Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Distance app

• 28-05-2020 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭

Any app that will let me input a distance I want to travel from my home,in a loop ,and map it for me? Not a radius app.. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

Have you tried Strava and map my walk?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Wanderer19 wrote: »
    Have you tried Strava and map my walk?

Not yet will they do that

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Any app that will let me input a distance I want to travel from my home,in a loop ,and map it for me? Not a radius app.. thanks

MapMyRun

Possibly the same as MapMyWalk but I use it measuring the routes I walk/run

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Planning a route:
    Mapmyrun, mapmywalk, google maps, plots route. will measure a route for you on a map. I think they’ll all require some sort of manual input though.

Strava will record and save a route that you walk/run/cycle in real time. And the premium version will generate a route based on the options you select.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

Not yet will they do that
    You can do it on Strava, not sure how, I normally follow someone else or record it as I go.

Mapmy run/walk/cycle are the same app, you can choose the activity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,019 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I think what the OP is looking for is an app that will devise a route for him. He inputs a starting point and a desired distance, and the app then plots a loop route starting from that point of that distance.

I'm not aware of an app that will do this.

The best you can do is to devise a route yourself that you think might be about the desired distance, check on the app what distance it actually is, and then use the app to fine-tune it until it is the distance you want.

Some of the exercise apps - e.g. mapmyrun - will suggest routes in a particular area (though I think not from a particular starting point) that other users have done, and you can look through these to see if any of them are about the distance you want.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I think what the OP is looking for is an app that will devise a route for him. He inputs a starting point and a desired distance, and the app then plots a loop route starting from that point of that distance.

I'm not aware of an app that will do this.

Strava will do it. I mentioned it above.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,019 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Mellor wrote: »
    Strava will do it. I mentioned it above.
    So you did; my mistake.

I'm a cheapskate, so I only have the free version of Strava.

I'll give Strava a look, thanks folks

Peregrinus wrote: »
    So you did; my mistake.

I'm a cheapskate, so I only have the free version of Strava.

Fellow free version pauper here.
    Got an email about it the other day trying to seduce me over

• Advertisement

Signed up,first two months free,cancel anytime,planned my routes,thanks again,best app I've looked at.

Advertisement