Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating birds nest?

• 28-05-2020 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

We have a nest on the gable of the house that we are moving into soon. Although it’s lovely now, to hear the birds singing when we are in the house, I don’t think we’ll enjoy it as much at the crack of dawn when we do move in.

I am not looking to tear it off the gable, what is the best way to deal with this? I am fairly sure they are swallows.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

We have a nest on the gable of the house that we are moving into soon. Although it’s lovely now, to hear the birds singing when we are in the house, I don’t think we’ll enjoy it as much at the crack of dawn when we do move in.

I am not looking to tear it off the gable, what is the best way to deal with this? I am fairly sure they are swallows.

It's illegal to interfere with an active nest. Keep an eye until the chicks fledge, get a ladder and double-check the nest is empty and then you can take it down, though you'll have to line the wall with plastic or something or they'll rebuild.

They sound more like House Martin's - I've never once heard of someone complaining about noise from swallows or House Martin's, and I deal with **a lot** of complaints about bords. So don't jump to action until you're sure it's a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

They'll be gone out of it in 3 or 4 weeks, you can then take action to prevent them from using the nest or site again.
    Swallows are not the greatest of singers so you're going to have to suffer a lot of unwarranted 'noise' from other avian sources.
    Personally I think it's fantastic that such a small bundle of feathers has flown across continents to grace you with their presence, I'd think it's the least you can do to put with them for a short period of time.....
    And, they have the law on their side, it would be illegal to interfere with an active bird's nest.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

in short, there's no such thing as 'relocating' a birds nest. you either leave it (till the brood have fledged at least), or destroy it/prevent it from being used.

also, you've not even moved into the house yet, so it's a little premature to be taking action on it. i know people who lived in a house for decades where house martins nested in the gable walls and it never gave them a moment's problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

House Martens stick around until Aug/Sept especially if they have more than 1 brood.

We had them for decades and the only issue was cleaning up the droppings below the nest once or twice a year. They are zero trouble beyond that. Totally benign compared to some other birds like gulls. They are not noisy and are a delight to behold as they zoom around the place keeping down the insects above your property.

I don't live in that house any more and really, really, really miss them.

You are very lucky imho and would recommend you do nothing to deter them for both legal reasons and your own pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

If they are no harm I'll give them a chance before I go issuing any eviction orders. Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement