2 pics - one from the day I found him and the other from yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ulmus

I'd release him from your home once his wing feathers grow and he's strong enough to fly. Do you have a balcony or space outside, safe from cats, where you could put out food/water in case he returns?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Curious1002

Thanks for the reply.
    No, i live in an apartment block with no backyard, no balcony, only one window but it doesnt open the way twhere you could place any food or water. It's a huge bay window and opens from a mid section upwards.

So you recommend the bird to be released in Ranelagh where his parenrs are? I am kinda worried about the foxes nearby (i counted at least 3 adults and 2 young) and a busy road beside me. Also, i read that wood pigeons lay new eggs pretty quickly after the first youngsters leave the nest so the parents wouldnt really be interested in the old "baby" even if he reappears in 2 weeks or so.
    I see people leaving bird food in Ranelagh Triangle and in Ranelagh Park for regular pigeons and ducks so i could do the same
    I want to do what would give him the best chance for survival when released.

I wouldn't worry about foxes. Cats are more of a problem for preying on birds. Once he's strong enough to fly around your room without flapping to the floor he should be safe in the trees in Ranelagh. His parents won't recognise him now and he could be chased away for invading their territory. You've done a great job looking after him. You could contact Birdwatch Ireland for advice if you can't get through to Kildare Animal Foundation Wildlife Unit.

You are the best, Ulmus, you have put me at ease. Thank you for that. I will give him a few more weeks until i see him flying around my room nicely and will let him go then. I will update this thread when this happens.
    Until then thanks again and stay safe you all!

Fair play to you Curious. Hat's off for making the effort.

• Advertisement

https://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f47/how-to-soft-release-young-wood-pigeon-46610.html
    I hope your pigeon makes it. Best of luck and thanks for looking after him.

Ulmus wrote: »
    https://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f47/how-to-soft-release-young-wood-pigeon-46610.html
    I hope your pigeon makes it. Best of luck and thanks for looking after him.

The link you provided is amazing, like if I was reading my own story! It answered all my questions and waved away a lot of my concerns. I dread the day i have to release him but i guess I will just keep my fingers crossed for him. He belongs to the outside world.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I did this once with a duck when I was a kid. He was in quite a bad state in our yard, I could literally walk over and pick him up. Kept him in a shed and fed him for about 6 or 8 weeks until he was in good shape and brought him to lough Ree and released him

Always felt quite good about it. It's nice to be nice

Just to let you know that my Fluffy is now released to the wild. It didn't go as planned. I thought I chose a perfect place, perfect time and day for him but he didn't want to wait and was just kept jumping on the window hurting himself. I also didn't predict how hard it will be for me to actually catch him and put to the carrier since he was flying freely in my spare room. So I just opened the window and let him go, but he bumped on my window frame one last time on the way to his freedom. It was awful to witness it. Sadly, shortly after I saw him on the nearby tree he was being beaten up by other wood pigeons that probably nested there. After 2 minutes he flew off and i lost his sight. What a shame he didn't eat or drink enough before he was gone. Based on the last day he was with me he now probably hates all human beings, which is actually a good thing. The only consolation I have for myself is seeing him flying nicely and gracefully, just perfect.
    Well, that's how life goes I suppose. His daddy now hopes he is okay and will join the right group of woodies that will teach him all practical and survival skills. That's all folks. Thanks for reading and for all your advice.

The last pic of my woodie:

516647.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

No pic!

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    No pic!

a moderator must have removed my pic. I uploaded again.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=516646&stc=1&d=1592324650

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Mod: We definitely didn't - that post was edited 4 times, all by yourself. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Fair play OP, it'll be a great memory and story for the rest of your life

New Home wrote: »
    Mod: We definitely didn't - that post was edited 4 times, all by yourself. :)

Cos I keep adding the pic to my post 4 times and shortly after it's removed. Look above now, 8.10pm, it's there. It will be gone by 8.30pm. Doesn't matter anymore, the bird is gone just like the pic is gone, nothing i can do.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The pic is still there, I was only pointing out that we mods didn't touch it.

Advertisement